PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket MAF sensor?

jorma
12/13/2003, 10:24 AM
I saw an aftermarket MAF on ebay for the 3.5 Isuzu engine and it specifically lists the Vehicross, has anyone tried one of these?
Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447161169

It's not cheap at $270 so I'd like to know if it can be felt by the
"seat of the pants".

Also, Tone would this MAF also be of benefit to a SC'd engine?

Green Dragon
12/13/2003, 04:29 PM
Save your money & take out the metal screen in the VX OEM MAF sensor.

Dragon Bob

SGT.BATGUANO
12/14/2003, 12:19 AM
Someone here tried one of those before. They said it caused a code and removed it. I suggested he contact Granatelli for support but it was too late , he already sent it back. Maybe, given a chance, the problem could have been solved, considering that it was advertised to work on a VX.

johnnyapollo
12/14/2003, 07:37 AM
Supposedly the Granatelli MAF has better/additional sensor that improves the amount of information transmitted to the ECU (splitting hairs of time I guess), this is supposed to improve performance. It does not have a screen, but it sounds like it does a bit more than simply removing the screen from the stock unit. Who knows? They show some before/after numbers on one website I visited. However the example was not an Isuzu 3.5 so it's difficult to say if there would be marked improvement on a VX.

-- John

vx69
12/14/2003, 12:41 PM
John I am the one that tried the Granatelli MAF sensor, and I got no improvement I got lots of Check engine lights, and no matter what I did it killed the power, and made the vehicle run badly at idle. However I do have a supercharger installed so it may have been that the check engine lights were being registered because it was reading to much air into the intake the return policy was good and I got my money back, so if you do not have a Super charger you may want to try it. I got mine from JCWhitney

Green Dragon
12/14/2003, 02:19 PM
I have Supercharger, with OEM MAF Sensor screen removed- Runs fine- no check engine lights.

Dragon Bob

MachineVX
10/04/2004, 03:12 AM
I have a naturally aspirated VX. I added the Granatelli MAF last weekend. Disconnected the battery and reset the ECM. After 100 miles plus, I have had no problems with it. As to performance, I ran a 0 to 60 of 7.3, and an 1/8th mile of 9.92 @ 70.2 mph. Fastest I ran previous to installing it is a 0 to 60 of 7.70 and an 1/8th at 10.15. It was a gorgeous day with perfect weather, so I may just have been fast the day I tested the new MAF . . .

Ldub
10/05/2004, 10:51 AM
Dragon Bob,
Is it necessary to reset the ecu after screen removal? Just took it out on my lunchbreak & THEN it occoured to me, maybe I should have asked someone first. Oh well, I'll see if I get a ck. eng. light on the way back to work.

Thanks, Ldub

Dallas4u
10/05/2004, 11:02 AM
I would reset the ECU after any change to the intake settings... more free flowing filter, taking out the MAF screen, ram-air type intake... anything that changes the stock flow.

MrCrowley
10/05/2004, 11:23 AM
Ive had the screen and elbow in the fender removed for years now on the Trooper and VX, but I do remember the difference it made. Never had a CE light. I bet the supercharged ones may see a drastic difference in flow with less restriction!

Green Dragon
10/05/2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Lawrence Wussow
Dragon Bob,
Is it necessary to reset the ecu after screen removal? Just took it out on my lunchbreak & THEN it occoured to me, maybe I should have asked someone first. Oh well, I'll see if I get a ck. eng. light on the way back to work.

Thanks, Ldub

I would not reset ECU unless check engine light occurs. The ECU should make the necessary adjustments for correct mixture.

Bob F