PDA

View Full Version : Wheel/Tire combos

paultvx
11/19/2002, 07:11 PM
I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the subject.

What's the most ideal backspacing for 16" rims? Ideal=wider track than stock.

Got stock 18s now. Wanting to try 255/70-16.

Figuring the 0.5" difference in diameter won't throw the speedo or gearing off too much.

Got other tire sizes to suggest? Fire away. :)

Quest
11/19/2002, 07:42 PM
Paultvx, it depends. Do you want the tires to stick out as much as possible for lateral stability/looks or do you want the biggest diameter possible with the least impact on the cladding?? For the latter, more backspacing is desirable to minimize the pivot radius. However, on a stock VX you cannot use a backspacing on the front axle greater than stock (5.5") or the rim and/or wheel weights will hit the upper ball joint. However, once the wheel diameter reaches 18" or greater, the backspacing can increase slightly beyond this. I'm trying to find some 16" wheels myself; I'll be puting 255/85R16 tires on them (33" O.D.) and modifying the cladding. I'll be using different wheels in the rear (16x8) for 285/75R16 tires, which have the same diameter. In any case, be mindful of getting aftermarket wheels for the front axle; most won't accomodate the large hubs.

I just reread your post and maybe I answered the wrong question. If you want better handling, stick with the 18" rims. I have 18" with 1.25" spacers which reduce the backspacing to 4.25". The wheels look great (they are on the verge of sticking out but don't) and the cornering is awesome. However, a wheel which was 8" to 9" wide without the spacer would be an even better solution (again, hard to find). I'm curious: why go to 16" wheels if you're not going to use them for off-road? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
-- Quest

paultvx
11/19/2002, 11:55 PM
I will be keeping my stock 18s. Will be using the 16s with more aggressive all terrain or mud terrain tires come spring and summer for camping and general use. So.. basically general use with some off-roading.

I want to keep outer diameter as close to stock 29.5" as possible. Had a Grand Cherokee with 31" tires in the past and that was too much of a reduction in gearing. Really made a huge impact. The Jeep was pretty good to drive in stock form. With the 31s it felt like a slug. I don't want to make the same mistake with the VX... plus unlike the Jeep, the VX has plenty of ground clearance as is. There isn't much need to gain extra height.

I want the wheels/tires to move out a little, flush with cladding. Mostly for looks. That's the only thing I wish was different on the stock VX. Looks odd with the wheels tucked in. Reminds me of the Mopars in the 70s... not as bad, but still awkward.

Since 16" is a stock size... and I am not going extreme on tire size... it shouldn't be a problem as long as I chose the right offset. But, your're saying I can't use greater than stock 5.5" offset? There is no give or take on that? Not even just a little?

Triathlete
11/20/2002, 09:29 AM
Most good shops that keep a descent stock will put different size wheels on your vehicle and test fit them. This will help you find out what sizes you like and will work...then you just need to find a wheel you like in that size and go from there. I've had several vehicles that we've done test fits for tires...they are usually happy to do it as long as they get your business!

Quest
11/20/2002, 09:54 AM
Paultvx, offset and backspacing are different but related. In any case, to move the tires farther out, you want a SMALLER offset/backspace, so the issues I brought up are mostly irrelevant to you. Cragar's pdf catalog has a nice diagram showing what all these dimensions really mean. Here's how to convert between offset and backspace (units in inches):

BS = (W + 1) / 2 + OFFSET

OFFSET = BS - [(W + 1) / 2]

Note that (W + 1) is the industry standard method to express the external width of the rim measured lip-to-lip. The "official" rim width W is just the internal width the tire sees. Also, note that OFFSET can be either positive or negative; negative offset wheels stick out more.
-- Quest

Green Dragon
11/20/2002, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by paultvx
[
"I want to keep outer diameter as close to stock 29.5" as possible. Had a Grand Cherokee with 31" tires in the past and that was too much of a reduction in gearing. Really made a huge impact. The Jeep was pretty good to drive in stock form. With the 31s it felt like a slug. I don't want to make the same mistake with the VX... plus unlike the Jeep, the VX has plenty of ground clearance as is. There isn't much need to gain extra height."

I Run 265 -75 -16 BFG MT kMs on Stock Isuzu Wheels off road. Diameter is approx 31 which I feel is max size you can go without changing gearing. As for Ground clearance my feeling is you never have enough if your doing real off roading. plus you lose a little bit of height when you air down & a little bit more when you add skid plates.

Dragon Bob;pg;

paultvx
11/22/2002, 02:34 AM
How does 16x8 with 4.25" backspace sound? Think that'll work?

Quest
11/22/2002, 05:56 PM
16x8 @ 4.25" will stick out past the cladding to a degree that will be easily visible and technically illegal in some states (but will look cool). Your pivot radius would be large enough for a 30" tire to possibly hit the front fender cladding on turns. If you're going with 16x8 rims, why not use a more common backspacing like 4 5/8" or 5"??

Baxman
11/22/2002, 08:36 PM
Paul, these are 265/70-16 on 16 X 8 rims w/ zero offset (4" backspacing) Trimming front wheel wells is required, but it doesnt take long and no one can tell.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2ce20b3127cce90807cc4fcc10000003410

Rick

Quest
11/23/2002, 06:25 PM
Hey, those look nice. I agree with recommending zero offset wheels to Paul; athough the backspace would be 4.5", not 4". See earlier formula post.
--Quest

paultvx
11/24/2002, 01:42 AM
Well, so far I've only been able to find the wheels I want in 16x8 with 4.75 backspace. I assume that'd work?

Quest, where did you have to trim?

Okay.. just did a more thorough search online... Looks like my choices are:

16x8 with 5" backspace, 13.97 mm offset and 255 or 265/70-16 for tires.

or...

16x7 with 3.98" backsapce, 0 mm offset and 245/70-16 for tires. With this combo.. the stock spare should be OK to use if I ever need it.

Tires will probably be BFG A/T. Not talking about extreme off-roading here... just forest service roads and fire roads. Not likely to need airing down. Both rim options will probably push the outer edge of the rims 1.5" out from stock.

Wonder if either will work...?

Here's the rim I'm thinking of... cheap and won't mind if it gets messed up.
http://www.midwestlandcruiser.com/images/ar/AR767.jpg

Green Dragon
11/24/2002, 10:12 AM
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/55

Dragon Bob

TDAWG
11/24/2002, 02:19 PM
I read the post and figured I would tell you about my rims and tires. I have the Konig NRN rims in a 16X8 with Mickey Thompson BAJA Belted 32X11.5 tires. I had to do very little mods and so far so good but I also recently found out that they no longer make them. I will be posting pics of them soon.

paultvx
11/24/2002, 04:03 PM
It's been a while since I dealt with offset and backspacing. Can't remember the information and a bit confused now.

Backspace is the distance from the mounting surface to the back face, right?

And offset is distance between mounting surface to center, right?

I used the stock '99 16x7 rim as an example and drew up some quick diagrams. One diagram uses offset while the other uses backspace to define the mounting surface. The two diagrams don't match.

http://www.aaip.net/users/pault/diagram.jpg

Must be doing something wrong...

It almost looks like offset is distance from center to mounting surface while backspace is distance from rear rim to face of wheel (outside of mounting surface).

Daver
11/24/2002, 05:16 PM
I use one of these as my spare:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=534&occlass=TECH&cat=WHE&id=DHJHUJ43MMS92G3U00AKHLV8EK6PC4AD

http://www.4wheelparts.com/images/tech1blk.gif

TEC51-6883 is the part# for the one I have. 16x8 with a +12mm offset. I like the Tech 1 better than the American Racing because it doesn't have the red and blue stripes. :) Same dimensions as the American Racing 767-6883. Oddly enough that picture looks like a photochopped version of your American Racing picture. hmm...

My daily drivers are 16x8 with a +10mm offset. They stick out about 1.5" more than the stock 16/18x7s do. I also use BFG A/T KOs, size 265/70R16.

I don't have any pictures of how much my tires stick out, but for the VX, an extra 1.5" out is just right. :)

Good Luck,
-Daver

Baxman
11/25/2002, 08:54 PM
try this thread from Vmag (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001927.html)

Quest
11/25/2002, 09:23 PM
Paul, backspace is from mounting surface to rear external lip of rim. Your diagram did not distinguish between internal and external wheel width. But you're right that those two wheels you mentioned awhile back would stick out 1.5" more at the outside rim. I haven't cut my cladding YET (offroad wheels in progress), but my stock 18x7 wheels on spacers (net 4.25" backspace) come within about 0.5" of hitting the lower front corner of the front cladding. You may or may not need to trim here; get the wheels and tires you want and worry about it later. You trimming will be little or none if your tire diameter is less than 31" if you avoid negative offset wheels [This is just an extrapolation -- luckily others with actual experience are posting]
--Quest

paultvx
11/25/2002, 10:39 PM
The two diagrams I drew are of the same wheel: stock 16 x 7, 5.5" backspace and 38 mm offset. Drawn at 30% of full size. Actually drawn at 100% then reduced together to 30%. So, the diagrams are more or less to scale.

Even if I had accounted for the real width (external width) the diagrams should be identical. Unless, my assumptions the definition of "offset" and "backspace" are wrong. Looking at the discrepency between the diagram, it almost look just about wide enough to be the thickness of a wheel's face (center). If I didn't get the definitions wrong... then the 5.5" backspace number must be wrong (or wrong offset figure).

Anyway, I think I'll go for the American Racing with 5" backspace. Not the most ideal specs... but I am not about to spend twice as much on alloy rims. I'm keeping my stock 18s afterall.

Plus, with the kind of off-roading I'll be doing (very mild), I don't imagine I'll be needing a spare much. A bit of a pain dragging a full size spare on and off of the roof rack anyway. A can of fix-a-flat and a portable compressor (which I already have) ought to do the trick should they be needed. If that doesn't do it, I should be able to limp out with the factory spare. Sure it'll throw ABS codes left and right, but that's better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

As for trimming, got two Rotozips and a Dremel with plenty of cutting disks at my disposal. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks all for your help and input.

Boomer
12/05/2002, 03:14 PM
Anyone had any problems with 16" rims hitting the calipers?

-Boom

TDAWG
12/05/2002, 04:49 PM
I have 16X8 Koing NRN off-road rims with 32X11.50 mickey thompson tires and still haven't had a problem them just had to trim very little off the plastics. So far so good it doesn't hit the calipers or anything else. I have gone off-roading with them and use them as my winter wheels and tires.:flame:

paultvx
01/05/2003, 09:31 PM
Still on the hunt for wheels and tires... well, not true. Just too lazy to actually do anything about it. :) Xmas also put a dent in the wallet, which doesn't help.

While browsing around the web, I came across this dark beauty.

http://www.overlander.com/jpgs_genprod/wheel_victronpro_gm.jpg

They come in the right bolt pattern (6x139.7mm
) and with 0 offset as well. Expensive... but hey... who needs two kidneys?:o

sam
02/27/2003, 06:25 PM
Im thinking of getting some Antera 325 rims 20" in size. 9.5 x 20.
The tyres would 295x40xR20. Would this be a good idea?

Dallas4u
02/27/2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
[B]Xmas also put a dent in the wallet, which doesn't help.

While browsing around the web, I came across this dark beauty.

http://www.overlander.com/jpgs_genprod/wheel_victronpro_gm.jpg

B]
These JAOS wheels are still my favrotie! (Sorry, I heve to apolgize... I had a little fune at happy hour tonight and you wouldn't believe th edamage control I did on this post). I love these wheels.. SO DAMN expensive!!!! Oh and I have the Yokohama Geolander AT+II's.

paultvx
02/28/2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Sorry, I heve to apolgize... I had a little fune at happy hour tonight and you wouldn't believe th edamage control I did on this post.

Really? LOL.

Dallas4u
02/28/2003, 01:31 PM
Blah, I'm feeling it today, too. Blah :(

Speaking of wheels... I was sitting in Starbucks the other day and found myself staring at the charcoal colored wheels on a new Xterra. They actually are pretty nice...

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/nissan/xterra_2002/260/DSCN2973.jpg

http://www.transwheel.com/limages/NJ80.jpg

Reg Hinnant
02/28/2003, 09:01 PM
Guy's I have the Jaos rims on my wifes Montero (16") and I can tell you that they are the finest rims I've seen.
When the tires were mounted, the installers commented on how little weights were needed to balance them.
I have had them for 2 years and they still look like new, which is a good testiment since I live 3 blocks from salt water, in a moist hot climate.
The offset is wrong but I have been sorely tempted to swap wheels and then post a picture of the VX with them.

paultvx
02/28/2003, 10:40 PM
Do it! Do it!

Distract the wife first though.

Man, that really didn't sound right.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/21/2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Blah, I'm feeling it today, too. Blah :(

Speaking of wheels... I was sitting in Starbucks the other day and found myself staring at the charcoal colored wheels on a new Xterra. They actually are pretty nice...

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/nissan/xterra_2002/260/DSCN2973.jpg

http://www.transwheel.com/limages/NJ80.jpg

okay...so I wasn't drinkin coffee..more like pounding down some brewskies....

noticed the tri-spoke O.E.M. wheels on the Mitsubishi Montero Sport...what do ya think? (16" X 7")

http://www.mitsubishiparts4less.com/wheels_rims/montero-2000-any-any-wheels---ALY65773U10.html

although....I'll probably go Baxman's route with these rims:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=member_img_b/293000-293999/293164_211_full.jpg

paultvx
09/21/2003, 12:27 PM
Tri-spoke??? yuck. Get those beer goggles off, fast!!

Spike
09/21/2003, 12:39 PM
Tralfaz... yuk!

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/21/2003, 06:27 PM
LOL....okay...after "sobering up" I agree about the montero sport tri-spoke....but how about the American Racing rims on the jeep...kinda tri-spoke??? Leaning very much towards those.

Please be frank...I love honesty!

paultvx
09/21/2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
LOL....okay...after "sobering up" I agree about the montero sport tri-spoke....but how about the American Racing rims on the jeep...kinda tri-spoke??? Leaning very much towards those.

Please be frank...I love honesty!

If you ask me for honesty, you'll get brutal honesty. With that said...

How about a set of 14" Gold anodized Dayton wire wheels?

In short... ummm... no.

Centerline/Forgeline has some decent wheels... so do Boyd Coddington, and Jesse James (of West Coast Choppers).

If I had the bucks... I'd go for a set of Jaos.

Dallas4u
09/22/2003, 09:37 AM

If I had the bucks... I'd go for a set of Jaos.

Yes... JAOS would definitely be my choice, if I wanted to spend a lot of hard-earned (right) cash.

Jolly Roger VX'er
09/22/2003, 01:18 PM
How about a set of 14" Gold anodized Dayton wire wheels?

I think my dad had those on his '76 Ford Pinto stationwagon....lol.

Actually what got me on the tri-spoke kick was that I've always liked the tri-spoke "sawblade" look of the early Dodge Viper O.E.M. wheels. With my beer goggles on...lol..I kind of liked the Montero Sport rims on one parked outside the establishment. The pic I used for the link really makes them look worse than they do on the vehicle. I thought that Viper looking wheels on a VX might increase the sports car look of it. I like Baxman's wheels and found the other style while checking out the entire line. Noticed that Eagle has the same look on a couple of styles but they tend to run in 15" sizes whereas American Racing has more sizes to choose from. Anyways...I'm gonna check out the brands you guys listed...catch ya later!

TucsonVX
09/22/2003, 06:26 PM
This site will help you to figure any size tire diameter and speed diverence from a stock tire.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

paultvx
09/22/2003, 11:00 PM
I think it'd be really cool if one of you Flash monkeys make a VX specific tire calculator to put on this site.

I'd do it if I could... just starting to learn this swiss cheese program. Powerful, but swiss cheese (full of bugs). Never really been a fan of Macromedia products... almost need 3 monitors just to get everything situated so you can see what you're doing easily.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Dallas4u
09/23/2003, 09:42 AM
I thought the new Flash MX was a better, more solid product than the older Flash program?

paultvx
09/23/2003, 12:55 PM
It probably is better from what I hear, but it's still damn quirky.

deton8r
09/24/2003, 08:49 PM
What about some chrome 9-spoke Axiom wheels? I just got some 20s and don't need them. The tires are 235/65/17 GY Intergrity with 8k on them.

17 x 7 ET38 hub centric (includes lugs and locks)

http://home.earthlink.net/~deton8r/images/axiom/092802_fr_dr.jpg

E-mail me if you're interested.

Dallas4u
09/25/2003, 09:12 AM
Are you looking for a specific dollar amount? I like the Axiom wheels, and the chrome ones especially.

deton8r
09/25/2003, 09:36 PM
I'm hoping to get $750 for them. These aren't the '03 factory vapor chrome Axiom wheels, they're '02 ones custom plated through Wheel Exchange at a significant cost.

E-mail me if you're interested.