PDA

View Full Version : Transmission sevice

mattferguson14
01/21/2015, 01:04 PM
So, this weekend I will be taking my VX in for a transmission service. I found a writeup here on the site on how to drain and fill, but don't feel like doing it myself.. plus I live in an apartment and management doesn't like me wrenching in the parking lot. lol So, my question is, do you suggest a simple drain and fill? Or do I need to have the filter replaced as well? Can any tranny shop do it, or should I have it done at an Isuzu certified place? I assume, as with other vehicles this age, a flush is not advised.. correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks ahead of time!

Cable Bob
01/21/2015, 04:30 PM
Probably the first question is how many miles are on your VX? Since there is no dipstick you really need to see the fluid, the color and what it smells like would be the best indicator.
If it's dark, cloudy, red to brown and smells like rubber bands change everything. If it's reasonably red you can just do a fluid change. Others might chime in on what the best fluid and weight.

That's my 2 cents but pretty sure there will be others with better advice.

LittleBeast
01/21/2015, 06:11 PM
Unless you are having transmission problems I would not touch the tranny, fluid, or filter. Only if you have problems would I ever suggest doing anything to the transmission. Yes even if it is over 100k miles.

circmand
01/22/2015, 06:04 AM
Change everything. I beleive if ll is as it should be change fluid, filter and gaskets, as I did. And if there are problems do so as well. If there is all kinds of crap floating in the fluid change everything as well. The filter can only block crap and hold it from circulating so much and so long. I have never heard a valid reason for not doing so. It is not like oil where you can not get everything out since the tranny is on the bottom it is like an oil change with taking the drain pan off instead of just the plug.

mattferguson14
01/22/2015, 04:33 PM
arrggg, conflicting advice is not what I needed.. lol Now I don't know whether to do the transmission service or not..

Cobrajet
01/22/2015, 06:24 PM
Yes, do not do nothing, for if you do you will be happy that you did not, and therefore you can be sure that there is nothing left not to be undone...

Clear as MUD. The decision has been made for you. :)

JoFotoz
01/22/2015, 06:31 PM
Unless there is an issue...

DONT do it!

Too many examples of preventative tranny work...
..thats actually caused issues IMO.

Jo

VXobsession
01/23/2015, 12:04 PM
As the owner of a transmission shop, and 4 VX's, my husband says do NOT do ANYTHING with your fluid if you aren't having any issues. The filter can be changed after 100,000 but do not flush! Just our 2 cents...

circmand
01/23/2015, 12:08 PM
As the owner of a transmission shop, and 4 VX's, my husband says do NOT do ANYTHING with your fluid if you aren't having any issues. The filter can be changed after 100,000 but do not flush! Just our 2 cents...

And I am not an expert so a shop owner is probably better equipped to handle this question.

Not sure how you would change the filter without losing most of the fluid anyhow.

VXobsession
01/23/2015, 12:26 PM
Drain the fluid into something....and then put it back in. Just don't be careless with the container of fluid in the process. Make sure there's nothing that could get into it. Or, just have a shop do it but be persistent that only the filter be changed.

VXobsession
01/23/2015, 12:29 PM
Flushing it can, and most of the time does, cause the gunk and trash to break free from the inside of the case, which will cost you a transmission rebuild.

mattferguson14
01/23/2015, 01:02 PM

You win! I will do nothing except maybe a filter change at some point. I am not having any "problems" with hard shifting or slippage. The only tranny related issue I have experienced is that it takes a while, maybe 3 seconds or so, for the truck to go into reverse after shifting out of park.. not sure if this is common for VXes or not. Also, sometimes when I shift into reverse from drive, it sometimes will not shift at all unless I put it in park, and go back to reverse.. any thoughts?

Thanks!

ojmagg
01/26/2015, 04:10 AM
The stall from Park to Reverse may indicate that you are low on fluid...make sure you are up to temp when you check the level.