PDA

View Full Version : 55.3!!!

bartmanS4
03/28/2015, 09:17 PM
That would be my new crawl ratio! I do believe I am likely the first and only VX with Teralow/revolution gears. I bought the gear kit awhile back but decided I wanted to get a spare transfer case to put the gears in and then swap transfer cases to minimize downtime. It's a good this I did it that way because I ended up with one wrong part and had to call Matt at Indy4X to get the right idler gear sent, but he quickly hooked me up with the right one.
Huge thanks to both Jon (VXorado) and Jake (Otwobme)!
Jon and I went and sourced the t-case at the pick-n-pull and now he has my un-modified manual t-case to mate to his new front end.
Jake generously put up with me using his shop, tools, press, and assistance in installing the gears.
Today I went to the DYI auto shop and did the t-case swap. Nice setup with a lift and all the tools you need for about $30/hr. Only took me 2 1/2 hours to complete the job. Tested 4lo out and man it is low. Over 50% increase compared to stock. Can't wait to try it out off-road.

JoFotoz
03/29/2015, 09:49 AM
:thumbup::smack::clap:

Nice going Scott ( and Jon & Jake ) .. cant wait to see it in action.

Moab is going to have a bunch of interesting Mods to check out this year !

:_beer:

Jo

LittleBeast
03/29/2015, 10:02 AM
Awesome. Can you provide a link with the kit? Which one is it at Indy4x?

bartmanS4
03/29/2015, 09:30 PM
Awesome. Can you provide a link with the kit? Which one is it at Indy4x?

Well, unfortunately there is no kit available for the TOD transfer case. I sourced the TC off a '96 Auto Trooper. I think any '92-97 auto trans Rodeo or Trooper is a good choice. These TC are the fully manual 2H, 4H, 4Lo ones. Later years use an electric motor to switch from 2H to 4H, this would work but it would take additional wiring and a switch to activate 4x4. I thought this was just more complication and the mechanical setup should be more reliable.
Stock setup on the VX provides only a 30:1 ratio and doing this mod alone would bring you up to 38:1. Noticeable difference and might be worth doing this mod by itself especially if you don't dig TOD.

RevolutionGears (https://www.independent4x.com/Revolution-Gear-31-Low-Range-Kit_p_8.html)
92-97 Trooper Man/Auto

VXorado
03/31/2015, 11:35 AM
Anytime Scotty! Just let time borrow your VX for a week... say between May 10th-16th?

Otwobme
03/31/2015, 12:53 PM
just glad to be of assistance and not a hindrance....:bwgy: i will be doing this to after i do the manual swap.

ZEUS
04/01/2015, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Todd Adams' VX has the Tera gears in it. If I remember correctly... How well do your brakes work in lo range now?