PDA

View Full Version : Jaos Front Skid Bar??

VX_PA
12/04/2003, 05:50 AM
Does anyone think that the Jaos Front Skid Bar made for the CR-V or Rav4 would fit on the VX. It looks like the lines would go well with the VX and it should look good too.

http://www.jaos.com/products/frontskidbar/

There's the link to check out.

Tone
12/04/2003, 07:19 AM
I think it would but someone needs to find one and hold it up. Unless you have a nice stocking dealer, once you take a bar out of the box you can’t return it.

Bantan
12/04/2003, 07:40 AM
I ask about this a few months ago. I 've been searching for a Jaos dealer that does stock them. Found 1 out in Jersey but their hours of operation are Monday to friday 9 to 5 which happens to be the same time I am at my day job. I am gonna have to call in sick 1 day. If it does look good held up against the VX I will send it to Tone so he can make some adaptation brackets. VX_PA maybe you can find a dealer near you.

VX_PA
12/04/2003, 07:54 AM
I found a dealer about 45 minutes east of me, but he doesn't stock anything from Jaos. He'd be happy to order one in for $600 bucks, no return once opened like Tone said. I'd hate to spend $600 + shipping if it wouldn't work or doesn't look good. Bantan does your dealer stock these?

Bantan
12/04/2003, 08:46 AM
These bars are expensive. There is a place in brooklyn that quoted me $650 but they don't stock it. Thats why I contacted the dealer in NJ who quoted $358 and had it in stock. However I just got off the phone with him and he said he does not stock them anymore. Guess I should have gone a couple of months ago when I first inquired. Oh darn it!

It seems like everyone I call does not know what exactly I am talking about, even though I say "Front Skid Bar" one Dealer even Quoted me $1350. :freek:

VX_PA
12/04/2003, 08:54 AM
Yeah, that's crazy money for something that might or might not work. I'm going to keep looking for something that is different but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I just gave them up for a new engine so don't want to lose the ones I have left.

Triathlete
12/04/2003, 08:54 AM
For $650 I am sure you could have a bumper custom fabed of equal or better quality. Then it would mount to a VX without having to fab any type of brackets. I think for that kind of money the custom fab would be the better solution!

Dallas4u
12/04/2003, 08:55 AM
You may want to look around at some CRV or RAV4 forums, post what you are thinking of doing, and see if anyone would be interested in buying the bar from you if it doesn't look like it will fit.

TDAWG
12/04/2003, 08:58 AM
I guess I can add my .02 since I work at Pep Boys here goes. If you order one from them this is what you can do. It is considered a special order. If you buy it you can take home try it if it doesn't like it works just return it and you will get a full refund as long as you keep your receipt. Every Pep Boys will take it back. The customer has I believe 30 to 90 days for a return. As long as you don't damage the bars they'll take it back. You'd be surprised at the amount of things that are return to Pep Boys every day. So it wouldn't hurt to give them a shot. Remember this ask the cashier at Pep Boys what is store policy on returns and ask them for the Pep boys Corparate number and the store number just in case they get cocky about it. You'll be surprised about how nice they will be after that since all Pep Boy Stores don't want to get the Corparate call for being rude to a customer. If any one needs more info about it drop me a line I'll be more than happy to help out.

VX_PA
12/04/2003, 09:16 AM
TDAWG,

Can Pep Boys buy direct from Jaos? I'd have to go to Harrisburg PA, or Frederick MD to find a Pep Boys (about 1 hr either way). I would though if their price is better than $600. Won't be able to do it until January though, currently I am working 7 days a week to pay for my engine. Bantan is there a Pep Boys near you? If you do get one and it works let me know.

Tone
12/04/2003, 09:16 AM
Hey TDAWG, how about you ordering it since you work there and certainly would have any problems with the return?:D

MZ-N10
12/04/2003, 09:38 AM
i can check pep boys rite now if u want its only like 5 minutes away from my school
________
SecretaryGirl cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/SecretaryGirl)

TDAWG
12/04/2003, 11:17 AM
Hey Tone Good Point.:thumbup: I'll order both for the CRV and the Rav4 and see what comes up. If either fit then I'll have to find out how much it will cost to ship them to Tone. Hey Tone if by chance this does work will you be able to make up the brackets for mounting?

Bantan
12/04/2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TDAWG
Hey Tone Good Point.:thumbup: I'll order both for the CRV and the Rav4 and see what comes up. If either fit then I'll have to find out how much it will cost to ship them to Tone. Hey Tone if by chance this does work will you be able to make up the brackets for mounting?
Tone,
How about going 1 step further by replicating the bar itself once you get it from TDAWG? Then you can sell it at a reduced price with the integrated brackets.

BTW- Jaos does not even list Pep Boys as a Dealer:confused:

VX_PA
12/04/2003, 11:56 AM
Tone,

If TDAWG can get you the skid bar and you can make a bracket kit, do you think you can buy direct from Jaos and offer this as a kit? Might be jumping the gun here, but I do want this setup pretty bad. If I weren't working so much I would buy one and engineer the brackets myself. Thankfully this won't last much longer, I need some time off.

I am in for one if all of this works out. Tone just e-mail me (If you still have my e-mail address).

TDAWG do you plan on using the first one if Tone can make brackets? If not let me know.

Dallas4u
12/04/2003, 02:13 PM
:)

SGT.BATGUANO
12/04/2003, 05:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tone post a picture of this bar several months ago? Also, It might look neat, but you'll probably only have 2 mounting points, which after what happened to my Safari bar, has me thinking that any attaching brackets need some kind of triangular reinforcements welded in to support the 90 degree angle.

Bantan
12/04/2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tone post a picture of this bar several months ago? Also, It might look neat, but you'll probably only have 2 mounting points, which after what happened to my Safari bar, has me thinking that any attaching brackets need some kind of triangular reinforcements welded in to support the 90 degree angle.

Mr Anderson(Mike), you are absolutely rigth:
This is the POST (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=396&highlight=Jaos) I believe we both are referring too.
I dig this Jaos bar alot!
I wish I may, I wish I might, I wish..................

VX_PA
12/05/2003, 05:15 AM
TDAWG,

Were you able to get the Jaos bars from work? ;)

Raque Thomas
12/05/2003, 05:23 AM
Hey Bantan, are those dual exhaust tips functional? What mufflers are you using, and how's the sound?

Bantan
12/05/2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Raque Thomas
Hey Bantan, are those dual exhaust tips functional? What mufflers are you using, and how's the sound?

Yes they are functional, made so by a baffle which diverts some of the co2 to the Passenger side tip. I went with the PV2 muffler and it sounds like a "Ferosious Beast".
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/225olympus_download_385-med.jpg

StinkBug
12/05/2003, 11:35 AM
WOW! that price is insane!!!

If one of you guys wants to stop by the shop sometime I'm sure i could build something VERY similar for under half the price, and it would be designed to fit the VX. You'd have to take it to a chrome shop and have it dipped or paint it, but even then you'd be money ahead.

Dallas

TDAWG
12/06/2003, 07:55 PM
Well peeps,
It's done!;Dy; I ordered the jaos bar for a Rav4 and a CRV. Now I just have to wait and see what happens. Pep Boys special orders Department called me and asked why we ordered it and I told them that it would be nice to have 2 different displays of what we can get instead of just the normal Westin bars for Fords. They told me that they will have to cancel unless my Store Manager puts in the request so guess what happened.
:naughty: I handed him the phone and he told them to go ahead and put the order through and then the girl said :mbrasd: oh ok
so it is a go :thumbup: as soon as we get them in and we do a check for fit I'll post up the info. wish me luck.

VX_PA
12/08/2003, 06:02 AM
TDAWG,

Can you post pics of the bars held up to the VX? I love it when a plan comes together. Also, were the skid bars high priced for Pep Boys? Just trying to figure out how much mula I have to save for this.

Oh yeah, tell your store manager that he's the SH!%.:cool:

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/25/2004, 03:18 PM
I'm assuming this didn't come to pass???

VX_PA
07/26/2004, 07:57 AM
Never heard anything back from TDAWG. I don't have my VX anymore so I'm not looking to buy this anymore.