PDA

View Full Version : HID Conversion Kit

Medman
11/27/2003, 04:17 AM
Does anybody out there have the HID Conversion Kit from "HID's For Less"? Is it really worth the $600? I have some pretty nice plasma white bulbs that work great, but would consider dropping the loot if the difference was significant. Any input?

Tone
11/27/2003, 08:36 AM
I have a kit on order from a company I met with at SEMA - retail on their kit is $450 and includes everything needed. Tests data shows more output but not sure about the leakage or glare on OUR H4 enclosures. Will post results as soon as the kit is here and installed. I have heard pro and mostly con about the upgrades but mostly from people who have NOT even done the conversion.

Hotsauce
11/27/2003, 09:11 AM
I have done the conversion. I have a generic H4 hi/low kit that I got on eBay. High BTW is unnecessary with HID unless you need to show hi/low to pass inspection.

You may have to play with the shade that goes around the capsule to get the pattern right. the HID capsule makes light front to back, and a H4 bulb makes light left to right if you look at the filiment VS the path of the arc.

What this does is throw a fair amount of light above the low beam cutoff line, some of it as yellow. I had to enlarge the mask some, and play with shims betweel the HID insert and the reflector housing.

It is a really worthwhile upgrade, but I think in hindsight that the HID auxillary lights I added to the lightbar were a better investment of time and money.

If you can't throw a clean low beam pattern you will have to aim the lights very low or constantly get flashed by other drivers, and risk getting a ticket for failure to dim lights. HID conversions are already somewhat of a gray area as far as legality, you don't want to attract unwanted attention.

John C.

WyrreJ
11/27/2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Hotsauce If you can't throw a clean low beam pattern you will have to aim the lights very low or constantly get flashed by other drivers, and risk getting a ticket for failure to dim lights. Not to mention possibly end up causing an accident...