PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire

surfindonesia
11/28/2003, 05:18 PM
is there a way to remove the rear tire so that one can actually see out the rear window??

thx

Raque Thomas
11/28/2003, 08:54 PM
try Van eyes for a cheap fix, or a camera for a more expensive one. Personally, I think the van eyes is more practical, as I can look in my rear view mirror at any time and see what's behind - whereas with a camera, they normally only work when the car is in reverse. Some might say it doesn't matter what's behind you if you aren't backing up, but I like to know what's all around me at all times in case of emergency. Just my .02 Removing the rear hump isn't really practical, and would damage one of the signature design elements of the VX.

SGT.BATGUANO
11/28/2003, 11:58 PM
Unless you could mold a piece of smoked Lexan to replace the metal you remove, like on those Honda hatches.

surfindonesia
11/30/2003, 07:52 PM
no, i saw on a site how to remove the back tire so that your could have more rear viewing.....

thx for help anyways

Navigator
12/01/2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by surfindonesia
is there a way to remove the rear tire so that one can actually see out the rear window??

thx

There is ALLWAYS a way to do just about ANYTHING esspecially when you have loads of cash. Understand, simply removing the tire will not make the steel door behind it go away, in short, your visibility will be the same, however, it will help the fabrication shop of your choice get a clear idea of how to make a see through replacement door to your specification. Please post pics of the final product and :luck:

Dallas4u
12/01/2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by surfindonesia
no, i saw on a site how to remove the back tire so that your could have more rear viewing.....

thx for help anyways

I'm interested as to what site you are speaking of. I can't possibly think of a way to do it, unless it was a different vehicle with the tire mounted on the outside...

surfindonesia
12/01/2003, 05:55 PM
i found a website liek 3 weeks ago that talked about removing the steel frame

i will now search for hours because that is much more important than calculus hw!!

surfindonesia
12/02/2003, 07:40 PM
www.thecarplace.com

if u search for vehicross..

u will get a review by the site creator...

if u scroll down, there is the performance of the vx--- speeds etc..

right below that is the comfot section..

i think the 3rd paragraph it talks about the vx rear door disassembly

the only part that confuses me is that he never explains how to remove the steel frame that holds the tire in place......

anyone think this makes sense??

Raque Thomas
12/02/2003, 09:30 PM
The article was meant to tell Izusu a way to redesign the spare attachment to cure the problem, not for the owner. They were talking about a total redesign of the back of the car. Naturally, with production numbers as low as the VX, there was no room in the budget for such a major design overhaul. As someone said earlier, anything is possible if you have the cash - but this is a VERY expensive undertaking, and again, takes away from one of the key styling elements of the VX. Try the van eyes or camera and you'll achieve a MUCH cheaper fix!

Something that doesn't make sense to me though is that I read that the US didn't allow the back-up camera, so Isuzu couldn't include it. What about the Infinity FX? Is this a new change to the law??

Dallas4u
12/02/2003, 09:46 PM
The newest body style Infinity Q45 had a rear camera when it came out, what, 3-4 years ago? I remember... my father in law brought me with him to Texas Motor Speedway to test drive the new Infinity models against their rivals (rivals models from Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW). Everything about the Q45 amazed me... but the rear camera was amazing!

Tone
12/02/2003, 11:08 PM
surf, have you ever seen a VX from behind or inside? The door is metal - you can't just remove the tire and it's support and be able to see. Check out the galleries for lots of pics.

Van eyes is the economical way to see almost down to the ground behind the VX or a good camera and screen. I have mine aimed to see 3' behind and with a wide angle lens of 130 degrees, I can see the lane on either side of me.

Moncha
12/03/2003, 03:19 AM
The laws haven't changed, it's the technology. The VX's camera set up came with a CRT for viewing the backing up. The FX45 and others now use an LCD screen. As long as the LCD isn't used to play movies (OEM) they are legal. It's really all a matter of semantics in determining the letter of the law.

surfindonesia
12/03/2003, 04:11 PM
yes tone i have, that is why i couldnt understand what this guy was talking about....

i was confused...... thus i brought it up ;) ;py; ;pb;

as for the camera: that sounds interesting :rolleyes:

Tone
12/04/2003, 08:03 AM
I think that article was talking about the metal spare tire carrier on the Amigo which blocks rear view as much or more than ours. Video camera is the way to go - I run with mine always on and can see to within 3 feet of the bumper and the lanes to either side of me. I back into most parking spaces or clear the area myself before backing.

surfindonesia
12/04/2003, 03:34 PM
k