PDA

View Full Version : heated seats/winter button

Bagheera
12/03/2003, 06:47 PM
This may seem like a silly questions to most of you, but I didn't get an owner's manuel with my 1999 VX (posted in the WANTED area for one of these) so I am unsure of certain functions. First...do we have heated seats? I see a button that looks like a "defrost" by the center console (right around the mirror adjustments) is that something to do with heated seats?

Second, what does the "winter" and "power" buttons do?

Thanks for your help everyone!

~Kiersten

VX crazy
12/03/2003, 07:09 PM
I bet you wish it had heated seats!! :) No, that button is heated outside mirrors, when they are fogged up you can defrost them. The winter button starts you in 2nd gear for better traction I believe. And the power button is obvious, more power and its is what most of us have on all the time.

Anyone correct me if I am incorrect....

Heraclid
12/03/2003, 08:21 PM
Winter starts you in third gear for better traction in icy conditions and such. Only messed with it once, but I think it just blinks at you to show it is engaged (button doesn't remain lit, but I think winter mode is indicated on dash). I think you have to engage it while stopped, and that it disengages at a set speed (pretty low). Not sure if it will continue to engage after every stop and go until you press it again or not - would need to get my manual - I'm sure someone knows more about it offhand.

Power changes the shift points. In power mode you can get higher RPMs in each gear before it shifts to the next.

Tone
12/04/2003, 07:40 AM
Heated seats can be added fairly easily but install is the biggest expense. I spoke with several heater pad manufactures at SEMA again this year and the elements themselves are less than $150 a seat. Install though is a couple of hundred and is time consuming- if you can work with hog-ring pliers, you can do it but not I. Would love to have them though.

Dallas4u
12/04/2003, 08:51 AM
Hmmm... since you mention it, I now HAVE some hog-ring pliers (along with a box of hog-rings)! My wife took her Rodeo in for some warranty work on one of the rear back-rests, and the dealer left their pliers, rings, and a ratchet in the back. We didn't notice it for a few days.

Could be a nice little project here for me! Gotta take a look at the seats and see if it is something I even want to tackle.

ScubaSteve
12/04/2003, 11:59 AM
correction, just 'cause i can..........

winter mode: starts you out in 3rd gear. helps for gettin' outa snowy spots and/or over my neighbor's snowman. if you click it any other time OTHER THAN AT A STANDSTILL it will just flash once at you. at this point it does nothing. for you do actually be "in winter mode" u must click the button while stopped. The light will now STAY ON until you hit (i believe) 7 mph, at which time the light will go out and the truck stays in 3rd til you hit the appropriate speed for the auto tranny to go to 4th, then OD. winter mode turns itself off automatically. if you come to a stop, you must click winter mode again to engage the system.

oh, and it also makes the convertible top go down and the two 50cal machine guns pop out from under the door cladding. i believe this option was only installed on the VX sold around the baltimore/dc area....

as for the buttom up by the defroster with no label... that's the passenger eject button. u just gotta push it REALLY HARD.

oh and don't be a jerk - make sure you put the top down first.

-steve

AlaskaVX
12/04/2003, 01:45 PM
OK this is how winter mode works....
It starts you off in 3rd, then it switches to 2nd gear at around 7-10mph then it runs normally, and next time you stop at a REALLY REALLY ICEY spot then you have hit the button again. Pretty much it just bypasses 1st gear and replaces 1st with 3rd.

I never use the winter mode and I get around just fine... In fact I think the TOD does an awesome job alone. I still have my worn down mud tires on and don't think I have been beet at a green light yet this winter! However maybe sometime when stopped on an uphill slope that is sheer ice with water on top, you might really need to use it. Of course I learned to drive on snowy/icey roads.

Bagheera
12/04/2003, 04:20 PM
Thank you EVERYONE for all you help ;Dy;

ScubaSteve ..... now THAT was funny! Thanks!

Alaska ..... So far so good without the winter start here on the icy roads. My VX was originally from Texas so it's going through shock I am sure, with this cold air out here....poor thing already has a few rock chips from the drive home through the Rocky Mountains.

Thanks again to all of you.....I LOVE this site :)

sveltax
12/05/2003, 09:44 AM
The Winter Button can be activated if stopped or in Drive up to 7 MPH. Stays on until 21 MPH, or if you shift out of D, N, R, P or turn the truck off(resets). Starts in 3rd gear.

Power Button can be on all the time and does not reset, I leave mine on.

I have an interesting paragraph on Transmission in Back Up Mode. Gears must be selected, recommendations are below.

-High speed driving (Over 50 mph): Select D (Fourth Gear)
-Moderate speed driving (Over 15 mph and under 50 mph): Select 2 (Third Gear, yes 3rd)
-Starting from a stop, driving up or down a steep hill, or for engine braking when towing a trailer downhill: Select L (Do not exceed 65 mph or 45mph if towing a trailer) (First Gear)

This is out of an Axiom manual but it should be the same as we have the same engine and transmission as a VXer.