PDA

View Full Version : Overheating issues

Lizardmen3477
11/05/2015, 01:27 PM
Car starts an runs fine for 15/20
Mins til warmup time sets in. Fan kicks in high speed like normal. Then stops. An starts to overheat. Sound like a water pump? Or is there a simple temp sensor coulda went bad? Any other ideas or possibliities

darkside
11/05/2015, 03:47 PM
Guessing fan clutch.

Lizardmen3477
11/05/2015, 03:52 PM
Just put a new one on. Like i said works fine on startup an running. Then after 15 mins or so it stops. So fan works just not sure why its stopping

darkside
11/05/2015, 04:05 PM
Belt slipping? I just fixed my o/h issues by changing the water pump, thermostat, and bypass hose under the manifold.

PK
11/05/2015, 05:06 PM
Your new fan clutch is faulty. Hit the seller up for warranty.

Lizardmen3477
11/05/2015, 06:04 PM
Yea really didnt wanna take all that off for a chance that that might not be it. An i have a other clutch ill trybut doubt thats it eithr

darkside
11/05/2015, 06:47 PM
You can try this method in case it is faulty. But this is the extent of my knowledge good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSsKzS2_L0

ipd
11/05/2015, 08:47 PM
Any other symptoms? If the temp gauge fluctuates wildly, then it could be a bad thermostat. Mine's doing that currently (started overheating again). Everything else has been checked, so it's down to the thermostat, a leak in the coolant system (causing air pockets to form), or the water pump. (Can't speak to the bypass hose).

Lizardmen3477
11/06/2015, 04:45 AM
No temp gauge seems to be normal slowly rises to the middle as it should. Then just goes to hott. An i think its cause the fan is stopping. But not sure why. It runs at startup until opersting temp then shuts down. So something is telling it to stop

Lizardmen3477
12/04/2015, 04:40 PM
Changed the fan assembly. Did not fix still stops. Has anyone else experienced this? Any other tips or easy fixes before i send to the shop

Y33TREKker
12/06/2015, 03:53 PM
Do you know for sure that your engine is overheating? Maybe your coolant level is just low and you're getting a faulty gauge reading.

The engine coolant temperature sensor is located near the top, front, center of the engine, either near or part of the same housing that the lower radiator hose connects to.

Since that sensor is at that location, if your coolant was a little low, rather than reading the coolant temperature, that sensor would just be reading hot air if there was an air pocket at that point in your coolant system. This scenario also fits since you say the gauge goes to hot at the point that the engine reaches operating temp (and the thermostat opens).

You could try removing the radiator cap, starting the engine, then just letting it heat up until it gets to normal operating temp to the point that you know the thermostat is opening. Once you know the thermostat is opening, check the coolant level flowing in the radiator. If the level of the coolant in the radiator appears to be physically lower than the point where the coolant temperature sensor is in it's housing, you just need to add more coolant.

You can also take the VX out for a drive around the neighborhood to get the engine to operating temp quicker, then bring it back to your driveway and remove the radiator cap while the engine is still running, but if that's what you decide to do, make sure to use a towel/rag since it's possible that some hot coolant could escape past the radiator cap in the process.

Many times people will add coolant to the "High" mark on the coolant reservoir, but this doesn't necessarily bring the engine coolant to it's proper/required level in the engine/radiator.

--------------

There is also something called a "thermo-unit" in the coolant system (in or near the housing that the upper radiator hose connects to), but I've not been able to find a clear description for what it actually does. It's listed as a possible cause (by being faulty) if experiencing engine overheating, but all it says from what I've seen is that replacement may be required.

Just checking that the coolant level is correct would be the quickest easiest thing to check first anyway.