PDA

View Full Version : These are sweet

Triathlete
12/14/2003, 02:17 PM
Checking to see if these will work on the VX. They offer more clearance when offroading plus they are heavy duty. They are made by Stinkyfab (www.stinkyfab.com).
http://www.stinkyfab.com/images/trooplinks/installlink2.jpg

NC_VX
12/14/2003, 03:05 PM
I am sure Tone or someone out there can find the answer to this, and I think Triathlete is checking with the Manufacturer....

These are awesome. I want a pair and will order them if they fit.

Great find Triathlete~!!! :D :D :D :D

Triathlete
12/14/2003, 09:13 PM
Here is what Dallas of Stinkyfab had to say...

Everything I have seen and heard tells me that they will work, though I have not actually tested them on a VX yet. If you can take a couple quick measurements from your truck and email em to me I can tell you for sure. Either that or maybe one of the SoCal VX guys could stop by for a test fitting. If they are different, and I can get a VX over here for a day I will make up a Jig for them as well. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I will get the measurements for him tomorrow!:thumbup:
Here is a link to the thread at 4x4 wire...LINK (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=407508&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1)

NC_VX
12/15/2003, 04:58 AM
That is good news for now.... Can't wait for the final okay!!!! This looks like a good inexpensive gift for myself!

Apostle
12/15/2003, 04:56 PM
NEWB here

what are they and what do they do?

Moncha
12/15/2003, 05:29 PM
Those are replacements for the bars that you can see hanging down from about mid point going to the rear axle. They keep the rear end from mistracking. Basically, if you looked at a teeter totter from under ground the fulcrum point would be your driveshaft link and without the bars, the axle would be able to move in and out. Hope that makes sense.:wtfo: :right:

BTW.. These would be GREAT!!!

Apostle
12/15/2003, 06:53 PM
Moncha, not at all

teeter totter? ah well, if they help with makeing the V better, then im interested in them. watching for info

NC_VX
12/15/2003, 09:32 PM
These guys said that if you were willing to lend them your VX for the day, they could check it all out and if they don't line up, they will custom make them...

So all you Southern Cal peep's, consider this and take one for the team!!!!

Moncha
12/15/2003, 09:43 PM
Ok, how about this...

Triathlete
12/16/2003, 08:41 AM
Apostle,
These bars are replacements for the already existing ones. The bend in them offers more clearence when off roading. With out track bars your @$$end would be all over the place (in laymens terms):naughty: They are also beefier and have a better joint which offers a little more flex.:thumbup:

Anita
12/16/2003, 08:46 AM
They are located about an hour and a half or so away from me. I could go down there to let them measure it up but I wouldnt be able to go until after Christmas. Surely they wouldnt need it for very long....

Randii
12/16/2003, 11:39 AM
:Poof: appearing out of thin air :Poof:

Scott, I dunno if they make 'em in yellow. :p

Here's the official press release from Dallas at StinkyFab:
http://www.4x4wire.com/news/stinkyfab/links/

...and a reader-submitted install report from Gilbert on the self-same parts:
http://www.4x4wire.com/news/stinkyfab/links/install.htm

I can't imagine these will be any different on VXs. Maybe these will provide enough clearance so that I won't strand so many VXs on Kane Creek next year! ;Do; (I blame the spotter, not the truck!)

:Poof: disappearing back into the thin air of lurker-dom :Poof:

Randii

Randii
12/16/2003, 11:43 AM
:Poof: appearing out of thin air :Poof:

Oh, and ;Db; ;Dr; HAPPY HOLIDAYS ;Dr; ;Db; to the VX clan!

:Poof: disappearing back into the thin air of lurker-dom :Poof:

Randii

Moncha
12/16/2003, 01:15 PM
Good to see ya Randii!!

I always have lots of Proton Paint on hand!!!:yeso:

Randii
12/16/2003, 02:05 PM
I was pretty surprised NOT to see Oso wearing a few pacthes of Proton... Then again, spray-painting members of your family may not be the best idea! ;eeky;

Randii

FIEND
12/16/2003, 03:40 PM
If I remember correctly Dallas makes his parts in that wonderful shade of green only but who knows...if he builds it custom maybe you could sweet talk him into a custom color...LOL.:nuke:

StinkBug
12/16/2003, 07:40 PM
No no no, I only make my own parts in that oh so awful shade of green, and yours if you request it. Though technically I'm not supposed to paint anything in my shop so generally everything ships out in bare steel. I just painted the first links green to make em show up better in pics.

As for fitting the VX, according to the measurement Triathelete posted on the wire they are the same length as the trooper ones, so the straight links will definitely fit. I'm almost positive the bent High Clearance ones will fit as well, but a test fitting will be required to make sure there is nothing extra on the VX that would get in the way.

Thank you
Dallas Nunn

Anita
12/17/2003, 12:02 AM
Stinkbug,

Are you located in S.D. or in Vista which I saw on your website? I'm in Pasadena so its not too long a journey should you want to check your product on a VX. You can post here or email me should you want to set up a meeting. Seems that there is a good deal of interest so Ill make my VX the guinea pig again....;Dr;

Triathlete
12/17/2003, 08:28 AM
Your the best Anita!:thumbup: :thanx:

sveltax
12/17/2003, 09:28 AM
Let me know when you go down, I'd like to take my Axiom down for a test fit as well.

~Jeff

Anita
12/17/2003, 10:00 AM
Deal...

I could go down either on Friday the 26th or over that weekend. Jeff, PM me and let me know your availability and Dallas PM or email me a phone number where I can get in touch with you.

Triathlete
12/17/2003, 10:19 AM
Anita,
Here is Dallas' shop contact info from his site...
StinkyFab
760-525-6886
stinkbug@stinkyfab.com
Vista, CA

VX_PA
12/17/2003, 11:43 AM
Hey StinkBug,

While you have Anita's VX can you measure up the front end and see what you can fabricate as far as a Skid Bar like the one Jaos makes. You had stated that you could make one for way cheaper than the $600 it sells for. I just didn't know anyone that could bring their VX to you for measurements. What do you think??

Is it okay with you Anita if he measures the front also?? Just thought we could take care of 2 issues at one time.

StinkBug let us know what a front skid bar would cost.

Thanks,

Mike

Anita
12/17/2003, 11:48 AM
Mike,

If its cool with Dallas it is cool with me.

VX_PA
12/17/2003, 12:20 PM
Now we just have to wait to hear from Dallas.

Anita, you rock;) It's tough to be the sacrificial lamb.

StinkBug
12/17/2003, 03:56 PM
This weekend wont work for me, cause i'm gonna be out of town for the holidays, but after the 1st we should be able to get together just about any time. I have a spare Trooper link already made so test fitting it should only take a few minutes for the VX, and I should have one made for the rodeo/amigo by that time as well so we can check that one on the axiom to make sure they interchange.

If you've got the time to leave the VX for a couple hours I can see about fabbin up a skid bar as well.

Dallas Nunn
www.stinkyfab.com

Teckhardt
12/21/2003, 03:47 PM
A couple of questions:

Does the bend in the link limit upward travel at all?

I was also wondering if you could look at the VX for maybe making some rock sliders.

Anita
12/21/2003, 10:27 PM
Dallas,

How about the 3rd then? Okay with you, Jeff?

StinkBug
12/22/2003, 10:11 PM
No the bend doesn't interfere with suspension travel in either direction. On the troopers there is a body mount above the links so I designed the links to clear it. I'm betting the mount will be in the same spot on the VX but will have to check when Anita comes down. As for the sliders, I can make em for pretty much everything, just have to have a truck to build off of.

Yes the 3rd will work for me. If you wanna have me build you a set of links when you come down I'll have to order some bushings or RE joints before then so if thats the case just let me know. I can usually get all my suspension parts overnight from my supplier but with the holidays everything is a little tricky. Just let me know what you'd like to do.

Thanks
Dallas

Po' Riggity
12/22/2003, 10:29 PM
I can testify to Dallas' work.. He is one of the best fabricators Ive seen in a long time.. Here's the tube fenders he made for me.. and I plan on going back to him for a full cage remake...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p977eb95c7e4c78d758ed852bbd5214e0/faf33b06.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p2bdee79b45dcaf0f010841184c8c5d7f/faf33b05.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p38b2bc296a9c65755411bd392d2603f1/faf33b01.jpg

:D
Scott

Teckhardt
12/23/2003, 08:58 PM
Dallas -

Can you measure up Anita's truck to build me a set of sliders?

Would love to talk to you about the details, if its a possiblity.

Trenton

VX_PA
01/06/2004, 06:04 AM
Hey, has anything happened yet with the sway bars, skid bar, and possibly sliders??? Haven't heard from ya in awhile Stinkbug. I will be in Arizona until the middle of January so I won't be able to check the website for this info until I get back.

Dallas,

Can you e-mail me pics and prices for these items?
cordellmf@yahoo.com

Thank you both for your time and committment to the VX.

Anita
01/06/2004, 08:40 AM
I have yet to set an appointment up with Dallas of Stinkyfab. Now that the holidays are over and things are somewhat settled down, I'll give Dallas a call this week.

VX_PA
01/06/2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks again Anita. :D

StinkBug
01/06/2004, 11:56 AM
Sounds good Anita. Just gimmie a call when you get a chance. I ended up getting sick and was out of commission for a few days when i got home after the holidays. I'm pretty much back up to speed now and am busy as ever :) Just let me know when you wanna come down and I'll scoot some stuff outta the way for ya.

Dallas

trooperdude
01/06/2004, 12:35 PM
Since my Trooper was used to prototype the Stinkylinks, I figured I would give you my impressions.

1. The links greatly improved handling on fast curves (freeway onramps) Since my trooper is fairly top heavy, I was really impressed with the reduced body lean and solid feel they gave my trooper. The R.E joints are much more solid than the stock rubber bushings thus giving the tighter feel.

2. Vastly improved ground clearance. I bent my stock links constantly while off roading, especially when going over ledges like in Moab. The bent links offer at least an extra 3"- 4" of clearance.

3. Improved articulation. The R.E. joints offer 22 1/2 degrees of movement. far greater than the stock rubber bushing.

4. Beefier Matieral than stock. The steel tubing used is twice as thick as stock ones. Highly unlikely I will ever bend them.

5. They look way cool!

I think these would make a really cool mod for VX's, Let me know if you guys have any questions

Gilbert;Dp;

Anita
01/06/2004, 12:45 PM
Gilbert! Good to see you here.

Thanks for the input. I always value your opinions!

Cyrk
01/06/2004, 01:13 PM
So do they help on normal/spirited driving? I never go off-road with mine and I am always looking for ways to improve the handling of the VX.

EDIT: I just read Gilbert post... Gilbert can you tell me a little more on the street differences?

Thanks,
-Dave

Anita
01/06/2004, 01:17 PM
Made an appointment for this Saturday the 10th. Sveltax (Jeff) and Gilbert - wanna come down too? Anyone else?

Spike
01/06/2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry.. I will be on a plane to Cancun on the 10th... Besides, I am waaaaaay over here near Philadelphia.

But, I will be in LA on the 26th for 10 days ... sans VX unfortunately. :sadb:

But maybe some generous VX owner in LA will allow me to go for a spin to check out some various mods. ;Db;

Anita
01/06/2004, 08:39 PM
Gosh... who could that generous VX owner be. :rollr: Dont know anyone like that here........:flame:

Spike
01/06/2004, 08:42 PM
Dunno... anyone out there with a SuperCharger, I hope.. :)
(Guess that rules YOU out...)

Anita
01/06/2004, 08:45 PM
Dont know if any are out here... good luck on your quest.

;Dr;

SPAZZ
01/06/2004, 08:48 PM
I could show up too!!! I am at Swordy's now typing..... Will be staying at Miramar for a bit.

coachreed
01/07/2004, 05:40 AM
I saw a custom set of those before... fabricated right on the trail when a buddy of mine in his Pathfinder tried crawling over a rock that was too big for him... made a nice bend in his track bars... making for some GREAT clearance... of course, I was able to crawl over same said rock and not touch anything! ;Db; I however would be intersted in a set of these when they are available. I look forward to seeing them available.

Later!

AK VX Lvr
01/07/2004, 09:08 AM
I'd be interested in a pair of these for my VX also...looking forward to the results from Anita's fitting!!
Thx,
Dave
:cool!:

StinkBug
01/08/2004, 10:37 PM
Looks like there should be at least 2 VXs over at the StinkyShop on saturday. I'll get a definite answer on the links, and if there is time I'll try fabbin up some other stuff too :)

Dallas

SPAZZ
01/09/2004, 12:44 PM
I will be there

Anita
01/09/2004, 05:43 PM
All set for tomorrow. I'll take pics of the set-up and post 'em.

Cant wait!

BaM*BaM
02/29/2004, 09:35 AM
What happened to these?

Heraclid
02/29/2004, 09:49 AM
There are pics in Anita's gallery, and another thread with pics from the fitting. Do a search for "Stinkyfab visit".

SPAZZ
02/29/2004, 04:17 PM
I was there at the visit and picked up a pair of the straight bars with Rubicon Express joints...