PDA

View Full Version : Spammers..

Moncha
12/11/2014, 07:50 AM
Due to the amount of spamming that is going on as of recent. I have been noticing the majority is coming from Asia. I have deleted and banned 11 accounts this week alone. Even though we have a great spam suppression system in place that keeps most out, there are some very persistent spammers that are getting through.

So, I'm thinking of putting admin moderation of new users in place so I can view their info prior to them having access to the forum. It's not very hard to recognize a non-legit account as a human but the automated system can be cheated as we have seen.

What do you all think, would it be worth it?

tom4bren
12/11/2014, 08:05 AM
Spammers are a PITA but we don't want to cause you any extra work. If it's easy then go fer it. If it's a burdon, then we can live with it.

That's my $.02 ... & I want change.

VX KAT
12/11/2014, 08:18 AM
yeah, I agree with Tom, don't know it's worth adding some work to you to screen their first posts. I've seen that done on other forums, but since we're such a "small" fourum, maybe just continue as is, and we'll pluck 'em out as they pop up.

(it always blows my mind when I go on other auto forums and there's like 400+ users online at that time)

Anita
12/11/2014, 08:20 AM
Whatever you feel is necessary, Scott.
I do admit I love deleting their rubbish though ....

JoFotoz
12/11/2014, 09:15 AM
Yup..Tom nailed it IMO

Spammers are a PITA but we don't want to cause you any extra work. If it's easy then go fer it. If it's a burdon, then we can live with it.

That's my $.02 ... & I want change.

:thanx: for all you do Boss Man :clap:

Jo

workmeistr
12/11/2014, 01:20 PM
Ditto the above, Scott. I support whatever course of action you choose.

Dumke
12/12/2014, 03:19 PM
First Sony now us??? EEEEK.....

I blame James Franco and Seth Rogan

Scott whatever works best or is easier for you. If you need some extra money thrown at it let us know.

Knigh7s
12/12/2014, 04:24 PM
Spammers are a huge pain... Dealing with that now with my Mediawiki install.

Scott, how about adding a few of us as Moderators to remove/flag posts and users which will alleviate all the work from just one person?

circmand
12/15/2014, 06:57 AM
require people to register to post (but anyone can read) Then when they register require that you or a forum master okay them or their 1st post. That way can keep them from posting when they give bogus email address or something