PDA

View Full Version : More Tranny Issues :(

mattferguson14
04/10/2015, 10:52 AM
So the other day I drained and filled my tranny. When I drained it, only about 3 1/2 quarts came out. I didn't drain the cooler lines or try to get any out of the torque converter or anything. I didn't really want to drain it ALL anyway as I've heard it is not recommended when the fluid is burnt. So anyway, took 3 1/2 quarts out, put 3 quarts in plus about half a quart of Lucas tranny additive (not the stop leak stuff). I filled it until I got a steady dribble out of the check hole (yes I was on a solid FLAT surface and the truck was up to temp). Before the fluid change i was experiencing a slight late/hard shift intermittently. When I first changed it, it was shifting super smooth. But now almost a week later, the problem has worsened. Late/hard shifting at times and twice now it has refused to go into second gear. I've had to put it into neutral and then back to drive and it will shift. So my question is, am I doomed?? Or is there something I can do/try to fix it? Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks!

Mile High VX
04/10/2015, 11:26 AM
Check your fluid level by following this from the shop manual:

Fluid Level
When adding or changing fluid, use only DEXRON )–III.
Refer to Maintenance and Lubrication in General
Information section for maintenance information and
servicing interval.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFILL.
Overfilling will cause foaming, loss of fluid, abnormal
shifting and possible damage to the transmission.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and apply the parking
brake firmly.
2. Check fluid level with engine running at idle.
NOTE: Be sure that transmission fluid temperature is
below 30C (86F).
3. Move the selector lever through all gear ranges.
4. Move the selector lever to “Park”.
5. Let engine idle for 3 minutes and open the overfill
screw (1).
6. Add released transmission fluid until it flows out over
the overfill screw opening.
7. Let engine idle until a fluid temperature between 32C
(90F) and 57C (135F) is reached, then close the
overfill screw (1).
Torque: 38 N•m (28 lb ft)

tom4bren
04/13/2015, 06:48 AM
Matt,

It sounds like one or more of your shift solenoids could be bad. There's a recent thread on the topic (including links where to buy the solenoid kit). Prolly about $300 DIY in your driveway.

Tom

mattferguson14
04/13/2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks Tom, I'll check it out.

mattferguson14
04/13/2015, 04:03 PM
I found the post Tom. Sounds like solenoids could definitely be my problem. I figure I'll probably remove and clean the shift sensor like they discussed in the other post just for the hell of it. I have not noticed the shift position lights on the dash jumping around, however, it does not register that I'm in drive 2 at all. I also have a slight fluid leak at the shifter seal that I can fix at the same time. I saw a video online that shows you how to adjust the bands in our transmission. Do you think that would be worth doing while I'v got it torn apart? also, I couldn't tell in the vide if the band adjustment was on the top of the tranny, or if it's under the pan? Anyone know?

mattferguson14
04/13/2015, 04:05 PM
here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHWDxAwhzYc

mattferguson14
04/13/2015, 04:07 PM
now I can see. it is definitely under the pan. Anyone here ever adjusted the band on their VX?