PDA

View Full Version : Loose steering wheel - Need help.

jtirado
02/06/2016, 05:47 PM
Since I've own the Vehicross, there's been a degree of play with the steering wheel. Can someone please tell me what controls the firmness of the wheel? I was driving on the expressway the other day and it felt like the wheel was so loose, it'd just pop off.

Thank you

dietz99vcross
02/06/2016, 08:05 PM
Not sure if you are talking about slop in the wheel when it is turning left to right, or if it is "loose" if you were to pull on it directly towards you. If it is the later, there is a large nut directly behind the airbag that is threaded onto a bolt, I guess if someone had replaced the steering wheel they may not have tightened this bolt completely, or maybe the entire column is loose. The airbag can be removed fairly easily to check the bolt. Make sure to disconnect the battery to stop potential airbag deployment and then just a few torx bolts to remove to release the airbag from the steering wheel.

Y33TREKker
02/07/2016, 06:17 AM
There is an adjustment on the steering box that might help with that. You will need an open end wrench (~15mm?) and a large bladed screwdriver. The nut/screw combo is located near the bottom of the radiator shroud on the driver's side. Loosen the nut while holding the screw. Tighten the screw while holding the nut. Retighten the nut against the steering box.

VXorado
02/07/2016, 06:56 AM
The factory spec is .3-1.1" of lateral "play" in the steering wheel. Trekker is right, just tighten the steering box. This is something I've done countless times over the years and it helps a bit.

It's a 17mm nut, I use a ratcheting style which makes it easier. Don't make it too tight or your steering won't return to center correctly.

Mile High VX
02/07/2016, 07:56 AM
Adjust about 1/8 of a turn and see how it drives...if you need more repeat...as said above too much is a bad thing and just a little goes a long way.

YellowVX
02/07/2016, 08:12 AM
I'm having the same issue...I'll have to try this.

Buffy
02/07/2016, 08:23 AM
I would also check for play in the tie rods. If they are worn it could cause some slop in your steering.

jtirado
02/08/2016, 04:10 PM
Thank you all....appreciate the feedback, will work on her this coming weekend. It'll be a relief to feel more stability (firmness) at the wheel.

You guys rock!

ZeroSix
04/01/2018, 10:06 PM
Can someone please send a picture on the location of this nut please. I have issues on both VXs ... i want to make sure this is not the issue. No one wants to align the truck saying there is too much play. Thank you

Thelgord
04/02/2018, 02:34 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jquihbawge3241/Photo%20Apr%2002%2C%205%2025%2047%20PM.jpg?raw=1

It is located, driver side, next to the engine fan shroud, just about in front of the power steering pump.

You have to “unlock” the nut. Just loosen it until it about 2/3 the way up the shaft.

Once that is done (which really is the hard part, it is a real PITA), use a screw driver to turn the shaft clockwise. GO VERY SLOWLY. Once it moves you will get a “feel” for the tension, or how much effort it takes to turn it. Once you encounter MORE resistance, stop immediately. Back it off 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut.

All done.

Hope this helps.