PDA

View Full Version : Engine Block Heater

SoilDoc
12/03/2003, 09:16 AM
I got a new job in Sidney, Montana and will be moving there at the beginning of January from Virginia. Thanks to Tone, I checked the geographic feature on the Members link and I will be alone in Montana. It's cold there! Do I need an engine block heater (St. Charles or aftermarket)? Are they hard to install? What about fluids? Anyone have advice on engine oil weight or cold weather VXing?

AREA 51
12/03/2003, 12:56 PM
I've always thought that the tank type pulsating heaters that you splice into the heater hose are the best. For fluids, check your manual. Synthetic couldn't hurt.

AlaskaVX
12/03/2003, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure how cold it gets in Montana but up here I am loving my new autostart! I had a block heater installed but hardly ever plug it in anymore (I try to remember but it only gets plugged in like once a week) I don't really notice a difference wether it was plugged in or not. It was pretty inexpensive for it to be installed though. For oil I use 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer. I use all synthetic fluids, and encourage everyone to do the same. :supercool

However with the autostart and warming it up every morning, during lunch, after work, and whenever else I am only seeing 10 miles to the gallon. I use 92 octane and am supercharged

Tone
12/04/2003, 08:00 AM
I‘ve taken mine to South Dakota and glad I had an Optima and 5-30w oil but it was still slow starting. You’ll want the right ratio of antifreeze as well as washer fluid that has an antifreeze component. Block heaters are definitely recommended if the vehicle is operated in sub freezing weather and kept outside. If the engine feezes, the auto start ain’t gonna help!

AlaskaVX
12/04/2003, 11:17 AM
I don't know why but before I got my autostart it took a little to get started but now either using the remote or the key it starts right up! Used to take like 3-4 seconds now its just .5 seconds to start. Not saying not to get a block heater just letting you know what I have experienced. How many people remember to plug your car in? Then in the morning you forget about it, until you start pulling out of your driveway and you see your 50ft extension cord from your house to your car pull out of the house wall, or worse drag that cord to work with you! Something to do if you want to plug it in all the time is to get a hook that will keep your extension cord plugged into the house (screwed in right next to the socket and wrap the cord around it)