PDA

View Full Version : Just got PV'd

DeafVX
12/06/2003, 05:55 AM
Hey All,

I just got PV'ed after hearing the last of them are being sold. I wanted to say thanks Tone! I love the growl it makes. When the guy pulled it out of the show he had a huge smile on his face and told me that this thing now purs nicely. He wanted to know what it was and where I got one. So I told him. I do love the little increase in power it gives and can't wait to drive it even more now.

I want to do 2 more things. One if anyone can tell me where to get mirror lisence plates. I want either a superman emblem or a thunder cat emblem (grew up watching them and our truck resembles the Thunder Tank a lil) but no one makes them by me.
Also Joe_Black: How about we arange a central Florida Popper party where a group of us can get together and install them. I am not very mechanically inclined so I would love the help and the chance to see more of these beautiful cars together in one place.
Let me know and Thanks!

Greg;Dr;

-x-
12/06/2003, 07:37 AM
Got my PV on thursday (Thanx Tone) and installed friday and YEAH BUDDY!!! :D It growls like the beast it is (and resembles ;eekb; ) Personally I wouldnt mind it being a bit louder but it's all tha same...

....and DEAF we're havin a "party" this sat (12/13) comming up @ Joes, see if you can swing by. I'd be more than happy to help ya out, not to mention the countless input im certain you'd recieve from others....x :D

Joe_Black
12/06/2003, 09:33 AM
Oh man, now think about this: If Heraclid gets his PV on by next week that means just about everyone will have a PV!

GRRRRR GRRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRR!!!

Oh, and Greg, there'll be plenty of popper-experienced there too!

Heraclid
12/06/2003, 09:59 AM
You guys don't know how hard you're making this. I am so tempted to run out right now and have it done - I have the cash, but it's supposed to buy gifts.

-x-
12/06/2003, 02:20 PM
dude $20, you can find a mom and pop shop to hook it up....x :D

Heraclid
12/06/2003, 04:02 PM
How is yours mounted? Did you use the stock location and keep the stock tip?

Lowest I think anyone got it done for was about $30, and cheaper isn't always better. I'm figuring $50 or so if I simply have it put in the stock location and don't do anything else. Got a lot on my plate right now, let alone holiday shopping, so we'll see.

It will be interesting to see how everyone has theirs mounted and if there is much variance in tone from one to another in like installations.

Dallas4u
12/06/2003, 07:18 PM
$30 - $50 sounds right. I had mine done for about $45, and it goes right in the stock location, using the stock hanger.

Heraclid
12/06/2003, 07:40 PM
I've done some reading in the old threads and it seems like in order to avoid it being too loud, you can mount it a bit further forward than stock, just have pipe added aft of the muffler, and reduce pipe diameter to 2.5" behind out to the tip as well. Not sure if I'll try that or not.

-x-
12/07/2003, 07:09 AM
It was mounted right where tha stock muffler was, more or less right in the middle of that now void space. And that stock muffler is heavy lol.

Admittedly i probly got it for $20 cause the i go to the same shop for ALL my cars and take all my friends there, but even if he would've charged $50 i would've of still took it there. I can honestly say i love that guys "craftsmanship" when it come to that. He always does a GREAT job...x

Joe_Black
12/07/2003, 06:38 PM
If you reduce the pipe diameter you'll have less power than what you've got with the stock muffler.:(

Heraclid
12/07/2003, 07:39 PM
Hey Joe, don't worry, not going to do it. You and others seem happy enough with your setups that I have decided to go that route when I have it done. I had read suggestions about doing it other ways but also decided it should be more free-flowing because that is the point of it. I think I know what I'll get in terms of sound outside the VX and that's what I'm after so why mess with the formula. Noise inside the VX is what I'm more concerned with, but if I don't like it I'll just have to tinker with it later, Dynamat it out, whatever. Hopefully I'll love it - if not, I'll keep the PV2, fix the interior noise, keep the performance gain, keep the outside growl. On the whole, most with them are not complaining about theirs, and some, like Alex, have said they wouldn't even mind it being louder, so I'm not feeling too apprehensive at this point. REALLY looking forward to getting it on there, actually. :-)

Joe_Black
12/07/2003, 07:46 PM
YAY! There are some notes the PV makes that you just absolutely love, and sometimes (just occasionally) some that make you cringe. But overall it's a 95% "thumbs-up"!

I'm undecided what mod I'll tinker with at the meet as I still have Tone's hitch to install. If I don't do that probably the rear interior may come out for some Dynamat assessment. ;eekg;

Heraclid
12/07/2003, 08:13 PM
Is John coming for this one? I thought he was going to one of these meets, and since he's been there and done that with the hitch...

Gonna maybe take 'er apart, eh? Now that does kinda make me cringe, but I'll help however I can.

johnnyapollo
12/07/2003, 08:25 PM
Hey Guys,

Don't think I'm gonna make it next week, even though I took off next Friday. Be there for January for sure. I've had the flu for the past week and I'm trying to get past it. It's really put me behind schedule on a bunch of stuff. I almost never get sick, so when I do it's usually pretty bad. If you can wait on the hitch install I'd be happy to help in January.

Luckily I finished painting the interior of the house before Turkey day. Got all the fixtures, knobs, door hardware, outlets and switches changed out as well. I got Tone's seat extenders on last weekened, just before I became feverish. Being sick has put me way behind on the exterior though. It looks like I'm gonna need next weekend to try to get caught up.

-- Best, John

Heraclid
12/07/2003, 08:31 PM
Oh yeah - I definitely want a set of those seat extenders before long, too!

Hey, I hope you get well real quick and we'll miss ya but will look forward to seeing you the next time around.

Joe_Black
12/08/2003, 05:14 AM
Oh man, sorry to hear that John! Hope you recover soon and aren't too overwhelmed at work. I figure you slack so much around there you need a bit of a rush anyway! ;pg;

Don't push yourself on the house, that kind of stuff can always wait. :naughty: Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out, you got a neat place!

Heraclid
12/08/2003, 04:41 PM
Well, as of this afternoon, my VX is definitely not in stealth mode. :-)

The PV2 went in today. Install looks nice, no concerns there - mounted in stock configuration with added pipe fore and aft. Didn't change tips or anything, so it looks totally stock. It sounded great when they started it up in the shop and revved it up - it put a big grin on my face. :-)

It is loud, but not bothering me too much in the interior thus far. Right now, I'd consider Dynamat but I'm certainly not in a hurry for it, either. Yes, it's loud, but it's not bothering me much at all (whew!). It will take some getting used to of course, and the VX definitely announces itself when you turn the key!

I must say I'm not noticing a big difference in performance, but maybe a little. I spent some time in rush hour traffic this afternoon and didn't really get to put 'er through the paces good yet. I do notice that under harder acceleration, it seems smoother and like it is pulling a tad better and not jerking so much, even though it is a subtle difference. Can't wait to get out and play some more!

Joe_Black
12/08/2003, 05:23 PM
YAY!

Tone
12/08/2003, 05:57 PM
Reset the computer to take faster advantage of the mufflers power increase. Also, the sound will mellow somewhat over the first few weeks or so.

-x-
12/08/2003, 06:03 PM
Any way to reset w/out removing the ground from the battery?

Jay Dunford
12/08/2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by -x-
Any way to reset w/out removing the ground from the battery?

Pop the cover directly below the CD changer. Then unplug the three plugs from the main CPU for a few minutes. Plug in and go.

Hiss
12/09/2003, 07:36 PM
;Db; Had my PV2 installed yesterday..... It sounds great!!! I have put 200 plus miles on it already and the sound just keeps getting better, I Luv the sound. THANKS TONE!;eekg;