PDA

View Full Version : VX 3d model update

WormGod
12/09/2003, 08:08 AM
Yes, still working on it when I can. At this point, I have a GOOD chance of getting it into a game that uses the Gamebryo engine with Havoc 2 (heavy physics engine) plugged in. I saw the demo of the game thus far and it looks VERY promising. I work with the guys who are workibg on that project and they are very interested in using the VX model if I complete it. Right now, the model will be very poly intensive, but I will optimize it for use in the game. Things are looking up. Just wish you could see the things that this game can do so far with the engine and the physics. WOW!

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/Misc/vx_12_2.jpg

Dallas4u
12/09/2003, 08:20 AM
Lookin nice! Any idea when the release date for the game will be?

Cyrk
12/09/2003, 08:28 AM
SWEET, what is the game?, the Havoc 2 engine is used in Max Payne 2... no?

Great game.

Good luck and make sure that Black is the preferred color of choice:)

Nice work Gary!

-Dave

Navigator
12/09/2003, 09:19 AM
Happy to hear that GT. I can't wait till the day that game and your VX are released. :luck: BTW. will that run on Game Cube?

Capri
12/09/2003, 09:27 AM
how about releasing it for the PC and XBOX folks? A little xbox live action with downloadable content would kick total ***!!;Db;

WormGod
12/09/2003, 04:52 PM
I cant release any info on the game just yet. What little I know about it, all I can say is that the demo I saw was extremely impressive. The guys already working with it are good guys and know their stuff well. With a GREAT artist like myself (insert ego), I am sure I can make some insane cars for it. There was word that their division was hiring artists. I was considering transfering to that team, which would mean relocating about 100 miles away, but it could be worth it. We'll see.

It is my hope that color choosing is part of the game. Perhaps finally having that orange VX could be possible. ;) Time will tell though. I am NOT guarenteeing that the VX will even be in it, but there is a good chance. Especially if I keep nudging.

No plans have been released about platforms yet. My "GUESS" would be XBox and/or Playstation 2, and "almost definately" PC. I will keep you all updated with info that I can share. In the meantime, I will just worry about the model itself.

For more Havok 2 info, check out Havoc 2 (http://www.havok.com/) .

AlaskaVX
12/09/2003, 05:24 PM
Wormgod, what programs do you use when creating a video game model? I'm extremely bored with what I do on AutoCAD and am looking for something else to persue for a career. What school/schools did you go to to get were you are at now?

MZ-N10
12/09/2003, 08:51 PM
wow...if hl2 is based off the havoc 2 engine...i have nothign to say but...(excuse my languge) ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ********************************. by the way....wat kind of game is it....racing?
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

WyrreJ
12/09/2003, 08:55 PM
For paint your should get with Rickster and use his new flaming kameleon design. Can that physics engine handle kameleon paint?

WormGod
12/10/2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Wormgod, what programs do you use when creating a video game model? I'm extremely bored with what I do on AutoCAD and am looking for something else to persue for a career. What school/schools did you go to to get were you are at now?

I solely use 3d studio Max 5. Been using 3d studio for about 9 years now. I went to an animation school for classic animation and then UMD for 3d graphics and animation. I ended up dropping school to work where I am now. There really is no degree for already having talent, so if you think you have talent, dont waste your time in school. I learned most 3d packages on my own by just jumping in headfirst and playing around. I always was a believer in that being the best technique.

As for Havok 2 handling cool texture routines, no need. That would be the graphics engine, which in this case, would be Gamebryo, which utilizes pixel shading techniques used on nVidia and ATI cards. You can get some pretty insane effects using pixel shading. I dont know if you ever saw the game I just worked on, Morrowind, but the water rendering system in it is based on pixel shading and there is no water in any game that looks more real than that. And it just keeps getting better.

WormGod
12/22/2003, 08:15 AM
Worked on the mesh till 5am last night. Started working on detail and smoothing edges. Before bailing, I rendered out a a quick specularty test to see where the "dents" were in the mesh. It's definately starting to get there.

VX Animation (http://wormgod.8m.com/Files/VX_render.avi)

Cyrk
12/22/2003, 08:37 AM
SWEET! Keep up the good work...
-Dave

Navigator
12/22/2003, 11:04 AM
...Looks better than the one in Hot Pursuit. Keep up the good work. BTW, Larry Raglands game has some fully rendered VX's in it, just curious how this one will be different? In any case i will buy it for my PC and game Cube if you port to that platform :luck:

SoilDoc
12/22/2003, 11:24 AM
Gary,

You forgot the tires!!! :homer: doh!!

Looks great!

Jed

mrtew
12/23/2003, 05:35 AM
Very cool! Can you post a picture of it in true perspective view, with a nice reflective shader and the wireframe turned off so we can see what it looks like? I can't wait to drive it! Do you know yet if it will be for the xbox? Are there any games for xbox out now that have VX's in them? (I guess I am a little VX crazy here hehe)

WormGod
12/23/2003, 10:19 AM
I would render it out with more realistic color and lighting, but its still fairly unpolished and would look bad. Too many blemishes still. Last night, I did get more done though. Added the cowl area, the roof ribs and rails, the tail wing, embossed the windows, roof trim, and did the black outline around the side/front/rear windows. It's definately coming along. I have 1 more day of work and then my 2 week vacation starts, so I can see myself getting this thing done by then. Once there, I will probably be able to start working more with customising it for users.

No info on game use yet. For the meantime, it could probably be modded to work in many games that you can import cars into.

WormGod
01/02/2004, 01:22 PM
Just about done. Details are goin in now.

http://www.wormgod.8m.com/Images/Misc/vx_1_2.jpg

Cyrk
01/02/2004, 01:24 PM
Too Cool! Great work!
-Dave

WormGod
01/03/2004, 10:00 PM
I guess I can say DONE!

All but the wheels and some simple undercarriage work. I skipped a few things like the rear side markers and gas tank, cause they are just fluff for game use anyways. I am gonna prototype my VX (black with the custom wheels and clear lamps) and see how it comes out with legit lighting and surface renders for paint. I will see if I can slap together a little anim of it actually doing something. Of couse, back to work Monday after a 2 week vacation, so it will probably be slow going again. We'll see.

Here is the latest and greatest so far though, in a small anim....

http://www.wormgod.8m.com/Files/anim_1_04.avi

mrtew
01/04/2004, 06:41 AM
Very Impressive! Can you make a version with more polys for closeup use, movie intros, andn beauty shots. The modelling is so accurate and great that I hate to see the facets! Oh, and is that supposed to be foxfire? Let's see a Proton one with some wheels and some big Nittos! Keep up the good work!

tomdietrying
01/04/2004, 07:51 AM
Very nice work. Your time and effort is most appreciated.

WormGod
01/05/2004, 07:39 AM
You know, I can honestly say, I never did look at the poly count on this model, heh. I just never cared. I will check it out when I get home. I don't see why a higher poly version can't be made, although, it will be tedious work, heh. The only reason there may have been a few facets on this version was because some parts were linked instead of being attached. The linked parts dont take on the smoothed appearance of the parent object unless a Smooth is applied to it. Looks like the tailgate on this version.

And no, I wouldnt say it was a Foxfire. It was just some random red I chose. Red shows body lines with lighting much better than more reflective colors like white and yellow. Black is just a no show color for testing. :)