PDA

View Full Version : Full time TOD switch

Otwobme
12/26/2014, 10:36 AM
Has anyone ever tried to do a full time tod switch. i have searched the site and found nothing.

JayDallas
12/26/2014, 12:45 PM
I have one, but it was done by the previous owner. It helps me save lots of gas!

Mile High VX
12/26/2014, 12:48 PM
Has anyone ever tried to do a full time tod switch. i have searched the site and found nothing.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Others may have done what you're wanting to do, but called it something different.

Hope you had a great Christmas Jake.

circmand
12/26/2014, 01:21 PM
I have one, but it was done by the previous owner. It helps me save lots of gas!

What is your mpg in the two different modes. I am surprised if it is a bunch since you still have the same aerodynamics and the weight which is 99% of the issue.

Cable Bob
12/26/2014, 01:42 PM
Gear Ratio in the differentials is a big factor 4.30, that is a low gear.

Mile High VX
12/26/2014, 01:45 PM
See if this helps:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=74

Triathlete
12/26/2014, 04:24 PM
Our tod is full time...unless your in 4lo.
Gas savings will not be that substantial...others have disconnected their tod and said if there was any savings it was minimal. You still have the same weight, same aerodynamics and as your tires roll your still turning the cv's, shafts, gears etc in the front end. I have manual hubs, drive daily with them unlocked and have not noticed much in the way of mpg changes...but it does save a little wear and tear on the front end components.
And if it is a ToD disconnect you are looking to do there are several threads on here about that. It has and can be done.

JayDallas
12/26/2014, 04:32 PM
Well, you guys make a good point, saving can be relative, my savings is between 2 - 3 mpg. To me that's makes a big since I can drive up to 150 miles a day.

Otwobme
12/26/2014, 09:24 PM
I want to set the tod up so I can turn it on full time 50/50.
As you know right now it's 85/15 until the front starts to slip then the tod kicks up and starts putting more power to the front. Like I said I would like the option to make it 50/50 all the time until I want to turn it off. The weight distribution, aerodynamics and fuel does not matter in this situation. It's just so I can turn on the tod to 50/50 anytime I desire

VXorado
12/26/2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=109&4-HI_conversion_for_TOD_equipped_Isuzus

:_beer:

Otwobme
12/27/2014, 12:57 AM
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=109&4-HI_conversion_for_TOD_equipped_Isuzus

:_beer:

This is perfect, thanks john. I'm going to do this mod. As well as a tod off switch.
Thanks again

VXorado
12/30/2014, 06:43 AM
No problem, I considered doing this years ago and never got around to it. Seems like a great mod with a very detailed how-to. Hopefully the ECU pins aren't different on the VX vs. 02 Trooper.

Audacity
12/31/2014, 03:57 PM
Does anyone have a clue as to how one would wire in a 4wd button out of a Trooper, into our VX? I have a transfer case that has the chain skipping teeth and im trying to prevent further wear and tear until the weather clears to swap the case. I understand I can disconnect it manually but I want this button just in case and so that I can put manual hubs on later.

Otwobme
12/31/2014, 05:44 PM
Does anyone have a clue as to how one would wire in a 4wd button out of a Trooper, into our VX? I have a transfer case that has the chain skipping teeth and im trying to prevent further wear and tear until the weather clears to swap the case. I understand I can disconnect it manually but I want this button just in case and so that I can put manual hubs on later.

Just to let you know I have two TOD's transfer case I will sell one to you. Just pm me

bartmanS4
12/31/2014, 06:55 PM

If you are just trying to force the TOD in 2wd mode you put a switch inline with the light blue wire at your TOD ECU. The switch brakes the connection and you have 2wd restore the connection and restart the VX and TOD is restored. You will get a fault flashing on the TOD display unless you do the resistor mod.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14787&highlight=tod+blue+wire

JoFotoz
01/01/2015, 11:59 AM
If simply disabling the TOD for a while is the real goal...

.... simply unplug it underneath the passenger seat.

Pull out both grey multi connectors .... and TOD is off.

Jo

Otwobme
01/01/2015, 05:08 PM
No I want to make it 50/50 ratio all time when I want it to. However I'm going to do a 5speed swap from a 98 trooper.

If you are just trying to force the TOD in 2wd mode you put a switch inline with the light blue wire at your TOD ECU. The switch brakes the connection and you have 2wd restore the connection and restart the VX and TOD is restored. You will get a fault flashing on the TOD display unless you do the resistor mod.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14787&highlight=tod+blue+wire