PDA

View Full Version : Ron, please read

Apostle
12/04/2003, 03:08 PM
was wondering if you could look into makeing a stainless front skid plate, that would hook up to the westin brush guard?

if i hit something, i dont want it to hurt my baby

here is a rough sketch

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3003

possibly extending back about a foot, or so. but you get the idea

SGT.BATGUANO
12/04/2003, 06:00 PM
I guess great VX minds think alike.

I had asked Tone the same question when he started making skid plates. My question went something like........ could you fab a skidplate that would attach to the driving light mounting tabs on tha safari bar? In theory it would give both the bar and plate more support, however in a direct hit to the front of the skidplate it might push the bar up into the grille/ hood. Which is why I then thought up a mod to the safari bar that would provide an anchor point to the bumper that might require a couple holes through the cladding. It might not require the cladding drilling, if the holes for the liscense plate could be used.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/149myvx2.jpg

VX crazy
12/04/2003, 06:41 PM
Skid plates that Tone designed and took to Moab last year did just that - they rested against the Safari bar (no need to attach) and worked as intended. Some of us do not have the bar and it still worked for us.

The plate attached under the tow hook on one side and the second tow hook mount on the other side and extended back to cover the oil and tranny pan. The Safari bar and mounts are not strong enough to offer much protection if a plate was simply attached to them. Having the VX cut in the skid plate though is good idea.

ron
12/05/2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by VX crazy
Skid plates that Tone designed and took to Moab last year did just that - they rested against the Safari bar (no need to attach) and worked as intended. Some of us do not have the bar and it still worked for us.

Yes, I believe Tone has a diamond plate that is custom fitted to the Safari bar. I would inquire with him if you need one for your VX. He may also have some sources to have the "VX" perhaps laser cut into the plate if you want that extra look. Good luck.;)

Moncha
12/06/2003, 03:13 AM
Very highly recommended!! I used mine for last years event and was so impressed! Even made Laura pretty much fearless.
I know he's not actually making them right now but, like Ron said, contact Tone. He's the man!

Tone
12/06/2003, 05:07 AM
I’m definitely gonna add VX or something else to the front of the plate before Moab. I am working with a much bigger metal shop in my new job and hope to have them make the plate out of a single piece of material, either steel or aluminum.