PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil Leaking

JayDallas
01/04/2015, 12:02 PM
It's this something mayor? any ideas?

bartmanS4
01/04/2015, 12:24 PM
It's likely from the transmission. You can see evidence of the leak also on the bottom of your trans pan. I could be engine oil but my bet is on the trans, fix that first.

JayDallas
01/04/2015, 01:06 PM
That is actually the same engine oil that is spreading all over from the same area while I'm driving.

Triathlete
01/04/2015, 02:34 PM
More than likely being blown by fan and wind. I would give it a thorough decreasing and then try to trace it to the source. Could be a number of things. Pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, dip stick, main seal, oil cap,.......
If tyranny fluid...hoses (check where they enter the radiator), pan gaskets, shift selector shaft gasket...

Mile High VX
01/04/2015, 04:16 PM
I had the same issue...changed the pan gasket and all is well now.

circmand
01/05/2015, 06:06 AM
oil on the bottom of my VX just from spilling when adding oil.

JayDallas
01/05/2015, 03:28 PM
I don't see any leaking from the pan. But There is a plate and I can see oil coming from in between the plate. This plate is located right where the transmission and engine join together.

Triathlete
01/05/2015, 05:19 PM
This may help...
http://m.instructables.com/id/How-To-Diagnose-A-Rear-Main-Seal-Leak/

JayDallas
01/05/2015, 05:22 PM
Thank you!

JHarris1385
01/06/2015, 05:11 AM
I have the same leak. Changing the pan gasket was not enough. It has never been enough of a leak to drip onto the floor either.

JayDallas
01/06/2015, 08:32 AM
I think is the main rear seal. I used some blue devil this morning, i hope it works till i get a chance to get it tp the shop.

JHarris1385
01/07/2015, 07:43 AM
I should get my blue devil in the mail today (Amazon).

JayDallas
01/07/2015, 10:39 AM
I try the blue devil and looks like is not working, I already drove around 200 miles and still leaking. I am getting a quote to get it fix. But I am more thinking in selling it and get me my X5 back. Kind of sad situation I was looking forward to enjoy my VX off-road.

GAMEON
02/03/2015, 08:56 AM
I've gotta be in the same boat with having an oil leak. I replace the pcv frequently and clean out the tube to the intake each time. I've tried seafoam and just tried a product from BG Products to clean out the inside of the engine and rings. I have no oil drips on the ground and the only oil residue I see underneath is at the front driver side on the A/C compressor. When I purchased the vx a little over a year ago I had to add about 1/8 of a quart at my fill ups (didn't even really need to add it, but I did anyways). Now... I'm adding anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 a quart EVERYDAY. It's getting really ridiculous. I thought maybe the valve cover gasket was leaking, but I dont see anything from where you would think it was leaking from with the residue being in the location it's in. I replaced my intake manifold gaskets about 6-8 months ago and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The intake manifold it's self was coated pretty good on the inside, but I didn't really think anything of it since it's probably coming through the pcv. I'm really at a loss and don't want to just keep throwing money at it in hopes of making the known problem just less. Anybody have any tips or idea? Thanks in advance.

I'm at a point of ready to sell it lol.

tom4bren
02/03/2015, 10:33 AM
Anybody have any tips or idea? Thanks in advance.

Well, you didn't ask for good ideas so I'll just throw out something questionable.:)

I replaced my PCV with an oil catch can. It's about $15 and 15 minutes of labor that you can do yourself. I'm sure its less than a 50-50 chance of helping with your leak but ya never know. Here's some pix in an old post:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=285833&postcount=29

BTW, I also put a breather on my oil cap for good measure.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_2419.JPG[/LEFT]

My oil consumption is about 1/2 of what it was before so if your leak is pressure related, this fix might help.[LEFT]

GAMEON
02/03/2015, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the tip. I might have to give the catch can a try.

Scott Larson
02/03/2015, 10:50 AM
OMG Tom, you just had to go there again, din't you (yup' I said DIN'T)! We all know yer catch-can can't possibly work, don't weeeee!! :slap: :rotate: :_beer:

tom4bren
02/03/2015, 11:03 AM
Now you done opent up that can o worms. For shame!!! I was trying to save the NEWBs a ration of grief by not making them read that whole thread.:)

All I know is what I know & nut'n else. I was losing twice as much oil before than I am now (& I got an extra 0.05% increase in throttle response as a bonus). That's all I got to say 'bout that.

GAMEON
02/03/2015, 01:55 PM
Now you done opent up that can o worms. For shame!!! I was trying to save the NEWBs a ration of grief by not making them read that whole thread.:)

All I know is what I know & nut'n else. I was losing twice as much oil before than I am now (& I got an extra 0.05% increase in throttle response as a bonus). That's all I got to say 'bout that.

And I appreciate the help and not making me read that whole thread lol. I love this site, but sometimes trying to find the help you need is so hard lol.

Thank you again! :)

VX KAT
02/03/2015, 05:59 PM
That's all I got to say 'bout that.

Thank you Forrest!:slap:

IndianaVX
02/04/2015, 03:53 PM
I had an oil leak that was hard to track, and it too is a very long depressing thread. BUT it was near where you are describing. Anywho, behind the timing belt cover, there are the pullys that drive the cams. Where the cam comes out the front of the head, there is a seal. When I had some work done on my truck, that seal was replaced with a non OEM seal, and it became unseated and leaked down the front of the engine on the driver side, behind the cover. Now, oil can get to funny places with wind, spinning parts, ect, but there may be a chance that the oil could get from the cam, go behind the timing belt cover, and drip around the AC compressor

Like above, it's not a GOO suggestion, but a suggestion none the less! Oil leaks are really frustrating. They also make a UV ADDITIVE that can be added to the oil, and then driven, then when exposed to black light or the expensive uv flashlight they want you to buy, you can track where the oil is coming from
GOOD LUCK