PDA

View Full Version : What in the hell was the designer thinking?

ipd
09/11/2015, 04:02 PM
Ok, I admit I'm still new to the platform. That said, I honestly don't get the interior layout. There's a blank space on the dash next to the cruise, alarm light & hazard button. There's also the "fuzzy hole" on the other side of the steering wheel. Now maybe I'm completely off my rocker here, but wouldn't it have made more sense to put the mirror heater button on the right side of the steering wheel (in that blank), and then moved the power-mirror adjuster to the fuzzy hole?

If they'd done that, the center console would have had room for 2 cupholders--you know, like most NORMAL cars? I mean, this doesn't seem that hard to make happen at the factory. Heck, they could have just moved the buttons & left the console as is with blanks in it--that would still have been a better starting point.

On a related note, I don't have a CD changer anymore (god, those were the rage weren't they? and the fad died off like on-star will). I haven't measured the installation angle yet, but I'm hoping that I can swap out the cubbyhole there with a single-din cupholder. I have one from a taurus that I wasn't able to use on my GTO (because of the mount angle of the DIN), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This is what I'm talking about:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8352/8314580180_42126b553b_z.jpg

p.s.
In some ways, I wish they'd put a captain's chair in the driver's seat; built-in armrest. That would have left more room on the center console--probably helping to eliminate the cracking that a lot of VX's seem to have on it.

kach22i
09/11/2015, 05:06 PM
If you can get it in gear without spilling coffee on your leg, count your blessings.:winkgray:

No cup holders in my 1977 P-car, plus I pulled the radio, pulled the heating system, pulled the sound insulation, pulled the rubber trim, pulled just about anything which doesn't make it go, and go faster. I'm in the church of "light weight" now, it's a conversion thing.

Triathlete
09/12/2015, 08:45 PM
Everyone knows the fuzzy hole is where you put your hot wheels VX...