PDA

View Full Version : How many amps needed for a Jumpstarter

Medman
12/06/2003, 04:21 PM
Hey there gang,

Now that the NE has been pimpslapped by Old Man Winter yet again this year, I realize that I want the ability to jumpstart my VX in the rare event that the battery goes. I've seen several on the market, but was not sure how many amps I would need to jumpstart the battery in the freezing cold-300 amps, 600, 1000?

Automotive gurus-any thoughts?

Hotsauce
12/06/2003, 08:14 PM
I've never had even the smaller of the portable jumpstart batteries fail to start a car that only had a dead battery.

If your battery is original though that money might be better spent on an Optima, or similar replacement.

Batteries, belts, and hoses are always better to replace before they completly fail.

John C.

VehiX
12/07/2003, 09:11 AM
I believe you need 900. I could be wrong though :)

jim.LR>AR
12/07/2003, 01:58 PM
I replaced me stock with energizer 1000cold cranking amps . Got it at pepboys . Took the old one in told them I wanted the highest cca in the same size. It might be alittle taller but fits great. cheaper than the the optimas with only 900 cca

deermagnet
12/10/2003, 05:11 PM
This is from my owners manual concerning the stock battery.
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/mag/imag/batt.jpg

BTW, my stock battery was a Panasonic and performed flawlessly from my VX manufacture date of 7/99 to 10/03. It still worked great, but I replaced it to be on the safe side going into this winter.

Mark