PDA

View Full Version : VX Oil Consumption

cr0sh
05/24/2015, 04:34 PM
First off, I'm pretty sure mine has it. A couple of weeks back I checked my dipstick after filling the gas tank - nothing on it. So I dropped a couple of quarts in, waited - checked "full".

Drove it to work the next day, then checked the stick before I left work for home, still "full".

A week later, after filling my tank again - checked it - and it was down below the full line by "1/3" the distance between "add" and "full".

My question is - so I can track my oil consumption - what amount of oil does that space between "add" and "full" represent - if anything? Or - should I just add oil (to the "full" mark) when I notice it below the "full" mark when cool?

One thing I plan on doing, after reading about ahdoman doing it to his Pearl (lucky guy!) was putting cross-hatching on the dipstick to see the level better. Well - when I get her back from the shop (again - she's back in to figure out why an EGR code is being thrown - even after a new EGR valve and the tube cleaned - plus I am getting my new window seals installed - though for the month I had her, my mechanic's hacked seals worked perfectly!).

ahdoman
05/24/2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the PM Cr0sh. Just remember, you really should be checking your oil when the car has sat for a while. You need to give it time to settle back into the sump because the manufacturers always tell you to check the oil when the engine is cold for that very reason. Just check it before you start it in the morning. Also, try to make sure you're on level ground. Too much oil can be as bad as too little.

bartmanS4
05/24/2015, 10:39 PM
The difference between the add and the full marks should represent ~ 1 quart

tom4bren
05/26/2015, 05:24 AM
Remember that Isuzu considered it 'acceptable' for this engine to consume 1 qt every 1000 miles. So if you have to add a quart for every 3 tanks of fuel, it's not excessive. I don't agree however & was able to cut the oil consumption in half by replacing the PCV valve with an oil catch can and adding a vent to my oil cap.

Ditto on checking the oil when the engine is cold. That's how I've always done it (either in the morning before I leave for work or in the evening before I start my commute home). It's by far the most accurate means of a good reading.

djvx
05/28/2015, 09:05 PM
mine only consumes 3/4 qt every 2000 miles or so. I use 10w 30. Napa store brand or any hi mileage conventional. I never used full synthetic but at some point I may have used blended synthetic. I do see a faint puff of smoke when I start it once and awhile but never excessive smoke. 93k.

Cable Bob
05/30/2015, 08:52 PM
I switched to Rotella T, Shell Engine Oil, 15w-40 and it slowed the oil consumption for me. A noticeable difference.

Y33TREKker
05/31/2015, 08:46 AM
I would second that installing a different option than the PCV valve might reduce oil consumption. I gutted a stock PCV valve, epoxied the case back together, put it back in the valve cover, then ran a hose to a simple breather filter.

http://www.sfxperformance.com/lgimage/SPT3998.jpg

I've not even seen any oil accumulation on the exterior folds of the filter material since installation, so in my opinion this option simply allows for an equalization of any excess vacuum in the intake manifold that might be drawing oil vapor through the stock PCV system leading to oil usage.

There are obviously different schools of thought on this one though, so consider this input just an FYI.

tom4bren
06/01/2015, 05:34 AM
... I've not even seen any oil accumulation on the exterior folds of the filter material since installation ...

You will ... eventually. The one that I installed in my oil cap finally started to discolor & now that side of the engine is getting a bit of a coating on it. The filters are cheap though so it's still a very good option. Just go with the white one & replace it as soon as it discolors.