PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleaning!

ohiovx
04/13/2015, 05:21 PM
I know a lot of you are west or south west. But for us up north It's clean up time. I got my VX on the road in November, & of course I was aching to drive it since it was laid up for over 6 months. The wheels I got for it are polished aluminum (no clear coat ) So after 5 months of our fine winter **** they put on the roads the wheels started to get corrosion on them. I spent 1 night per wheel to get them back to looking new. Still have to do the passenger side.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1764.JPG

tom4bren
04/14/2015, 12:09 PM
Unbelievably sharp ride ya got there.:thumbup:

siemprelisto
04/14/2015, 12:28 PM
Your rig looks sooo cool.

Looks like a Tonka toy sitting on your lift.

Congrats!!!

YellowVX
04/14/2015, 05:15 PM
What kind of tires and wheels do you have on that beast? Do you have a lift? If so, how much?

H3_VX
04/14/2015, 05:29 PM
I could be wrong but those look like super swampers with mickey thompsons

ohiovx
04/14/2015, 06:22 PM
They are Super Swamper TSL's (36") & 8" wide Mickey Thompson wheels (fake bead loks). 3" body lift & aprox 3' suspension lift.
Thanks for the compliments it does clean up pretty well for it's age! If you get 3-5' away it has some scratches but not too bad.

JoFotoz
04/14/2015, 07:23 PM
SWEET :_steering

Looks really good... "Business like" :thumbup:

I wish I had your garage !!

Cheers

Jo

VX KAT
04/14/2015, 11:16 PM
I just tried 2 products on my aluminum polished rims....want to see if one is better than the other.

Maybe a coat or two of Griot's Paint Sealant before winter, may help prevent or lessen your corrosion.

1) Griot's Garage Paint Sealant or One-Step Sealant:
http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11075-One-Step-Sealant/dp/B002E02MOQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1429077869&sr=1-2&keywords=griot%27s+garage+paint+sealant
I got the "One-Step Sealant" as it has a very fine polish to remove some lights swirl marks and oxidation, AND the Paint Sealant, all in one bottle. The first one doesn't have any polish, just wax..
They claim it's a synthetic wax, that will last up to a year.

You can use a rougher polish first, then finish with either of these.

So far (1 month), the loose dirt from my dirt road does collect a little between the spokes, but I can blow it off, without touching it at all.

So far, I can't see any difference between these two products, BUT, if the Paint Sealant lasts any where close to a year I'll be happy!

2) Wheel Wax-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000643U3O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Claims "brake dust and moisture can't penetrate, and changes the surface polarity of the wheels so it helps repel brake dust particles".

Same as above, I can still blow the dirt off w/o touching them.

HTH

ohiovx
04/15/2015, 03:54 AM
SWEET :_steering

Looks really good... "Business like" :thumbup:

I wish I had your garage !!

Cheers

Jo

I wish I had my garage and didn't have to work out of it!! The only way I could afford to build it was if I make money out of it. Then I never seem to have time to get much done on my stuff. It took me 8 months to rebuild the engine & do the lift. :mado2: