PDA

View Full Version : TOD not working

simonsayz1
01/04/2015, 10:01 AM
Got a little snow today and was excited to try the VX out. Found out that the front wheels aren't getting power in 4H, but if I put in 4L then they work. No lights are flashing, when I apply gas the "wheels" on the dash light up like they should. Any Ideas?

bartmanS4
01/04/2015, 12:36 PM
If the TOD wheel lights are lighting up then the TOD ECU is happy and thinks all is well. This can happen if there is a completely blown CV joint, missing prop shaft, or it the TOD has been modified by a previous owner. What doesn't make sense is that 4lo is working correctly. This would indicate prop shaft and CVs are ok. Any possibility the PO modded the TOD system? You can look under the passenger seat to see if the wiring bundle to the TOD ECU has been modified.

simonsayz1
01/04/2015, 12:43 PM
That's what is confusing me (that 4 lo works). I have no idea if previous Owner modded it, Bought from dealership out of state. Looked up previous owner on title and she was a 65yr old real estate agent. I would need to remove passenger seat to look at ECU right?

Triathlete
01/04/2015, 12:51 PM
What makes you think tod is not working properly...what is happeningg, symthems, etc.
You do realize that the front diff is open...meaning even when power is being distributed to the front only one wheel will get power.

bartmanS4
01/04/2015, 12:56 PM
Yeah, you'd have to pull the seat. Doesn't sound likely that that is the issue though. There would be a switch somewhere to engage 4wd. So you can do donuts easily in TOD and can't in 4lo? 4lo will feel a lot different even if front wheels aren't pulling.

simonsayz1
01/04/2015, 01:08 PM
Triathlete-
got a little snow last nite, backed out of garage and decided to pull back in. Back wheels spun and started to slide down driveway (very slight incline).
Thought about open differential so I had family on each side checking for wheel spin, nothing for front wheels. Put in 4lo and it walked right in. Wheels on dash light up like it's working, no check light on and check light bulb works on start up

raver_boi_88
01/04/2015, 01:59 PM
I had the same exact issue, except my tod light would flash occassionally. Perhaps someone took yours out? Anyways what I found is that the sensor that is on the back of the t-case was dirty. I took it out and cleaned it, put it back in and I havent had any problems since.

Triathlete
01/04/2015, 02:37 PM
The 4 hi and 4lo system work totally different so it is not unusual for one to work properly and the other not. But, I'd start with the sensors mentioned above. Then wiring.

simonsayz1
01/04/2015, 02:53 PM
Thx. If it was a sensor or the TOD was removed would the check light come on?

simonsayz1
01/04/2015, 05:41 PM
Ok, took out the sensor you were talking about. Had some metal flakes, cleaned them off, still isn't working. Took passenger seat out, TOD module looks untouched. Did find something under the seat, don't know if it's from the VX or not. How do I post pics?

Mile High VX
01/04/2015, 05:56 PM
From the site FAQ:

First you need to browse to the Gallery. Click on the "Gallery Links" on the menu and scroll down to "Upload Photos".

Uploading a Photo is accomplished thru the use of this form. By filling in the variables, you are telling PhotoPost which photo you wish to upload and information about the photo.

Choose a cateogry - select the most appropriate place for your photo using the drop down list of available categories.

Photo to upload - using the Browser button, select the file on your system you wish to upload (be sure that the file does not exceed size limitations)

You can also upload a ".zip" file containing multiple photos. You can do this by browsing to the .zip file rather than the actual photo as stated above.

Disk space remaining for your account - This tells you how much disk space you have left for uploads

On the next page you will be prompted to enter the following information for each image you uploaded:

Enter a title for the photo - This is a short description of the photo

Keywords - enter up to 10 descriptive terms people can use to search for your image

Photo Description - This area provides for a more detailed description of the photo

Do you want to be notified by email when users post replies? Check this box if you would like an email whenever someone posts a comment to your photo.

Supported image types include: JPG, GIF and PNG.
Support multimedia type (if enabled): MPG, AVI, ASF, WMF, MOV

bartmanS4
01/04/2015, 06:11 PM
Yes, if there was a problem with a sensor the check light would flash. As far as pulling into your garage is it possible that the lower gearing in 4lo allowed for better traction or better operation of the lsd rear diff?

simonsayz1
01/04/2015, 06:42 PM
That could be Bartman, thought the front wheels would engage no matter what. When I was driving on the roads the back end would slide out easily. Maybe I'm just used to 4wd vehicles, thought TOD would give more traction.

bartmanS4
01/04/2015, 10:38 PM
That could be Bartman, thought the front wheels would engage no matter what. When I was driving on the roads the back end would slide out easily. Maybe I'm just used to 4wd vehicles, thought TOD would give more traction.

It should give more traction. My thinking is that one of you CVs is blown so that you don't have any front wheel drive. If you can try doing a doughnut in 4lo, if the rear spins out you have a problem in the front end somewhere. Since the front is an open diff all the power goes to the path of least resistance. Since the TOD only reads prop speed it doesn't know what the wheels are doing only what is happening at the output flange.
Scott

simonsayz1
01/05/2015, 09:12 AM
Bartman,
Couldn't do donuts in 4lo, it pulled like a freight train.
Any other ideas?

bartmanS4
01/05/2015, 11:50 AM
Bartman,
Couldn't do donuts in 4lo, it pulled like a freight train.
Any other ideas?

Damn, I'm out of ideas. Can't get my head around why 4lo works but TOD doesn't and has no fault indication.

circmand
01/05/2015, 01:15 PM
but does your fault light up on start up? Maybe the bulb is burnt out so you do not see (or removed by previous owner or something?) try taking it to a parts store for a FREE code reading

simonsayz1
01/05/2015, 01:52 PM
Cirmand,
It does light up when I start up, Can advance auto read TOD codes? Had it at the old Isuzu dealership about a month ago and no codes came up. Me thinks it's the t-case:mado: Maybe the clutch packs

tom4bren
01/05/2015, 03:01 PM
TOD codes are read differently than CEL.

There won't be any codes though unless the TOD light is flashing.

circmand
01/05/2015, 03:24 PM
But the lights wont flash if bulbs removed. I just suggested it as a might as well try it and see.

simonsayz1
01/05/2015, 03:52 PM
Nothing flashing, by TOD indicator do you mean the CHECK light or AUTO light? Maybe I'm missing something

MSHardeman
01/05/2015, 05:23 PM
I'm not in front of my VX dash right now, but I THINK that there is a TOD "idiot light" on the bottom of the gauge cluster where all of the other warning lights are. There is a long row of warning lights at the bottom of the gauge cluster and I think the TOD light is on the left somewhere. As others have said, if this light was on or flashing then the previous owner may have removed it, or it may just be burned out.

I have a spare gauge cluster at home that I can take a picture of if you can find the TOD warning light on yours.

simonsayz1
01/05/2015, 06:24 PM
Just checked owners manual, they don't show any TOD indicator light in gauge cluster Mshardeman- If you can check yours I would appreciate it.

tom4bren
01/06/2015, 09:23 AM
I'm gonna hafta say that yours is not on since you really can't miss it.

The word "CHECK" in red letters is below the TOD indicator lights. Mine starts flashing about 15 min after driving & the TOD quits working. It hasn't been enough of a problem for me yet to try to chase that gremlin down.

I took a pic with my cell this morning & tried to send it to my email so I could post it. Didn't work. I'll try again later.

simonsayz1
01/06/2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks Tom, Check light works but definitely not on or flashing

Pete

VXorado
01/06/2015, 11:10 AM
Perhaps a previous owner installed a TOD off switch? If the switch is installed with a resistor to ground, you will not have a check light nor will TOD operate, yet 4LO is unaffected. This circles around to Scott's original reply.

What did you find under the passenger seat other than the ECU?

simonsayz1
01/06/2015, 12:16 PM
VXorado-Just uploaded the 2 pics of the piece I found under the seat under Modifications. I don't think it has to do with the VX, but who knows. The TOD computer and wires seemed to be original.

tom4bren
01/07/2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks Tom, Check light works but definitely not on or flashing

Pete

OK ... but here's where it is located for future reference:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/TOD_check_lite.jpg

Not a bad pic for cell phone @ 6AM sitting in traffic on I95 ... if I do say so meself!!!:)

BTW: my work badge covers that annoying light quite nicely so that it doesn't send me into epileptic siezures whilst driving.

simonsayz1
01/07/2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks Tom.
My check light doesn't stay on but does light up with the rest of the service lights when I start up.

VXorado
01/07/2015, 10:27 AM
VXorado-Just uploaded the 2 pics of the piece I found under the seat under Modifications. I don't think it has to do with the VX, but who knows. The TOD computer and wires seemed to be original.

Yeah I don't think it's related.

simonsayz1
01/08/2015, 06:27 AM
Thx, didn't think so either but thought I would put it out there