PDA

View Full Version : What mods do U want made?

AlaskaVX
12/04/2003, 04:25 PM
Joe Namecheck and his Nascar were at my grocery store last night and I was talking with Richard Conley (Show car rep.) about fabbing up parts for the VX! He gave me his card so I could get a hold of his boss to see what he could do for us (He's got a lot of connections with car shops). I haven't talked to him yet, since I was wondering what mods everyone would be interested in getting made. I was asking about a CF hood insert with reverse scoop and he told me to call his boss and he most likeley will hook us up with a company. I'm mainly looking for a shop to make us our CF parts (mirrors, half moon, etc.)

His boss (don't know his name) works in Selma, North Carolina. They work for a company called Team One Promotions. Does anyone that live around there wanna check this out for me? I can call them but its long distance and I have a feeling it will be a long phone call. Also it might be more effective if he saw the VX in person.

omegavx
12/04/2003, 04:29 PM
I have two shops I just started talking to yesturday about CF (mirror, half-moon and hood insert). So far I havn't gotten any details, but I'm looking to do the hood insert first then the other items later. I'm supposed to talk with both shops again tomorrow, but if you find a good place that will do it then I'm all for it. I couldn't find any shops near me that did it either, one is in CA and the other is in VA.

Hotsauce
12/04/2003, 04:49 PM
I would like to see door panel inserts made in CF, or KCF. The factory fake CF is really cheap looking

John C.

nyc #1 ironman
12/04/2003, 08:33 PM
CF hood insert w/ reverse scoop... I'm sure thats what most replies will be...

SoilDoc
12/04/2003, 09:06 PM
I always wanted to chop off the top and make a convertable--like the VX-02.

I_Wanna_Retire
12/05/2003, 04:41 AM
Hood insert with reverse scoop, and maybe a real workable air intake. Also, I am in Wake Forest, NC and could help with the Selma shop if needed.

ron
12/05/2003, 09:29 AM
I made the attempt to have a local shop give me an estimate for just a carbon fiber version of the insert made. First of all, they would have to ship it overseas to have it made.

And second, they required a minimum of 50+ prepaid orders to even get started to make a negative mold. Also, their cost was ranging from $350-$375 a piece. I backed out knowing that the commitment ot 50+ orders is far fetched along with the price of each part.

I believe for any fabricating shop to produce any carbon fiber parts, they may require a certain number of prepaid orders to be made just to cover the costs of fabricating teh negative mold. However, i could be wrong. Good luck in finding a shop that will make the parts without a minimum required.

For right now, I've put the project on the back burner. However, I do plan to make one for myself with a reverse scoop since I have a spare insert at hand already. With a bit of fiberglassing experience and the research I've read, I feel confident enough to try to fabricate a carbon-fiber version.

I'll post results after I start and finish the project. But, of course that won't happen til I get my other priority orders finished and sent out along with the release of the newest accessories as well. ;)

Joe_Black
12/05/2003, 09:37 AM
I've been a similar route that Ron has mentioned and have also "back-burnered" my CF plans until my house is finished. After that, I may look into setting up my shop to do some CF fabbing myself. No promises, but it'll be about a year before I can try. In the meantime, if someone comes up with a vendor that isn't going to bend you over for some major $$$ (like the ones I contacted) then I'll jump on board if the quality is there.

Dallas4u
12/05/2003, 09:47 AM
I'm curious... I assume that CF molds take a bit more labor per order compared to plastic, correct? I did a VERY small amount of research on CF, and just wrapping something in a CF sheet takes a few stages of work. I'm sure, if someone already has a CF process down, it may be easier by just creating the mold, and then molding it in CF. But... I can see why any small amount of custom work that any shop would think about doing would be expensive.

That being said, if money was no option, a carbon fiber grill, hood insert, mirror covers, and half-moon would give me BIG TIME WOOD! (*sorry*)

Rickster
12/05/2003, 10:05 AM
Check this out:

http://compositeshop.com/Contact/Carbon_Fiber_Manufacturing_FAQ/carbon_fiber_manufacturing_faq.html

Rickster

ron
12/05/2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
I'm curious... I assume that CF molds take a bit more labor per order compared to plastic, correct? I did a VERY small amount of research on CF, and just wrapping something in a CF sheet takes a few stages of work. I'm sure, if someone already has a CF process down, it may be easier by just creating the mold, and then molding it in CF. But... I can see why any small amount of custom work that any shop would think about doing would be expensive.

Correct. The task for producing and resinlaminated part is labor intensive time consuming not to mention the costs for carbon-fiber cloth is pricey. Check out this site which shows a bit of the process invloved in layering carbon fiber cloth onto a mold and producing a part as a result.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/54702/

It does not mention the in between tasks of sanding and filling bubble holes as well as the curing times for each stage. For small parts, like the rear door camera cover would be easy to produce in this process. But the quality probably won't be as good as a vacuum-bagged or pre-pregged made part. And of course, the bigger the parts, the more time and more awkward would a part be and thus more hands are required during the processes.

AlaskaVX
12/05/2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by I_Wanna_Retire
Hood insert with reverse scoop, and maybe a real workable air intake. Also, I am in Wake Forest, NC and could help with the Selma shop if needed.
Right on! I'm interested in the intake also! I think that these are probobally the only items that we could get enough pre-orders together to have them (some company they work with) fab up. I will PM you with the address and phone #. Maybe a ram air intake?

Dallas4u
12/05/2003, 12:55 PM
Guys, the intake is a cool idea, but you'd probably have to come up with a good design first. Then, assume the place who will make it in CF will make a custom mold for it from scratch from the design. The hood insert with scoop would be easier as they can model it off of the original hood insert, but a totally new, custom intake may be pretty expensive.

AREA 51
12/05/2003, 01:26 PM
Why not just make an insert with scoop using glas, just like the original insert ?

Apostle
12/05/2003, 04:05 PM
From that link:

The discovery of carbon fiber dates back to the late 1800s when Thomas Edison was testing thousands of different materials to use as a filament in the lightbulb. Edison repeatedly superheated a piece of plain cotton thread to produce a pure carbon fiber and then presumably fashioned the tailgate of his horsedrawn wagon in carbon fiber and epoxy to impress the ladies at the town pump.

Eddi was pimpin in a buggy. :D

ron
12/05/2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by AREA 51
Why not just make an insert with scoop using glas, just like the original insert ?

My first attempt will actually be made out of glass not carbon fiber. And once it's constructed, I plan to paint it. I'll probably try to fabricate smaller parts in carbon fiber before trying to perfect the process and wasting a lot of expensive material on larger projects such as the insert. But, I will post results either way.

Eckstream
12/09/2003, 10:04 AM
I would love to see some diamond plate floor mats with a lip all the way around to keep in muck. I spend most of my time off road and think this would be nice

kpaske
12/09/2003, 01:21 PM
I'd be interested in a hood scoop, but I'm not sure if I would go the carbon-fiber route. It would be nice if it were available in an unpainted version. I'd also like to see it made functional, not just for good looks.

A good intake would be nice too.

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/09/2003, 02:24 PM
I would love to have a grille guard like the one TrailReady was going to make before that deal fell through.

I may be interested in the JAOS bar that was mentioned on another post, however, it seems to not quite offer the kind of protection I want. I have emailed numerous custom tubing shops that have done custom work for other high profile vehicles (magazine posers) and have struck out on all attempts.

I have been researching the prospect on the net of using a B&M Megashifter setup in the VX...but, all their kits are designed for domestic vehicles. I used to have a B&M Console Megashifter for my Trans Am that I left in the car when it was sold. Wish I would have changed it out and kept it for the VX! I'm thinking that it could work if you drill new holes to mount it.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/spideraccessories/bmmegshiffor.html

Freon VX
12/11/2003, 07:13 AM
Isnt carbon fibre cooked in a vaccuum. Why would there be any sanding or bubbles to remove. I imagine anyone with a good carboard cutting skills could cut the template, the hard part is making the buck that it is molded to while it is baked. That said, for such a big part with so little detail, that really shouldnt be hard either. Anyone care to guestimate what the hood scoop would run? I guess about $275-500 IN cf.

VX_PA
12/11/2003, 11:00 AM
Jaos Skid Bar w/PIAA lights
18"-20" Wheels w/Nitto tires (summer use)
Possibly Side bars??
Chrome mirror covers (maybe I can win)
Rear Camera in factory location (still working on that)
Carbon Fibre Dash Trim
Carbon Fibre hood insert w/ carbon fibre hood scoop
Super Charger (in my dreams, can't afford)
Tru-dual exhaust with hi-flo cats
Upgrade suspension & brakes

If I totalled all that up I could probably buy a second VX for what it would cost me. LOL ;eeko;

johnnyapollo
12/11/2003, 11:19 AM
I believe CF is laid into wet resin (mixed with a catalyst) just like fiberglass. There's still room for bubbles and voids. If the part is cast molded the process is different - in resin casting you try to use a vacuum table and/or possibly vibrate the solution to push trapped air out. Injection molding uses forced liquid pressurized into metal molds. They all have the same issues with occasional voids and trapped air. The ideal situation involves a super clean injection or fill, where both the solution and mold are in vacuum so that there is no possibility of trapped air. However this is very expensive and only used in very large scale manufacturing.

Due to the small numbers and demand in the VX market, about the best you get is either parts produced for another model which can be used or converted, or small, private manufacturors like Ron who casts/injects to order. Most fiberglass workers will also throw a CF part together for you. Most of the time and cost is in the mold making process. After the mold is made, the cost difference between CF, Kevlar or fiberglass is relatively small. The second part of the equation is the laber cost. CF is much cheaper done in asia due to the cheaper laber cost, and lack of good quality, safety and environmental controls. It's actually mujch cheaper to have CF done in asia and pay for shipping, than to produce the same part in the US.

-- John

WormGod
12/11/2003, 11:32 AM
My first pitch would be the insert with induction or extraction. I would be game for either. I don't really care for it to be C/F, but I guess there probably wouldnt be much in the line for an option in any case on this one.

Not too interested in the intake, but if it could be done, I would be more than happy to partake.

For some reason, and I am probably alone on this knowing that not many folks have a-pillar gauges, but perhaps C/F a-pillars WITH a dual guage assembly built in.

Just to add, I am NOT a fan of shiney C/F products. The more matte they can be, the better.

omegavx
12/11/2003, 12:32 PM
Wormgod, one of the places I'm talking to about CF already has some A-Pillar pods and sets. Ofcourse I'm not sure if they'd fit, but you might check it out.

http://www.carbontrix.com/

About half way down on the page.

VX_PA
12/11/2003, 12:57 PM
It looks like they already make carbon fibre induction scoops also.

ron
12/12/2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Freon VX
Isnt carbon fibre cooked in a vaccuum. Why would there be any sanding or bubbles to remove. I imagine anyone with a good carboard cutting skills could cut the template, the hard part is making the buck that it is molded to while it is baked. That said, for such a big part with so little detail, that really shouldnt be hard either. Anyone care to guestimate what the hood scoop would run? I guess about $275-500 IN cf.

There are different methods in fabricating carbon fiber parts. The most common and cheaper method is the wet layup technique as JohnnyAppollo had briefly described earlier. Most auto accessory fabricators do this as it is the cheaper technique. With this method, you won't get a real perfect part as it is proned to bubbles during the curing stage. To get the bubble-less part, I believe you'll need to use prepreg carbon fiber material which already has resin saturated within the cloth and bake it on without the bubbles. Also, using the common vacuum-bag technique will reduce the chances of bubbles in the resin. Both latter methods are more expensive to do and the costs are passed down to the part along with labor.

Regarding the negative buck, that can be made out of regular fiberglass and resin material. The most difficult part is having to make sure that the buck mold is as perfect as possible without any flaws of any kind. Otherwise the molded parts produced from the buck will reveal each flaw in the end result.

This, of course will require your typical manual labor of sanding and re-sanding to perfect the mold. And if your parts also still reveal other unforseen imperfections, depending on how anal and patient you are, you can spend a few days or more trying to get it right.

The art of fiberglassing is unforgiving and takes time, effort, patience, and the tenacity to strive through major F' ups along the way. Much luck if you plan to pursue this.

-x-
12/12/2003, 01:39 PM
Cough.....clear sides.....:rollb: ....x

redline
12/12/2003, 07:25 PM
How about a Carbon fibre insert w/ louvers