PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Help!! Bcm??

tysamigo
04/07/2015, 04:19 PM
NEED HELP PLEASE

Just when I thought I had seen it all...

I'm sitting in the driveway, shifter is in PARK, foot off the pedal, parking lights are on, Heater unit is on and fan is on MAX... everything is good... then all of a sudden...

The fan (motor blower) stops working. The defroster button is still illuminated, but no fan..

Then all at once... the dash lights went out, the parking lights went out, the headlights went out, and now the speed cluster says I'm in 2nd gear!!

I haven't changed anything, I'm still sitting still in PARK but the dash says I'm in 2nd. I shift to DRIVE and the dash shifts to drive, I shift back to park and the dash says I'm in 2nd.

I turn off the ignition but the VX IS STILL RUNNING. I turn it back on and the same symptoms above are there. I turn it off and the VX IS STILL RUNNING, but when I turn it off, I hear a small humming noise from under the passenger airbag area/glove compartment area...

I disconnect the positive terminal on the battery and THE VX IS STILL RUNNING!!

I'm going to post this and then go back out and pull some fuses or something to at least kill the motor, maybe the ignition fuse...

Does anyone know what the hell is going on?????

I called my mechanic and he said it may be something called the BCM (Body Control Module) and this if a vehicle's BCM is going out then you would expect lots of "weird and erratic" behavior.

I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE VX FAM ...

If you know right off the bat, could you please call me

Ty

tom4bren
04/08/2015, 05:13 AM
Not a clue. sorry.

That's just too weird!!!

Let us know what happened.

tysamigo
04/08/2015, 07:29 AM
After posting to the group and trying to research Body Control Module or Control Module, I went back out and all the lights were back on, everything was working as it should. I pulled it into the garage and turned it off... but...

This morning I went out, started it up and everything was fine. The A/C unit was set to HEAT and FLOOR and the fan was off. As soon as I turned the fan from OFF to MAX, instantly all of the lights went off and the shifter says 2nd gear but I'm still in park. I tried to turn off the truck and it still runs (as before).. while the key is in the OFF position, this time I turned OFF the fan on the A/C unit and as soon as I did the truck TURNED OFF!!

WTF????????????

I can't drive it until I know what's going on. I don't want to get stuck somewhere or all of a sudden the truck's lights go out or I'm somewhere and I can't get the truck to turn off...

Please, someone brainstorm with me!!!

This is my daily driver

mattferguson14
04/08/2015, 07:35 AM
Well it seems like the climate control unit is the trigger for your problem. I am not sure where the ECU or BCM are located on the VX, but if it is under the climate control unit, maybe your heater core is leaking on to it? I had that exact thing happen on an old Maxima. Heater core leaked right on to the ECU. I replaced the core and used a blow dryer to dry out the ECU, worked like a charm. Either eay, it's definitely an electrical malfunction, so either an electrical component is on it's way out and is shorting, or you have a bad/loose wire or connector somewhere. I'd start by taking out the stereo and climate control unit just to get a look at what is going on back there.. Sorry I'm not a lot of help.. this is totally weird.

Triathlete
04/08/2015, 07:37 AM
Sounds like there is some sort of electrical short in the switch/wiring for the ac/heat fan. I would pull the panel and check it, the plug and any wiring you can see.

Cobrajet
04/08/2015, 08:07 AM
As soon as I turned the fan from OFF to MAX, instantly all of the lights went off and the shifter says 2nd gear but I'm still in park. I tried to turn off the truck and it still runs (as before)

Reminds me of the old joke...
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
Doctor: "Well, don't do that!"

Seriously though, at least you have narrowed the search to the climate control system. Good luck.

tysamigo
04/08/2015, 08:28 AM
ok, when I get home tofay, that's exactly what im going to do...

THANK YOU ALL!!

mattferguson14
04/10/2015, 03:38 PM
you ever figure this out tysamigo?

tysamigo
04/14/2015, 11:08 AM
After I posted the problem and researched the group for some potential answers, I went back outside and my VX is working properly!! WTF?? :confused: So aparently, once I trigger the problem, if I turn off the VX (and I'm lucky enough for it to actually shut off), and I wait a few hours and then turn it back on, the VX works just as it should.

I am confused...

OK, so I took everything apart and removed the A-C/Heater Unit (not really sure what the proper name is for it). I drove around for a couple of days with NO PROBLEMS at all. I plugged it back up and did NOT turn it on at all, drove around like this for a day with NO PROBLEMS. Then I turned on the unit by turning the fan blower all the way to max. As soon as I did that, all hell broke loose.

OK, so I haven't changed a thing on my VX before this started. I have not added any mods, have not changed any wiring, have not tapped into any wiring, have not changed or manipulated any grounds, no fuses popped anywhere... why would the A-C/Heater Unit cause this type of problem?

I'm so confused...

So I guess my next step is to obtain another unit somehow, plug it up and see what happens...

Does anyone have one for sale or that I can use to see if this is my problem????

:confused: :confused:

siemprelisto
04/14/2015, 11:41 AM
Hey Ty,

If no one is any closer or if no one has a better suggestion or solution I think I have an extra one.

If not, since my Son lives in Cadiz, over next to "Land Between the Lakes" and is a fellow Kentuckian, I can take one out of one of my VX's for you.

Either way it would be just a loan. And you promise if my unit gets Fried you will get me a new one.

Let me know...

tysamigo
04/14/2015, 11:55 AM
Hey Ty,

If no one is any closer or if no one has a better suggestion or solution I think I have an extra one.

If not, since my Son lives in Cadiz, over next to "Land Between the Lakes" and is a fellow Kentuckian, I can take one out of one of my VX's for you.

Either way it would be just a loan. And you promise if my unit gets Fried you will get me a new one.

Let me know...

That sounds great! I would really really appreciate that!!! And of course, if something goes wrong I would certainly replace yours. I just need to know if this is the actual problem or not...

Let's see if anyone else chimes in ...

mattferguson14
04/14/2015, 12:51 PM
Well it sure as heck sounds like your climate control unit is the problem. Probably an internal short somewhere. If you were an electronics/techy kind of guy you might dig into the thing and see if you can locate any shorts or burnt up connections. Electrical gremlins are tricky in any case and your best bet is to just replace it. You should be relieved that it was such an easy problem to pinpoint. Some of us (myself included) have on-going electrical issues that we have learned to live with. Personally, if my headlights are not on, every time I put on the blinker all of the lights on my climate control unit flash along with the blinker, as do my lower running lights in the rear. I think it was caused when the PO installed LED signal/tail lights. I have yet to pinpoint the problem so I just live with it. lol

tysamigo
04/14/2015, 02:24 PM
Well it sure as heck sounds like your climate control unit is the problem. Probably an internal short somewhere. If you were an electronics/techy kind of guy you might dig into the thing and see if you can locate any shorts or burnt up connections. Electrical gremlins are tricky in any case and your best bet is to just replace it. You should be relieved that it was such an easy problem to pinpoint. Some of us (myself included) have on-going electrical issues that we have learned to live with. Personally, if my headlights are not on, every time I put on the blinker all of the lights on my climate control unit flash along with the blinker, as do my lower running lights in the rear. I think it was caused when the PO installed LED signal/tail lights. I have yet to pinpoint the problem so I just live with it. lol

Regarding your problem... do you know if a load resistor was added? Sometimes when converting to LED, it's common to have to use a load resistor.

Regarding my problem, it sounds like it might be the climate control unit... but who knows if that's really it. As soon as I can get one in my hands and test it, then I'll know for sure...

PK
04/14/2015, 05:30 PM
I think there is a short in the wiring to the blower fan, or the black box that controls the blower fan.
Try different settings on the climate control with the blower fan turned off, and then try again with the blower fan on.
That might help to pinpoint the problem further.

PK

EVO
04/15/2015, 07:13 AM
Try cleaning and reseating both battery terminals. I had a loose one that intermittently caused disco lights on my dashboard and random codes on the obd. Goodluck.

RAZ
04/15/2015, 03:42 PM
I had something like you problem. could not figure it out and only happened when it was real damp out. Turned out to be a short in the main wiring harness. Look for me thread on the ecm
Steve

mattferguson14
04/16/2015, 08:57 AM
Regarding your problem... do you know if a load resistor was added? Sometimes when converting to LED, it's common to have to use a load resistor.

I see that little resistors were added in line. I'm not sure if they were the correct ones for the job though. Either way, it's not causing any major issues so I really haven't messed with it too much. Plus with the headlights on, everything works fine, so I normally drive with them on even during the day. lol