PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with a THUNK

Mile High VX
01/07/2015, 06:26 PM
So when backing the Dragon out of the driveway in the morning I get a thunk with every full tire rotation. Very definite and crisp. It is not loud but I can feel it through the brake.

After driving the VX and getting it warm the noise will not repeat until the next morning after it sets overnight. It has been going on a while so it's not associated with the very cold weather we've had recently here in CO.

I have to turn to get out of my garage and then back down a pretty good incline. On occasion it will not begin to thunk until I turn the wheel.

I'm running Royal Purple in my diffs without and additive. All CV boots are intact, but I did have rebuilt passenger shaft put in a few months ago after my CV boot tore. The shaft came from a donor VX and was rebuilt.

Just looking for some help on where to start diagnosing the issue.

Triathlete
01/07/2015, 07:11 PM
Probably not the same type of thump...but flat spots on tires if low on air and sitting over night in cold? Happens to me in Moab when I am aired down.

ahdoman
01/07/2015, 10:38 PM
Neighbors cat? I guess that would be more of a "squishy" sound.

Is it audible from outside the vehicle? It might be worth while to have someone listen from outside and at least determine which side it's coming from.

Also, I'm not sure how our E-brakes work but it might be hanging up until you drive forward?

Volksnick
01/09/2015, 10:08 AM
Mine had a thunk once. The clip on the end of the axle came off and the front right was bouncing around. Pull the dust cap, reapply the clip and spacers and no more thunk.

Just a thought

Otwobme
01/09/2015, 04:48 PM
Hey why don't you bring it by the shop and I'll put it on the lift and take a look for you. No charge

Mile High VX
01/09/2015, 05:51 PM
Hey why don't you bring it by the shop and I'll put it on the lift and take a look for you. No charge

Awesome...thanks Jake.

I'll be in touch.