PDA

View Full Version : Hood problem

jwing1
02/24/2015, 06:40 PM
Suddenly, I cannot get the hood to open. Any suggestions on freeing it up. It appears that the release in the dash is no longer working. It appears I am going to have to try some disassembly to get it open. I would welcome any suggestions.

Nospacers
02/24/2015, 06:48 PM
Hi, I just bought a VX last week and I had this same problem. Someone here said to adjust the rubber bumpers for the hood located on either side of the radiator. They look like big rubber stoppers and they are threaded so you can twist them to raise or lower them. Mine were all messed up so I took some low profile rubber furniture feet and screwed them to the top of the bumpers to give them some extra height. To open the hood now though, you will probably need someone to lift on the hood while you pull the release.

Good Luck!

Triathlete
02/24/2015, 06:49 PM
Have you tried pulling the release as far as it will go while someone else pulls up on the hood? Sometimes this will happen when the two rubber hood bumps need adjusting (they adjust by twisting them).
If that doesn't fix it check to make sure all the bolts are tight that hold the hood latch.

tom4bren
02/25/2015, 05:01 AM
The hood release in the cabin is made of pretty flimsy stuff. I had to take mine apart and bend it back into shape at one point. I'm sorry but it was too long ago to remember exactly what the problem was. The good news is though that it's an easy fix with no parts needed. Just take it apart to straighten whatever is bent & it's fairly easy to see what is out of shape.

Until you do that though, you should be able to grab the cable with a pair of pliers at the release handle & get'r open.

Cobrajet
02/25/2015, 06:12 AM
I remember having to stuff a piece of foam under the release handle while I ran out and pulled the hood up on mine. I raised the bumpers and haven't had this problem since. However, I still think my hood sits up too high in the front, like it has been slightly bent up/out by the raised bumpers. I wish they had installed some kind of springs to "pop" the hood up when the latch releases. Kind of reminds me of the lack of a popper spring on the rear door. Where were the engineers?

tom4bren
02/25/2015, 06:45 AM
Double G,

I replaced the rubber bumpers with springs on an old pick up I had. It worked perfectly.

t4b

nocturnalVX
02/25/2015, 07:14 AM
If the hood release inside pops the hood, but you can't get the manual release to work, you may have to use a screwdriver to to unlatch it. Then hit it with the WD40 until it moves freely.

evillecutter
02/25/2015, 07:54 AM
is the hood supposed to actually pop up like most other vehicles? mine never did - i could hear it pop but then i would half to pop it open myself then unlatch it - not a big deal just always thought it was weird - all of my latches were well oiled and everything was there

bartmanS4
02/25/2015, 08:31 AM
Yes, it should actually pop up. I replaced my very worn rubber bumpers with some Trooper ones I found in good shape and was then able to adjust them correctly.

circmand
02/25/2015, 09:59 AM
is the hood supposed to actually pop up like most other vehicles? mine never did - i could hear it pop but then i would half to pop it open myself then unlatch it - not a big deal just always thought it was weird - all of my latches were well oiled and everything was there

I bought my VX new and it never popped up by itself either. I pulled the latch and walk around and pop it myself

Mile High VX
02/28/2015, 06:56 PM
I replaced my old bumpers with new ones from isuzuparts.com...made a world of difference...:bgwb::bwgy:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMAG0240.jpg

vxfocus
03/01/2015, 04:59 PM
i just had this problem a week or so ago o shut my hood with the prop rod not in the proper position and nothing i could do would get the hood to release
so i looked in through thr grill and saw the 3 ten mm bolts holding the latch and took those off and was able to open the hood and get everything back to normal.
you will have to use 1/4 inch drive because 3/8 is just to big for the clearance,use an extension with a universal and you can get it off
good luck hope this helps