PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid overfill??

mattferguson14
03/31/2015, 11:39 AM
So just the other day I was out doing a bit of casual offroading. Noting crazy, just crawling through some washes and climbing some small, easy hills in the local AZ desert. As I came through a spot of fairly soft sand, my truck started to feel as though it were getting stuck/buried in the sand. The tach read 3000 RPMs, but I was going nowhere. I knew better because I have never had any trouble getting through sand, no matter how deep. The feeling I felt was the transmission slipping/binding. I had the tranny in D2, so I came to a stop and shifted back up to D and drove right out. When I got to a flat, solid surface, I decided to check the transmission fluid. I thought maybe it was a bit low because I have a very small leak at the shifter linkage. So with the truck running and up to temp, I removed the fill/check plug and about a quarter to a half quart came spewing out! It finally settled down to a dribble and I ran it through the gears. I thought maybe it was low, but maybe it was actually over-filled from the last time I put tranny fluid in it??? Any input here? I may have gotten overzealous last time I filled it and put a bit too much in. However, I am noticing that the shift points have changed, it is shifting at a higher RPM than before, almost like it's in power mode (but it's not). I also noticed that the fluid is really dirty. Wondering if I should drain and fill it?? Thanks ahead of time for any input or advice.

tom4bren
03/31/2015, 01:17 PM
The fluid level at the check plug is VERY sensitive to how level the vehicle is. The VX should be perfectly level when checking. If you have to bias it in a certain direction, go slightly nose down.

Yes, I'd say you should drain & refill if it's dirty. Don't cycle through the gears without any fluid in it though to try and get every drop out. Just pull the drain then plug it back off whenever it stops coming out. Refill till it's seeping out of the fill port. Then & only then should you cycle through the gears to make sure the fluid is properly distributed. Then top it off again if needed.

mattferguson14
03/31/2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks Tom! It was pretty level when I checked it. Like you said, if anything it may have been very slightly nose down. You know off hand how many quarts of tranny fluid she'll hold?

tom4bren
03/31/2015, 03:39 PM
According to page 0B-11 of the shop manual, 9.1 quarts.

I'd be surprised if you got that much in considering that you probably won't get all of the old stuff out.