PDA

View Full Version : front axle leak

rowhard
02/15/2015, 01:05 PM
have a question for anyone that has replaced the front axle pinion oil seal. Manuals calls for a flange holder tool J-37221, page 4A1-4. If you have weight on the wheels, maybe even foot on the brake, can't you break torque on the flange nut to get at the pinion gear seal? Just wondering before I start the replacement. Also, I do have a pneumatic impact wrench:confused:

also, if someone has a good part number, that would help. am getting conflicting dimensions at two different suppliers

bartmanS4
02/15/2015, 01:31 PM
Once you have the prop shaft removed you can just stick a screwdriver or similar through one of the bolt holes and use it to hold the flange steady while you use an impact driver to remove the nut.

PK
02/15/2015, 03:11 PM
As a person that has rebuilt a lot of diffs in different vehicles, this is not a job I would be doing with it still in the vehicle.
There is a collapsible spacer behind the flange and that sets the preload on the pinion bearings. You have to have the diff out to set that up correctly. Doing a seal change in the vehicle makes it absolute arrse to get the preload correct.

Good luck if you get away with it.

PK

djvx
02/15/2015, 05:22 PM
I went and put brand new aftermarket cv's on both sides. Epic fail just as I suspected since the aftermarkets are rattly and make a lot of noise. The ONLY thing wrong with my OEM axel shafts/cv's was boots torn and not for very long, so I regreased & rebooted them. Does anyone want to come to Milwaukee WI and put them on for me?

rowhard
02/16/2015, 07:17 AM
As a person that has rebuilt a lot of diffs in different vehicles, this is not a job I would be doing with it still in the vehicle.
There is a collapsible spacer behind the flange and that sets the preload on the pinion bearings. You have to have the diff out to set that up correctly. Doing a seal change in the vehicle makes it absolute arrse to get the preload correct.

Good luck if you get away with it.

PK

well, that really throws a monkey wrench into the works. After re-reading the manual, see where your coming from.

:mado:ah sh&t

TheGanzman
02/16/2015, 07:37 AM
Two words: "Arizona Differential" (in Phoenix) - they're the BEST! Reasonably priced, in and out in a day, nice guys to boot! My front diffie is leaking too (they did my rear diffie a coupla years ago, when I lived there), and I WILL be making the mecca to them sometime in the next six months from SoCal to fix it; my advice - go and do likewise...

rowhard
02/16/2015, 07:55 AM
just contacted them for a quote. why do vehicles seem to know when your getting a income tax refund

JoFotoz
02/16/2015, 11:08 AM
Thats a bummer....

I went and put brand new aftermarket cv's on both sides. Epic fail just as I suspected since the aftermarkets are rattly and make a lot of noise.

...what after markets brand did you use?

jo

rowhard
02/16/2015, 12:26 PM
Thats a bummer....jo

yea it is, but she is 14 now and knock on wood, she has been trouble free. The only thing I have had to do was the drivers side CV boot.

While under there yesterday, saw the passenger side has now also recently torn. their OEM so can't complaint. other things have been replaced, but only as preventive maintenance.

Jo, what reg is that Austin Mini you have there? Had 5, 2 were coopers, what fun

jmayer40
02/16/2015, 02:38 PM
Perfect timing. I was going to replace it also. Picked mine seal up at Rockauto. Part no. 474133 ,made by National.

djvx
02/17/2015, 06:18 AM
Thats a bummer....

...what after markets brand did you use?

jo

I got them from O'rielly auto parts. Said Import Direct on box. I believe the reason they rattle is due to the smaller ball bearings. Im having member Nocturnal VX's mechanic put the OEM's back on later this week. Just gotta take it to Chicago which isn't too far.

JoFotoz
02/17/2015, 09:54 AM
FYI...

I got them from O'rielly auto parts. Said Import Direct on box.

The 'Surtrack' after market shafts are the best bet.

OEM specs on bearings... great fit.

Just not for crazy off road use.. !

Jo

JoFotoz
02/17/2015, 09:57 AM
The one in my Avatar...

Jo, what reg is that Austin Mini you have there? Had 5, 2 were coopers, what fun

...is my first car ever!

1962 850cc Mini... !!

Eventually graduated to a 1275 GT Cooper..which as you know..
....are amazing little machines !!

Jo