PDA

View Full Version : Egr mystery solved!!!

mattferguson14
01/27/2016, 10:10 AM
I have finally officially solved my recurring EGR issues!!!!!!! I cleaned out the EGR intake tube, replaced the EGR, replaced vacuum lines, and ran sea foam through the intake and gas tank. The code cleared for a week (long enough to pass smog) and came right back. I bought another new EGR but when I went to replace it, I realized that the threads where the EGR mounts to the intake had become stripped out and the bolts would not fasten tightly enough. I drilled and tapped them and had to bore out the EGR mounting flanges and EGR gasket a bit to accommodate the new, larger bolts. I am happy to say that the CEL has been out for 2 whole weeks! Hoping it never comes back..

WormGod
01/28/2016, 07:17 AM
I have a similar issue, though mine related more to those with the supercharger. The EGR mounts to an aluminum block included with the S/C, as well as the EGR line itself. Over time, my EGR line likes to "back out" of it's threading. A few times a year, I have to pop the hood and re-tighten. Certainly not something I want to put thread lock on since it is a !@#$% to get to by hand. *shrug* Just one of them things....

mattferguson14
01/28/2016, 12:31 PM
I have a similar issue, though mine related more to those with the supercharger. The EGR mounts to an aluminum block included with the S/C, as well as the EGR line itself. Over time, my EGR line likes to "back out" of it's threading. A few times a year, I have to pop the hood and re-tighten. Certainly not something I want to put thread lock on since it is a !@#$% to get to by hand. *shrug* Just one of them things....

You could always use some low strength thread locker, like Loctite 222. You should be able to bust it loose fairly easily with a wrench.

WormGod
01/29/2016, 07:11 AM

You could always use some low strength thread locker, like Loctite 222. You should be able to bust it loose fairly easily with a wrench.

The problem with any threadlock is, again, getting the leverage and space to even crank in the first place. Anyone with the S/C will tell you, that spot is a PITA, heh. You get about 1degree of crank. It really blows. IIRC, its the fuel rails that put a constraint on the space. Ah well, is what it is.