PDA

View Full Version : 4L30-E Trans Info

siemprelisto
03/01/2015, 03:39 PM
Just ran across this.

Thought some might be interested in the info.

Hades
03/01/2015, 11:41 PM
The max vehicle weight is interesting to me, one thing keeping me on the fence of selling and getting another car is the limited payload for towing cross country. I may stick with it and slightly exceed gvwr knowing the tranny isn't that much of a wimp.

circmand
03/02/2015, 06:01 AM
The max vehicle weight is interesting to me, one thing keeping me on the fence of selling and getting another car is the limited payload for towing cross country. I may stick with it and slightly exceed gvwr knowing the tranny isn't that much of a wimp.

The VX was never intended to tow (see manual) though I and a lot of owners have used it for such. The occasional light weight may be okay but if you intend to tow a lot and long distances selling (while regretful) may be you safest bet

Hades
03/02/2015, 07:52 AM
Its not technically a lot. More so between fuel, myself, fiance, and pets, the weight of the vehicle is already at 4500 lb. Was just trying to tow a small 4x6 or 5x8 with probably a 200-250 tongue weight. This would allow us to just get one Ubox and, save money of course, have our essentials with us while waiting for the box to arrive (last cross country move it got lost in a facility and took 30 days).

circmand
03/02/2015, 09:32 AM
Its not technically a lot. More so between fuel, myself, fiance, and pets, the weight of the vehicle is already at 4500 lb. Was just trying to tow a small 4x6 or 5x8 with probably a 200-250 tongue weight. This would allow us to just get one Ubox and, save money of course, have our essentials with us while waiting for the box to arrive (last cross country move it got lost in a facility and took 30 days).

I towed a small car on a tow dolly from AZ to PA with no problems even in the mountains. Just one thing CHECK YOUR OIL AT EVERY STOP. I did not and ended up getting pretty low. I got lucky and did not experience any mechanical issues.