PDA

View Full Version : Mode Selector Switch & Power Switch

ahdoman
11/19/2014, 09:13 PM
Hey all,
So I've got a bit of random gear "clunking" occurring. I'm going to look into the Mode Selector Switch being the probable culprit. But, I've noticed that it happens much more frequently when I have the "Power" button engaged. It was happening as I was commuting around town today, I turned the power switch off and it went away. Any idea why these would be related? I put my code reader on and it doesn't see any codes.

Y33TREKker
11/20/2014, 03:39 AM
Running in Power mode changes the shift points in the transmission to a set of more aggressive program points at higher RPM's, so any clunking you were experiencing in non-Power mode would just be more pronounced.

ahdoman
11/20/2014, 07:43 AM
That's the weird thing; I don't experience any of the clunking in non-power mode. It's only when the power mode is engaged.

I was thinking that maybe the power mode was possibly switching on and off due to a bad contact but the power light in the dash remains constant. Looking at the schematic it looks like the power switch is the only place where I could get a failing contact so I'll see about trying to clean it but if it was bad wouldn't the light on the dash react as well?

Triathlete
11/20/2014, 08:55 AM
Are you sure the clunk is coming from the trans? Possibly the drive shaft, ujoints....have you lubed the zerk fittings (there are 3)? This has been a known "clunk" cause in the past...plus it is cheap and easy before diving into other possibilities.

LittleBeast
11/20/2014, 10:38 AM
Never heard of power switch having anything to do with clunking. Normally this is driveline issues, torque converter, or tranny issue.

SilverBullet75
11/20/2014, 11:44 AM
If it's the mode selector switch, it'll frequently be combined with "dancing" gear lights on the dash when you move the gear selector through the gears.

ahdoman
11/20/2014, 10:34 PM
I haven't yet greased the zerk fittings. I was planning on doing that this weekend along with changing the filter and trans oil.

No dancing gear lights on the dash. The Mode Selector Switches have gotten expensive!