PDA

View Full Version : 245/70/16s or 255s?

joe-yamma
12/09/2003, 02:48 PM
I am currently looking at BF Goodrich T/A KO's in the stock size of 245/70/16, but I was thinking of bumping up to 255/70/16 just to put a little more rubber down and to fill up the wheel wells a little more for looks. (The 245 is 29.5" and the 255 is 30.1")

The miata website tire size calculator (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) says the 255 will only throw off my speedo by 1.9%, which I think is minimal.

Any suggestions/advice, pros/cons, pics of BFGs in either size or a similar size?

I also liked the Bridgestone Dueler Revo, but I am leaning towards the BFG TA KO's because I've always liked their looks and their grip.

Thanks,
Joe

dutchie
12/09/2003, 06:18 PM
Hi, I don`t recommend 255, I have them and they make my steering too "sensitive". The looks are good, but you have to hold on to your steering otherwise you`ll be all over the road!

Bagheera
12/09/2003, 06:24 PM
OH NO!
Anyone else have that problem with 255's? I am getting that size put on tomorrow & can't turn back now...oh well I guess I can pull them off & resell them ;)

Tone
12/09/2003, 06:56 PM
not - maybe 285s and then only slightly- he has other issues if 10mm of width makes that big a diff

Dallas4u
12/09/2003, 07:15 PM
I have 255/70/16 Yokohama Geolander AT+II's all the way around, and handling feels great. Don't be afraid of the 255's. I wish I would have gone for the 265's... maybe next time.

dutchie
12/09/2003, 07:28 PM
Hi Tone, please tell me what problems I have , I went to the dealer, tire speciality shop and they all told me that my steering is sensitive because of my tires!
They have several times tightend the steering, but to no avail, the car keeps folowing the truck trails in the road!
I also thought it was kinda weird, because so many people have wider tires than that.
My tires are yokohama geolander H/T`s...

AK VX Lvr
12/09/2003, 07:31 PM
I'm running 285/60R 18's on my VX---not a problem!!

joe-yamma
12/09/2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys...
(Dutchie, you're kinda scaring me man !!! ;eekb; )

Bagheera - would you please give me and update tomorrow after you get your tires mounted? I'd like to hear what you think of them! Maybe post a pic or two? :D What brand are you going with?

Dallas4u - thanks for the advice. I thought the 255 would be a good choice as they are slightly larger, but not enough to throw the speedo off too much or hinder performance.
I'm sure the 265 would look great, but I don't want to sacrifice in other areas.
Hey, do you have any pics you can post of your tires?

Joe

Tone
12/09/2003, 08:03 PM
I’d look at air pressure and alignment. When tread wears down on the wider tires this would be an issue but not on new tires. If your road grooves happen to line up with the tread pattern on your tires, it could be an issue with any width tire.

dutchie
12/09/2003, 08:23 PM
joe-yamma, I`m sorry, I didn`t mean to frighten you..;)
It`s just I had so many probs after I switched tires...
Please let me know how it goes with the new tires, I need this input for when I go back to the dealer..

Freon VX
12/09/2003, 09:49 PM
I had the 255 on my Amigo, and NEVER had any problems, other than the agressive tread I ran was really loud.

Tonka
12/09/2003, 11:58 PM
Here is my VX with my old BFG KO's 255/70/16's.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=272&papass=&sort=4

And here are the 265/75/16's Goodyear Wrangler All Season.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1454&papass=&sort=4

The 265's (31.6") are not bad at all. I love them and I will never go smaller. The big difference comes when you go bigger, 285/75/16's (33"), handling, some power, and gas all suffer in the name of a better off-roader. (But it was nice!)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1815&papass=&sort=4

Dallas4u
12/10/2003, 09:02 AM
Was going to upload some pics lastnight, but just forgot... sorry.

I in fact DID notice a bit of handling change between stock and the Yokos. Since the newer tire is taller, the sidewall isn't as stiff as the smaller stock tire, so you get a bit more play.

But...

The Yokos out-perform the stock tires hands down. They feel AWESOME in rain, and handle trails with ease.

VX_PA
12/10/2003, 09:06 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3019

Sorry I didn't have time to take a picture yesterday.

Mike

On Your Left
12/10/2003, 09:19 AM
Guys, this may be a dumb question, but I was always under the impression the width of the tire was reflected in the first threee numbers fo the size, i.e. 265. And the height, from rim to tread, was the next numbers, i.e. 60. If I'm not misunderstanding this, then how can a wider tire, 265 vs 245, affect the speedo? Wouldn't it be the height that changes how the speedo registers because the revolution would be a little longer on a taller tire than the stock, making the speedo show a slower speed than you're actually travelling?

I'm confused by some of these replies. :confused:

JT

joe-yamma
12/10/2003, 09:38 AM
Hey guys, thanks again to all of you for the good info and pics! :D

dutchie - don;t worry about it! I hope you get your problem figured out.

VX_PA, those look good, but I'm goona put the white lettering facing out.

Tonka - thanks for the info and the pics... your VX looks great! So, you didn't really notice a difference between the 255 and the 265? (you got me thinkin now...)
Your VX looks so damn mean with those 33" MTRs!!!
Let me tell you, if I didn't drive my VX 90% on the highway, I would have the MTRs, i honestly think they're the best looking off-road tire out there.

From the pics I think 255 BFGs will are exactly what I want... a better gripping tire that has good street manners and will be able to handle winter and occasional off-roading while improving the looks of the VX.

On Your Left - the first number is the sidewall height, but the second number is the "aspect ratio" or the ratio of the tire height to width.. check it out here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/size.htm

Joe

VX_PA
12/10/2003, 09:48 AM
I mounted my tires with the white lettering facing out at first. After pulling off the lift and parking outside, the mechanic and I stepped back and looked at it. It just didn't look right on the silver, I didn't have any other white anywhere. Yours should be fine with the white letters out since your VX is white. Good luck, and I know that you'll love them.

Mike

joe-yamma
12/10/2003, 10:07 AM
Good point... the all black does look good on the silver.

I am probably going to tint my windows too and I normally am not into window tint, but I saw a pic of a white VX with window tint and I thought it looked great! Also, maybe the tint will protect the leather seat a little bit too.

Joe

VX_PA
12/10/2003, 10:23 AM
Window tint? Great idea. Mine is tinted 15% on the all the windows behind the driver and passenger windows and 35% on the driver and passenger windows. It's still illegal, but the VX is so different from anything else on the road I never get bothered.

Daver
12/10/2003, 11:01 AM
I think yur problem dutchie is that your wheelbase is too short. You should have it lengthened. That should fix it right up. ;)

-Daver

AlaskaVX
12/10/2003, 11:20 AM
dutchie, just wanted to let ya know that with my 31X11.5 Mickey Thompsons I am all over the road even with my hands on the wheel "rut diving" to the extreme. I have had it this way for so long that I am almost starting to like it ;eekr; it keeps you on your toes when driving. But once I put the stock 18"s on there again it's smooth sailing. I'm putting some new 31" studded BFG AT's on this Friday and I will see if it is as bad as my MT's.

Tonka
12/10/2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by On Your Left
Guys, this may be a dumb question, but I was always under the impression the width of the tire was reflected in the first threee numbers fo the size, i.e. 265. And the height, from rim to tread, was the next numbers, i.e. 60. If I'm not misunderstanding this, then how can a wider tire, 265 vs 245, affect the speedo? Wouldn't it be the height that changes how the speedo registers because the revolution would be a little longer on a taller tire than the stock, making the speedo show a slower speed than you're actually travelling?

I'm confused by some of these replies. :confused:

JT

You are right, but with most tires the wider you go the taller the tire becomes. In a 245/75, the sidewall is 75% of the 245(mm?), so with 265/75, 75% of 265mm will make the side wall bigger making the tire taller. I hope i make sense. Sometimes i confuse myself.
alan

AK VX Lvr
12/10/2003, 01:13 PM
You're exactly right Zoid...I can't speak for the rest of these conversations. Since they're all about the same diameter wheel, a 16", the only thing that was not discussed that would matter would be the depth of the tread, which varies slightly...dependant on who makes the tire...