PDA

View Full Version : The ORW is going to the hospital....

JoFotoz
10/05/2015, 03:56 PM
So the ORW is going to the Hospital for a week or so... :p

Pull 4.77 3rds with Aussie Lockers.....fit 4.77 3rds with ARB's
New Moog balls joints and "A" arm bushings
New seals and bearings front and back axles etc.
New Brake pads..maybe new rotors.

Am I being lazy not doing it myself....you betcha...
....did i save up quarters/spare change for 3 years to pay for my laziness..YUP !!

I'll be in Mexico officiating a good friends wedding..
....the ORW will be here....getting 'tampered' with :o

Seems like a plan :smilewink

Cheers
Jo

ipd
10/05/2015, 06:16 PM
Jo knows as well as anyone that once the mod bug hits, it NEVER stops. :)

P.S.
After watching football this past weekend, it occurred to me that Jo looks a bit like Rob Ryan. *ducks*

rowhard
10/05/2015, 07:09 PM
....the ORW will be here....getting 'tampered' with :o

tamper with, or fondled:naughty:

pm coming your way

nfpgasmask
10/29/2015, 02:56 PM
ARBs are so nice. Where you gonna mount the compressor?

Bart

nfpgasmask
10/29/2015, 02:59 PM

Bart

JoFotoz
10/29/2015, 03:17 PM
In the engine baY...

Bart

Gonna move the Morgantech intake and cone a bit aft towards the firewall...
...and mount compressor in front , up against radiator bulkhead.

This should still leave enough room to fit a snorkel tube with a K&N cone housing.

We shall see !!

Cheers

Jo

nfpgasmask
10/29/2015, 03:34 PM
Cool. Yeah, the ARBs will be like night and day compared to the Aussies. One thing to watch for that happened with mine in the Trooper was a bad siphoning effect from the rear diff that pushed fluid out through the solenoid on the compressor. So watch this after you get the install. You'll know if its happening because you will smell gear oil.

Bart

JoFotoz
10/29/2015, 03:54 PM
Cool..thanks for the heads up Bart :)

I'm looking fwd to TOD again...and easy ( lazy!) locker use..
....instead of 2WD ... or ALL locked up..all the time.

Jo

Etfren
11/07/2015, 11:03 AM
Cool. Yeah, the ARBs will be like night and day compared to the Aussies. One thing to watch for that happened with mine in the Trooper was a bad siphoning effect from the rear diff that pushed fluid out through the solenoid on the compressor. So watch this after you get the install. You'll know if its happening because you will smell gear oil.

Bart

Yeah, I got that going with mine. I can smell it, but so far I haven't seen anything coming out the solenoid. Whats the fix for that?

nfpgasmask
11/07/2015, 11:25 AM
Here's a thread that talks about it: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85984&start=25

You need that air locker purge valve. I actually called ARB USA in Washington and talked to their tech support and they sent me one for free. So far, this has been working. Definitely keep an eye on the fluid level in your diff. Mine sucked like half of it out!

Bart

JoFotoz
11/07/2015, 12:40 PM
Was this issue obvious pretty quickly...
...or something that 'developed' as more oil got suctioned??

Dont see a problem..YET!

nfpgasmask
11/07/2015, 01:59 PM
Yeah, the problem started for me pretty much right away and I noticed it within 2 weeks. The issue is when you drive a lot on the hwy and pressure builds up in the rear diff to the point that some of the diff fluid is pushed back up the line. Once this starts, a siphoning effect happens and the line will literally completely fill with fluid as it sucks it up from the diff. It will drip slowly out of the solenoid at the compressor and "puff" out and spray everything around it with gear oil. I found out because I could smell it. Nothing else really smells like gear oil. Then I noticed a little spray once I looked for it, and the solenoid vent for the rear locker was wet with gear oil. Note that for me, this only happened with the rear in my Trooper, because that is what is spinning all the time. But with the VX and TOD, it could happen with both front and rear.

This is a KNOWN issue with older application style ARB air lockers. You will find loads of threads about this exact problem on just about any 4x4 forum. I think this is why ARB sent me the Purge Valve Kit for free. They didn't come out and say it, but it might as well have been an admission of guilt, and a good gesture on their part.

Bart

JoFotoz
11/07/2015, 03:09 PM
Cool..thanks for the info Bart.

Havent done any highway miles yet...
..just some local construction site "trespassing" !!.. ..
...to make sure all is working fine :)

I'll keep an eye on it...but need to get two sets of thirds OUT of the back of ORW..
..before any hope of smelling 'new' gear oil!!

Cheers

Jo