PDA

View Full Version : Hubs Too Hot?

nairbnuapak
10/27/2015, 09:29 PM
I have 1999 VX Astral and was wondering if the front hubs should be really hot to the touch after driving only 20-25 min. on the highway? No recent work or changes on front end either.

Y33TREKker
10/28/2015, 03:46 AM
I have 1999 VX Astral and was wondering if the front hubs should be really hot to the touch after driving only 20-25 min. on the highway? No recent work or changes on front end either.
Is it both hubs? I'd first suspect a brake caliper not releasing, but it would be very coincidental that both would start doing it at the same time. Do you have to use the brakes a lot during the 20-25 mile stretch of road you're referring to? When was the last time you bled your brake lines and installed new fluid?

Another possibility would be that your front wheel bearings need to be repacked, but brakes would be the first system I'd check into.

ipd
10/28/2015, 04:44 PM
Stuck caliper. Could mean that you need to rebuild/repack your calipers. There will always be a tad bit of friction, but nothing that should cause your wheels to get very, very hot like that--especially w/o braking.

nairbnuapak
10/28/2015, 07:38 PM
Got wheels off the ground and made sure brakes weren't dragging didn't seem to be a stuck caliper. It is both sides and I've never packed the bearings in the 3 years I've had it . Is it fairly easy to do'em?

MSHardeman
10/29/2015, 08:26 AM
Repacking the front wheel bearings isn't too hard, but it does take some time. I've done mine twice now and I have followed Kenny's write up both times:

http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/11324-NEW-Front-Bearings-and-Disc-install-(pics)-oh-what-fun?highlight=wheel+bearing+repack

Couple of special tools needed but nothing too far out there.

nairbnuapak
10/29/2015, 10:53 PM
Guess I'll try that next. Thanks.