PDA

View Full Version : Support a fellow VX member...

hchen
12/01/2003, 12:28 AM
Sup guys,

im just trying to get my music out everywhere and i have yet to post it out here. So if anyone wants to give my music a shot and enjoy some good ol' underground hiphop, check out my website.

www.soundclick.com/illliterati

all of it is done with computer programs, $30 mic, and a knack for music so please, check it out. i just started about 2 years ago and have a long way to go for where i want to be. I have some fun tracks, some battle tracks, and some tracks that have a statement. Everything is original, no instrumentals taken from other artists...except a few cuts from songs laced into the instrumentals. From Top to Bottom = New to Old. the songs are either solo or collabs with Sed-i and Neko Gallina, two other emcees also pretty new to the game but quickly developing their own styles and skill.

~after you get to the main page, click on the Music link either on the side or at the title next to my name and it will take you to the songs. To download, you have to do a free membership but non-members can stream the songs~

i take any and all constructive criticism. (many of the older songs need re-recording and re-mastering) there's a lot i want to do to make the tracks more full but i have a hard time because of school, work and lack of production equipment but it's getting there slowly. Thanks everybody, your support is greatly appreciated.

ill-literati aka hai yee chen

nyc #1 ironman
12/01/2003, 05:18 AM
Hey, Anita is the pro here at music and honesty... I would trust her opinion. I'll check it out also. Uderground hip-hop sounds good...Any sound factory type music?

Apostle
12/01/2003, 05:42 AM
Not my cup'o'tea but i like the chipmunks in dyin' breed

surfindonesia
12/01/2003, 05:57 PM
i dont particularly like rap or hip hop but it doesnt sound bad....

keep up the good work

Heraclid
12/01/2003, 06:51 PM
Hey, just my thoughts and I'm no expert or anything, but here goes...

Well, it's not really my kind of music at all, but setting that aside - and I don't mean any disrespect by this - but it's a lot better than I had expected. I think the biggest thing is that some of the lyrics don't flow. Maybe trying to cram too many syllables into a line - sometimes there's a setup for a rhyme but there's a few bumps on the way to the payoff. Another thing is the speed of delivery... the transitions from slow to fast and back again seem a bit erratic. Not all the time - sometimes you nail it and sometimes not, which is a lot better than never. Some of it is pretty thoughtful and has some soul despite the roughness around the edges. Hey, keep at it - you can see some improvement from the older stuff to the new, which is good.

I think in a lot of ways Hands of Sam is the most interesting one, although your politics are way skewed, bro. But I digress... I admire that you're going after a dream with tenacity and doing what you love is so important.

Anita
12/01/2003, 07:58 PM
A few thoughts off the top of my head at first quick listen. Understand this is only my opinion..

My main impression so far is that you need to build your hooks better. Some are pretty weak, others are good, but still need work. A bangin hook is everything in Hip Hop.

PLUS, and this I think any producer would tell you.. on many of your songs you take way too much time getting to the hook. A LOT sooner if you want air play. We listen to hundreds if not thousands of songs a month.... it needs to demand my attention right away. Otherwise, I slap the next guy's CD in the player.

I would like to hear more variations in the cadence of your rap. It is VERY similar from song to song in some cases. Maybe a little more thought on how to run from verse to hook to verse again.

There are some great ideas breakin through on some of the songs... i would like to see them developed more.

As far as content of the rap...I would need to take some more time with the music. Cant comment yet on it.

;Dr;

hchen
12/01/2003, 10:21 PM
Anita,

thanks for the advice. i'll try to work towards what you say. however, there is a difference between underground styles like artists such as, Lyrics Born, Eyedea, Atmosphere, Aesop Rock..etc and mainstream party hiphop that is all about the hook and not much content but the same things said written different ways.

yea the way i do verse to chorus is very similar...i've noticed it myself too. so lately i've begun listening more closely to other artists and breaking it down...it would be a plus if i had a producer here to help me out like i have in Taiwan. the stuff i've recorded there leans more towards mainstream but alas, i dont have any of the tracks because they've kept it all. lol they wont rip me off tho 'cause im good friends with 'em...if they do...all hell will break loose.

of course im far from where i want to be and where i will be in a few years given the rate of my improvement (you should hear my old crap...yea it's crap). im developing a more underground sound rather than mainstream style where the hook the only part people really listen to. but i know what you mean and i'll think about what you said when im doing new projects.

especially in Taiwan where im working with some producers right now on mainstream (not pop-hop..like what is there now) hiphop. thanks for taking time to check out my music ^_^

hyc

hchen
12/01/2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
Hey, just my thoughts and I'm no expert or anything, but here goes...

thanks man, it'll take me a while but it will happen. all i really want to do is play small clubs and perform next to my favorite artists and gain their respect.

haha politics...opinions opinions opinions...it's all good, 'cause that's what makes life interesting...controversy.

Heraclid
12/02/2003, 03:10 PM
Well I didn't want to dwell on the politics because it would take away from the discussion of your music. I am a pretty staunch conservative but I figured I'd try to spare the forum all that this time around. I'll keep it at this - don't accept anything at face value - look for proof that what you are told is true (or maybe it's sort of true but they conveniently left something out) and be critical of liberals and conservatives alike and the truth will find you.

As for your goal, I'm sure you can do it. Always look for ways to improve and never be satisfied with "good enough" and you'll always have an edge.

ScubaSteve
12/04/2003, 04:02 PM
Anita, what do u do that makes you 'the person to ask'? Sorry, i guess compared to the lot of ya i'm still a wee lad around here:rolleyes:

As for your stuff, hchen, it's 'not my bag' but still doesn't sound bad. but hey, everyone's a critic...... i'm actually going into the studio Dec. 20th & 21st to record a 5 track demo... somehow I manage to play rhythm guitar in a rock band. buuuuuuuuut anyway, dunno, maybe i'll post a link to an mp3 or something and fetch Anita's (+ the Gang) professional(?) opinion... dunno though - don't wanna corner her on the forum or whatever...

anyway, good luck.

ill-liter-ROCK-i? no? ok nevermind....

Capri
12/05/2003, 12:42 PM
On a separate subject - I really miss Taiwan, wish I have time to go back once in a while. :mad: