PDA

View Full Version : New engine

ND92
02/24/2015, 10:47 AM
Well I finally had my VX towed to the shop last week to find out the cylinder 1 misfire and just got a call back today. They did several compression tests and it came back with 15 psi so theres a few options i could go with.
1: pull the head and it might be as simple as the gasket.
2: pull the head and it might be as disastrous as a blown piston ring.
3: new engine.
4: engine swap.
I'm leaning towards an engine swap and I've searched and read every dead thread (hey that rhymed) about engine swaps and have hit a dead end. The northstar seems like the best option but could be a costly engine to maintain. I like the idea of the LS4 but it has the starter mounting issue soooooo I'm at a cross roads. I want to keep the stock trans and trans case so that I can keep TOD.
Has anyone heard from WRCSTI since this thread?
WRBSTI
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21780&highlight=northstar

looks like this might screw me for moab this year so any help would be appreciated!!

Your friendly neighbourhood canadian

bartmanS4
02/24/2015, 11:30 AM
Doh! Sorry to hear this Stephan. I'm still enamored with the 3800 Series II option but, quickest/fastest/cheapest route would be to replace it with the same 3.5l. Since our trans is a weak point there are a lot of parts cars out there with decent engines and bad trans. Doesn't fix the problem really just kicks it down the road. Good luck!
Scott

ND92
02/24/2015, 03:49 PM
does the 3800 bolt to our trans? and whats the advantage?
Level 10 sells a trans rebuild that is supposed to handle up to 700hp so depending on what engine I go with then ill drop in their rebuild.

ahdoman
02/24/2015, 10:32 PM
A true leak down test would confirm if you have a bad valve or rings. A compression test won't tell you where the problem is. If the mechanic didn't do a leak down test you really need to have him do that.

VXorado
02/25/2015, 06:46 AM
Bummer Stef... hope you don't miss the trip. :noo:

As for the Northstar swap, I have a quick story.

I met WRBSTI briefly while shopping at a junkyard that had a wreaked VX. Nice guy who told me about his engine swap plans to the owner of the junkyard and myself. The owner of the junkyard happened to specialize in Cadillac because so many Northstars fail, he would buy them cheap and get the engine fixed for a resale. Something about a 2 pc. block that requires a gasket which commonly fails. Anyways he couldn't say enough bad things about the Northstar and how it would be a poor choice for an engine swap. Shortly after that WRBSTI seemed to bail out on the engine swap all together.

To me, the Northstar still seems like a good candidate for an engine swap but maybe look into the issues before proceeding.

After my recent build endeavor, I personally will think twice about these kind of projects like axle swaps, engine swaps, frame swaps, etc. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money and time with the SAS trying to get everything right the first time). I feel like an engine swap will be the same thing i.e. autopros year long build. Definitely weigh out the "pro" list before committing to the engine swap. For me, if I ONLY wanted a solid axle for strength over the CVs, I could have saved thousands having a custom shop build me titanium halfshafts ;Do;. Luckily there were more benefits for me to justify the pain of not driving the VX for 6 months.

If you're looking to stop oil burning and get a little more power, it might be much easier to get a rebuilt engine with the ring modification and source 4.77 gearing or an S/C. Then you'll have a reliable VX that won't nickel and dime you with gauge clusters, finding the right ECU, exhaust kits, and all the little issues you'll find along the way. Things never match up just right after a major change like this. For instance, just swapping the front axle on my VX has eliminated my airbags because I lost the ABS speed sensor. I had no clue the speed sensors were related and wasn't expecting to lose airbags. That's just my 2 cents.

Leon R
02/25/2015, 08:58 AM
If I was going for a swap, I would go with LS4 option

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24246

You can't beat $600 LSx engines!

ohiovx
02/25/2015, 01:21 PM
I still say my idea of a Cummins 4BT is the best swap. will have to loose TOD but I'm not that fond of it anyway. the 36" tires & 4.30 gearing would be perfect for a diesel. would probably get close to 30mpg when tuned properly.

ND92
02/26/2015, 03:58 PM
Well I went and had lunch with my mechanic today to discuss my options and we are going to do the LS4 swap. It's a solid engine with very big after market support. We just need to address the starter issue and the wiring and electrical. We decided to go the LS4 route mainly because the northstar has its expensive head gasket problems and the stock 3.5 will cost me almost $8000 not including install (gotta love the low gas prices EH?)
So if anyone has any advice on the electrical front, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Hope to have a thread up and step by step on the swap as soon as I figure out the wiring.

RedProwler99
02/26/2015, 04:53 PM
Wow..at $8k the stock 3.5L sounds like a collector's item! Seems to me the LS4, as a v8, would be hard to squeeze under the hood of a VX? Likewise a Northstar? Will the transmission here really take the torque generated by these engines? Why no V6 consideration (3.8L Series II)?

RedProwler99
02/26/2015, 06:38 PM
Well I went and had lunch with my mechanic today to discuss my options and we are going to do the LS4 swap...

Wow! After reading this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22505

...I imagine you are taking on that sort of project? Do you have a $30,000 budget for this? Am I reading your thread incorrectly?

Cable Bob
02/26/2015, 07:38 PM
It really needs to be a labor of love and "DIY" otherwise it will be WAY more expensive than rebuilding the original motor, and without your VX for a while, that's my 2 cents.

ND92
02/26/2015, 07:49 PM
Wow..at $8k the stock 3.5L sounds like a collector's item! Seems to me the LS4, as a v8, would be hard to squeeze under the hood of a VX? Likewise a Northstar? Will the transmission here really take the torque generated by these engines? Why no V6 consideration (3.8L Series II)?

It shouldn't be too hard to squeeze it in the engine bay but we are still in the planning phase.
The transmissions internals aren't strong enough but a company called level 10 makes a high strength rebuild kit that can supposedly take 700hp.
Go big or go home I guess? I wanted something that would give me good power and be reliable. Any v6 option was either a little anemic or wouldn't give good gas mileage.

ND92
02/26/2015, 07:55 PM
Wow! After reading this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22505

...I imagine you are taking on that sort of project? Do you have a $30,000 budget for this? Am I reading your thread incorrectly?

That project is a little different considering they put in an Ecotech which is quite a bit more money than the LS4. They also put in a 4L60E and new transfer case, I will be retaining the stock 4L30E and Borg Warner transfer case.
A slightly used LS4 runs anywhere between $800-$3,000. It's the labour and wiring harness that will be the most costly but my mechanic has told me that it won't run me $8,000 like it would for a new- stock motor

ND92
02/26/2015, 07:58 PM
It really needs to be a labor of love and "DIY" otherwise it will be WAY more expensive than rebuilding the original motor, and without your VX for a while, that's my 2 cents.

Oh I know what it's like. I've rebuilt my current engine already. It cost me $6000 and took 6 months to get repaired. Since we both know how much of a pain in the *** the VX is to work on, we both know what we are in for.

LittleBeast
02/27/2015, 08:48 PM
Having my 3.5L rebuilt here in Houston was just under $4k for all expenses (removal, reboring, new parts, instalation) and warranty. Very happy with the results years later now.

ND92
02/27/2015, 11:29 PM
Having my 3.5L rebuilt here in Houston was just under $4k for all expenses (removal, reboring, new parts, instalation) and warranty. Very happy with the results years later now.

My current 3.5 has been rebuilt already and it keeps giving me problems so im fed up with it and would like a little more power. My $6000CND rebuild converts to just over $4000USD. I wish I would have LS swapped it all those years ago when it grenaded the first time.