PDA

View Full Version : Another couple of roof rack questions

Jim98122x
12/11/2003, 10:55 PM
Another new member here, sorry to rehash something that's been done to death already....Can someone please humor me and answer these questions...? I've been reading all the options that everyone has posted regarding roof rack for the VX, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options.

1. besides that it's expensive-- is there any reason I would NOT want the Yakima OEM set of bars that connect to the rack?

2. do they require locks, or once installed, are they theftproof?

3. I have a Thule ski carrier that connected to the Thule OEM roof rack of the Saab I sold to buy my Vehicross. Will that Thule ski carrier work on the Yakima OEM rack? The Thule bars were square, are the Yakima bars square or round? Am I going to have to buy a new ski rack?

4. lastly-- (worth a shot) -- does anyone have a set for sale?

thanks

Jim
Seattle
new owner-- Dec. 1st

EclipseGSX
12/12/2003, 05:53 AM
jim, i just went through the whole process:

1. besides that it's expensive-- is there any reason I would NOT want the Yakima OEM set of bars that connect to the rack?
you pretty much don't have a choice, must go with OEM bars. Some people say the OEM bars are too short. You can possibly pick up the longer length wing bars but they are old and have been discontinued by Yakima.

2. do they require locks, or once installed, are they theftproof?
mmm, i'm not sure if a lock mechanism is even available. the OEM mounts are so specific i don't think there's another application, unless its the owner of anothe vehicross ;)

3. I have a Thule ski carrier that connected to the Thule OEM roof rack of the Saab I sold to buy my Vehicross. Will that Thule ski carrier work on the Yakima OEM rack? The Thule bars were square, are the Yakima bars square or round? Am I going to have to buy a new ski rack?
My friend owns the thule ski rack and the screw mounts vertically though the assembly, the Yakima ski racks mounts by sticking a screw through the side of the assembly. You are limited by the Yakima Mighty Mounts. The horizontal mighty mounts could work.

4. lastly-- (worth a shot) -- does anyone have a set for sale?
you can purchase for $300ish at isuzuparts.net, thats what i did

Daver
12/12/2003, 07:55 AM
If you want longer Wing bars, try here:
http://store.yahoo.com/rack-warehouse/y0309c.html

I got a set from them last year. Looks like they still have some. You'll still need the custom Isuzu towers to attach the longer bars to the VX roof.

These longer bars *with* towers are cheaper than just the short bars from Isuzu. Even if you don't want the longer bars you might save some $$$ buying these and shortening them with a hacksaw. I did that with my first set of 58" bars when I couldn't find 48" anywhere.

-Daver

drdavidr4u
12/12/2003, 08:45 AM
I'm also looking to get a roof rack for my VX just to tie down and transport things I buy that are too big for the interior space.

If I understand correctly, I buy the basic manuf izuzu rack from izuzu?

I went on isuzuparts.net and they seemed to list only rack additions?

And that nice wind deflector in the front of the rack, is that seperate from the basic izuzu rack?

Thanks.
Dave

AnalogVX
12/12/2003, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't even mess with Isuzuparts.net
Call St. Charles Isuzu and talk with Merlin. My rack came with my VX but I have purchased a few sets of mighty mounts from STC Isuzu and he has been very helpful with my purchases and knows about this website. The roof rack parts and numbers can be found in the downloads section of the website. here is the link. http://www.vehicross.info/downloads/vx_roof_rack.pdf

And David...the wind deflector is seperate.

drdavidr4u
12/12/2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks Rich for all the help!!
BTW, do you have the # for Saint Charles isuzu? I cannot find it in the yellowpages on line,
thanks again,
Dave

Jim98122x
12/12/2003, 11:39 AM
I just went the easy way and ordered the OEM Yakima bars from St. Charles Isuzu. I don't want longer bars and I dont want it hanging out wider than the rails anyway.

Their number and link is under the "Accessories" section on the site here.

The MSRP was (I think) $330 or so and they give a 15% discount, so it's $288 including free shipping.

Yeah, it's probably more expensive than I could have done it for, but hey, what the hell-- I just spent $18,000 for a Vehicross, what's another $100 difference?

drdavidr4u
12/12/2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys...I just ordered a set of yakima from Merlin at SCI!
And a Bra
And a rear cargo mat.

Merlin cast a spell on me with OEM partS AND lightened my wallet!!!

But one last question...I like the looks of the front areo wing thing I see in the front of roof racks...Anyone know what size it should be

is it the "Yakima Fairing for Car Roof Racks" in 32" or 38" or 44"??

Thanks again!!
Dave "MARS ATV"

AnalogVX
12/12/2003, 03:31 PM
This one looks really sharp in this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2464&highlight=fairing

I have the one that came with the Thule Playpen cargo basket. It's not half as nice as that one.