PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

tom4bren
05/15/2015, 09:03 AM
Interesting conversation with Boy yesterday:

Boy: There's something wrong with the VX brakes.

Me: What's the problem.

Boy: There aren't any.

Flash forward a few hours. I pulled the right rear first since that is the one that had a sticking caliper in the past. All was good so I pulled the left rear. Outboard pad was completely consumed. The slide is frozen solid (can't get it free with 5lbs mallet or 18" wrecker bar). Piston is very stiff and can not compress it all the way. Since I needed it right away, I didn't have the option of searching for the best price but AutoZone had one for $79 (+ $57 core).

Long story short, it was an easy install & brakes work perfectly now. Even bleeding wasn't an issue since I was careful to limit the amount of air introduced into the line during the install.

Whenever I upgrade to the SS lines, it'll be much more involved since the bleeding process will be much more involved. That's a story for later this summer since I need to attack the tranny solenoids firstest.

jmayer40
05/16/2015, 07:41 PM
Upgrade bleeders with Speed bleeder. SB7100 it has a check ball in it. Let's fluid out and doesn't suck in air. http://speedbleeder.com/ or Autozone may have it.