PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box Replaced

bartmanS4
06/01/2015, 09:52 PM
Well, after wheeling in Moab with no power steering to the left (the right worked ok) I finally replaced the steering gear box. I still have a parts Trooper so I just pulled the part from it. That is officially a PITA job in case you were wondering :mado:

I have a standard pitman arm puller but was unable to get the joint to separate at the track rod. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and rent/borrowed their assorted puller kit and used the puller marked SML and that one worked great!
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3492/large/9150006_pbi_648626_pri_larg.jpg
Lower left

Unbolting the gear linkage, two fluid lines, and the box itself didn't prove too difficult. Getting enough room to drop the gear box out was more challenging. I ended up removing the radiator shroud, removing the airbox, disconnecting the transmission connectors etc to pull them out of the way, and unbolting the two tabs that hold the steering fluid cooler line so I could get it out of the way enough to maneuver the gear box out through the bottom. Once I had the method established installing the replacement was not too difficult.

Got everything back together though and the steering feels great! Now I need to track down the rattling noise in the front end when going over bumps. Grrrr :madb:

mattferguson14
06/02/2015, 08:54 AM
Rattling noise could = loose exhaust manifold heat shields?? worth checking

djvx
06/02/2015, 08:40 PM
Good to hear it worked out.

Hades
06/03/2015, 01:54 AM
Noise in front end going over bumps... Good luck