PDA

View Full Version : Does Your VX Whistle When It's Cold...

Navigator
12/08/2003, 06:26 PM
Mine does, I never thought to post this before, because the noise goes away after it gets warmed up in 5 minutes or so, but has anyone else noticed this?

nyc #1 ironman
12/08/2003, 07:15 PM
i know theres a whistle if you have roof racks and your traveling about 70, but as far as standing still and whistling maybe someone could help out?

WyrreJ
12/08/2003, 07:44 PM
Mine does not, but sure seems to be putting out a lot of water(?) vapor now that the weather has turned cold. Does that mean anything?

kpaske
12/08/2003, 08:32 PM
Did you modify your intake? After I removed my airbox and installed a Calmini cone filter, I noticed a distinct "whistle" that seems more pronounced on really cold days, but goes away once the motor warms up a bit.

Moncha
12/08/2003, 10:01 PM
With a stock intake, mine makes a strong wooshing sound when cold.. Have you looked inside to make sure there are no debris inside the elbows of the box?

VX_PA
12/09/2003, 05:20 AM
Mine whistles, but I think it's caused by my cone filter. It sometimes whistles when I mash the thottle also. I like the sound, I've had people ask what is under the hood when they hear it. I just shrug as if I don't know but it's supposed to do that. One guy swore that it had to be a turbine or rotary motor like airplaines use. I just kept him guessing, it's more fun that way.:D

Dallas4u
12/09/2003, 08:22 AM
Mine whistles with the stock air box and K&N filter... but I have a supercharger, too... so there may be a little more force in there.

Navigator
12/09/2003, 09:13 AM
My intake is stock, with a K&N drop in filter. I found no debris in the box, but will check the elbows first chance I get. Whistle does go away when the VX gets warm, and does not rear it's head unless the temp outside is below freezing... strange ;wtf;

Vibration Zero
12/09/2003, 12:56 PM
I dont know about the cold living in Miami but mine whistles too I think it may have to do with the radio. I remember back in the day if you did'nt ground the radio properly you would hear a whistle sound from the speakers but Im not sure the sound comes from the speakers or not? I agree it does sound cool maybe it has something to do with the rocket car in the commercial!! Some sort of sublimatable message! Make us think we have a Rocket Truck.

Later!!!
VZ

StormTROOPER
12/10/2003, 02:00 AM
I had a RATTLE that had a squeeking or chirping sound that made my VX sound like an old 1950's pick-up:( bummer, I finally figured out that it was ONLY the hood latch hook rubbing against the latch-bar. All it took was a little dab of grease on the hook and latch to silence it.:)

AlaskaVX
12/10/2003, 11:49 AM
Mine whistles but I think that it is the SC that makes my noise.

SPAZZ
12/10/2003, 12:40 PM
My VX whistles at speeds above 65MPH. Let off the gas and whistle stops....hit the gas again and it come backs.

dobie3
12/10/2003, 04:09 PM
It's possible one of your windows is off track. You've probably read the discussion of the windows. Yours may be funcitoning properly, but still be off track. You'll know when you examine the trailing edge of the window, as it will have twisted the rubber track. This will cause whistling.

One possible cause anyway. I just had my VX serviced today for the window problem. They replaced the rubber track. My wife drives it more than I do, so I'll find out when I get home, if the problem is solved.

Raque Thomas
12/10/2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Navigator
Mine does, I never thought to post this before, because the noise goes away after it gets warmed up in 5 minutes or so, but has anyone else noticed this?

Mine only whistles in the shower- however, I have noticed a distinct humming when it is getting a bath! :laughp:

Heraclid
12/11/2003, 04:08 PM
Mine normally whistles during acceleration, which I am pretty certain is the intake (and it definitely comes from that area). I'm running stock, with no aftermarket air filter, supercharger or anything like that. It also has nothing to do with outside temperature. I've heard the same thing while driving my mom's 3000GT, and it does sound a little bit like a jet engine warming up. I like it and assume it's totally normal. My roof rack used to whistle some but now if it did I wouldn't hear it over the tire whine, let alone the PV2. :-)