PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket exhaust

mattferguson14
01/28/2015, 06:10 PM
What is a good aftermarket exhaust for a stock VX? A previous owner welded on a glass pack. It's now saturated and blown out. I sound like a Honda Civic's big brother coming down the street right now. I have absolutely no back pressure and crappy top end (a ton of low end torque though). A buddy of mine who works at a shop told me the cat is toast. I was thinking Flowmaster.. but wouldn't know what model fits the VX. Any suggestions? Gotta get this done asap, fairly inexpensive if possible. Thanks ahead of time.

JoFotoz
01/28/2015, 06:18 PM
Lots of info here ......

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?searchid=632228

......from a quick search. :cool:

Jo

nocturnalVX
01/28/2015, 10:35 PM
That is a bad link Jo, but there are many exhaust posts that can be found using the search function...

tom4bren
01/29/2015, 05:13 AM
Can't your buddy fix you up with a generic cat & muffler?

circmand
01/29/2015, 05:58 AM
Can't your buddy fix you up with a generic cat & muffler?

any custom muffler shop should be able to do if they bend their own pipes (many do not) the OEM parts are sky high and hard to find. I checked a new exhaust system awhile back and it was over $3000 just for the two pipes coming off the motor. I believe the Cat and muffler OEMs are both over $500 each.

mattferguson14
01/29/2015, 06:44 AM
any custom muffler shop should be able to do if they bend their own pipes (many do not) the OEM parts are sky high and hard to find. I checked a new exhaust system awhile back and it was over $3000 just for the two pipes coming off the motor. I believe the Cat and muffler OEMs are both over $500 each.

I can definitely have my buddy hook me up with a generic cat/muffler. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a specific type/brand of aftermarket system that works well and potentially increases horsepower for the stock VX. I'd like to have some sound as well. Just not the ricer sound I'm getting right now. lol

WormGod
01/29/2015, 07:21 AM
I can definitely have my buddy hook me up with a generic cat/muffler. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a specific type/brand of aftermarket system that works well and potentially increases horsepower for the stock VX. I'd like to have some sound as well. Just not the ricer sound I'm getting right now. lol

If you're getting rice off this 3.5, it is definitely a garbage muffler and plumbing. With the right set up, you can sound like a baby 5.0.

I wouldn't expect a lick of hp+ though. I think it is due time that old wive's tale went away. Leave the air intake and exhaust swap big fish stories for the Civic crowd. A 2-4hp boost (if even) from air flow is hardly gonna win any trophies. ;)

mattferguson14
01/29/2015, 09:09 AM
If you're getting rice off this 3.5, it is definitely a garbage muffler and plumbing. With the right set up, you can sound like a baby 5.0.......

What is the "right" setup?? lol

samneil2000
01/29/2015, 11:40 AM
I had a magnaflow put on mine and I'm happy with the sound. Quiet low rumble until you put your foot in it, which I rarely do anymore.

JoFotoz
01/29/2015, 11:55 AM
A Flowmaster super 44 will give you a good sound...
( though 'good' is subjective!..I like it, and know many others do too)

I run one with single in/dual out and twin tailpipes...
... and its certainly not 'ricer' !

However..it may not fit your "fairly inexpensive" criteria .

Jo

JoFotoz
01/29/2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks Gill :thumbup:

That is a bad link Jo, but there are many exhaust posts that can be found using the search function...

I think I fixed it.

Like you say..search function !!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php?searchid=632228

:_beer:

Jo

mattferguson14
01/29/2015, 02:04 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowmaster-942446-Super-44-Muffler-2-25-Offset-IN-2-25-Center-OUT-/291361247423

this the one you were referring to Jo? is this a good price?

JoFotoz
01/29/2015, 02:32 PM
Yes and No... !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flowmaster-942446-Super-44-Muffler-2-25-Offset-IN-2-25-Center-OUT-/291361247423

this the one you were referring to Jo? is this a good price?

I have the heavy duty Diamond Plate version for better Off Road strength..
...and I also run one in / two out.

But yea..thats the basic version.

As for price.. its been many years , so tough to remember!!
I'm sure you can compare online prices , or even fitted prices
from your local muffler shop.

IIRC, the entire custom system I have......
....from cat all the way back, with the Super 44 Diamond plate, twin pipes,
and with twin tips both sides was about $400

Hope this helps

Jo

LittleBeast
01/29/2015, 04:24 PM
I just had a Magnaflow welded in and absolutely love the result.

WormGod
01/30/2015, 07:43 AM
What is the "right" setup?? lol

Anything but the wrong one. :p

Of course, much of the signature comes down to the actual muffler itself. But, most people do not realize just how much the bending/mandreling affects signature sound. A shop that understands this should know how to conform a custom exhaust to your liking.

YellowVX
01/30/2015, 09:45 AM
Magnaflow all the way. I can hear it rumbling down the street from 2 blocks away.

mattferguson14
01/30/2015, 09:53 AM
Magnaflow all the way. I can hear it rumbling down the street from 2 blocks away.

Any particular model for Magnaflow that sounds/works best?

Vendetta
01/30/2015, 09:55 AM

But how does it sound inside the cockpit?

I'm looking for an honest-to-goodness, truly NO DRONE solution that still sounds awesome on the outside.

-V

circmand
01/30/2015, 11:36 AM

I'm looking for an honest-to-goodness, truly NO DRONE solution that still sounds awesome on the outside.

-V

Just take the money you save and buy a kickass stereo

Vendetta
01/30/2015, 11:55 AM
It's crossed my mind, but I can't imagine any kickass stereo that can be gotten for the price of entry to a decent exhaust.

-V

JoFotoz
01/30/2015, 06:05 PM
Line her out with Dynamat...

-V

...and that'll help... A LOT :thumbup:

Jo

Vendetta
01/30/2015, 08:38 PM
Line her out with Dynamat...

...and that'll help... A LOT :thumbup:

Jo

But the weight bro, the weight!

Also, I've heard mixed reviews. :_confused
-V

JoFotoz
01/30/2015, 09:01 PM
'Meh', on the weight thing V... IMO !

But the weight bro, the weight!

Also, I've heard mixed reviews. :_confused
-V

I'm not Dynomatted, but I DO haul lots of extra Bumper/Line-X/HD suspension/Tire weight...

...and its not a big issue.

As for mixed reviews... dunno!!
I've never used it...but heard good things about it :cool:

Jo

WormGod
02/02/2015, 07:08 AM
Someone say weight?

JUST S/C it!!:bgwb:

Heck I am dynammated with a larger wheel and tire package. The S/C gives me what feels like factory power again!! :_steering :_crying:

Vendetta
02/02/2015, 08:04 AM
Someone say weight?

JUST S/C it!!:bgwb:

Heck I am dynammated with a larger wheel and tire package. The S/C gives me what feels like factory power again!! :_steering :_crying:

"Factory power!" Yeah baby! :laughgray

-V

tjh
02/02/2015, 07:26 PM
Cascade.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/automotive_audio_enhancement/dampers_for_cars.htm

ipd
11/05/2015, 08:44 PM
I know, old thread...but this bears repeating.

BACKPRESSURE is an automotive myth. You do NOT want backpressure in ANY exhaust system. Period. That myth was started by individuals who do not understand fluid dynamics. The purpose of a PROPERLY sized exhaust is not to create backpressure, but rather to maximize scavenging efficiency. When the piping is TOO large, there will be minimal restriction on flow, but the exhaust charge from each cylinder will also tend to "dwell" in the piping, rather than scavenge properly. When this happens, the net effect is WORSE than a smaller, stock-sized exhaust. In a "stock" exhaust (or rather, one that's properly sized for the engine displacement and power output), each cylinder's exhaust charge creates a vacuum in the piping as it scavenges. This vacuum then "pulls" the next sequential exhaust charge out of the pipe in a more efficient manner. (About the only thing MORE efficient would be zero exhaust piping).

Vehicles with a "too-large" exhaust will usually feel a bit more sluggish on the lower end, but do better up top--where the piping is more "in-line" with the needs of the operating RPM's/output.