PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Loose?

ipd
01/29/2016, 08:18 PM
I've noticed something about my VX that I can't quite put my finger on. When I'm at a stop, and I let off the brake, it feels like there's slack in the drivetrain. Like the vehicle will move forward slightly, then the slack is gone & it drives normally. Is this uncommon? Is this a sign of something bad?

VXorado
01/30/2016, 07:11 AM
There are two nuts on the center cross-member that attach to a rubber isolator on the transmission. These nuts are commonly loose or missing and would be a good starting place.

Also, are you lifted/oversized tires? Sometimes the rear axle can cause a feeling of slight slack after hard braking, which is more likely after lifting or just having worn components. I've experienced this on & off over the years but it's slight (feels like a "thud") and you can tell it's the rear axle. Recent axle suspension upgrades have eliminated the issue for me.

ipd
01/30/2016, 10:43 AM
Mine's not lifted. I have 265/60r18's, so a bit larger than stock, but nothing cosmic. Yes, it does feel like its from the rear though, I think. I'll also check out the transmission next time I have it in the shop.

johnnyapollo
01/31/2016, 06:44 AM
This was a problem discovered with mine - the two bolts and the little heat shied that goes under one side were missing - seems they back themselves out.

-- John