PDA

View Full Version : Giving in to VX

ToneD83
11/12/2014, 06:29 AM
Hello all!

After 10 years of telling myself no with a variety of likely silly reasons like "oh well it's 300 miles away" , there is a VX for sale 2 miles from my house at a dealer. I already put 100 bucks down to put it on hold for this weekend because they have silly hours.

I don't want to ask anyone to talk me out of it...I just don't see that happening. But do tell, what should I get immediately serviced upon purchase? It has 115k (2001 model) miles on it, timing belt, pully, water pump etc. Is already planned. Any common frame rot areas I may need checked? Transmission flush? Gaskets?

It looks amazing and they only want 5k bucks. I was tossing around the idea of a wrangler because we have particularly bad winters here, and my other car is a cayman. Apparently wranglers are horrible in ice and snow on roads, how silly. Obviously I prefer sportier feel too, which that absolutely did not have.

Bottom line is, what are common things that would leave me stranded? At that mileage/age that aren't immediately visible?

Mile High VX
11/12/2014, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the addiction...you're going to love your VX.

From your questions above you've got a good plan. DO NOT flush your transmission. Many members have had transmission failure after doing this if it has not been normal maintenance. Just drain, change the filter, and replace the fluid with a good synthetic. Search the forum for the instructions on doing this correctly. The VX uses a sealed system and it's different than most other vehicles to make sure you get the right amount of fluid back in.

Check the CV joints and look for torn boots. This is fairly common in vehicles with this mileage. My 2001 has the same mileage and I just had my first torn boot last month.

I would do a complete fluids change and go with all synthetics. Also lube the driveshaft in the three zerks, two at the U-joints and one on the shaft itself.

That's my 2 cents...I'm sure others will add theirs as well.

ToneD83
11/12/2014, 07:53 AM
Great, didn't even think about the CV's. So far I should be able to do all of this myself besides the timing belt I assume.

Anything with the TOD system or suspension?

As far as bigger ticket items, is there a part shortage for the suspension? It seems kind of unique. Is it possible to change it out if something goes wrong? I am guessing the OEM parts would be hard to come by. I'm not so concerned about an engine swap, I'm sure there are plenty of Isuzu engines that will bolt right in. I don't see myself ever getting rid of it, but I don't want a giant paperweight either.

Mile High VX
11/12/2014, 08:06 AM
Other than OEM shocks being expensive (new are about $600 each) or a good motocross shop can rebuild the OEMs (about $900 for the set here in the Denver area). Most suspension parts are still available, but you may have to wait for some of them to come over from Japan. Isuzuparts.com has worked well for me in the past.

Some common issues are ABS not working (module can be rebuilt), windows not working well (lots of fix ideas on the forum).

Several good write-ups on the timing belt change on the forum. If your fairly good with mechanics you can do this yourself if you have the time.

TOD should be fine as long as the CHECK light is not on and it functions well when you test drive it.

ToneD83
11/12/2014, 08:34 AM
Fair enough. A little pricey but as long as it's doable, I'm happy. It doesn't sound to be something that is a common issue, so I'll dismiss it. I find so many more people happy about their VX than people that regret getting one.

I've always had it pounded into my head that the VX cannot be seen as a daily driver, it's not reliable, and will be difficult and expensive to maintain. But I heard the same of Porsche, had to weed through all the crybabies and realize if you search for problems it MIGHT have, you'll find a lot of people online to vent. Now when I research, if praise > complaint, it must really be worth getting into. I can't wait to pick this thing up Saturday.

MSHardeman
11/12/2014, 09:00 AM
Sounds like you have most of your bases covered. If you have some mechanical knowledge you can definitely do the timing belt change yourself. A member here (nfpgasmask) did an excellent write up, with pictures, on how to replace your timing belt. I used it when I did mine and everything went off without a hitch. It's a full weekends worth of work (at least it was for me), but nothing is too crazy. http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=63

One thing that no one has mentioned yet, unless I missed it, is to check your oil often when you first start driving the VX. Some of them burn a ton of oil and others don't burn any. Mine burned about 3/4 of a quart of oil every 350 miles for over 100,000 miles until I had to replace the engine due to a burnt valve in cylinder three (NOT due to lack of oil). A few VX's have over 200,000 miles so these things are fairly reliable given that they get minor regular maintenance.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my VX and used it as a daily driver for eight years. I was lucky enough to recently retire her to "recreational" status, but she's still going strong at 165,000 miles. They are GREAT in the snow so I know you're going to enjoy it this winter.

Mile High VX
11/12/2014, 09:49 AM
One thing that no one has mentioned yet, unless I missed it, is to check your oil often when you first start driving the VX. Some of them burn a ton of oil and others don't burn any. Mine burned about 3/4 of a quart of oil every 350 miles for over 100,000 miles until I had to replace the engine due to a burnt valve in cylinder three (NOT due to lack of oil). A few VX's have over 200,000 miles so these things are fairly reliable given that they get minor regular maintenance.

Good catch on the oil issue. It varies alot by vehicle so check it often until you get a feel for yours. I use about a quart every thousand miles which, believe it or not, is the factory spec.

I bought mine 6 years ago with 69K on the clock and now have 116K. Been my daily drive since I bought it and I have had zero major issues, it's never let me down, and I still love it!

I guess the only other thing would be you need to be patient with all of the people who will have questions about your unique ride. You'll get lots of random people wanting to talk to you...:smilewink:bgwb:

tom4bren
11/12/2014, 09:58 AM
Grats on the VX.

You're gonna love it.

I don't have anything to add till you get your hands on it other than that there is a metal tube bumper behind the front cladding that does have a tendacy to rust ... & is impossible to replace with OEM. It's not critical to check it right away but just keep in mind that if yours needs replacing, you'll have to get one made.

Triathlete
11/12/2014, 09:59 AM
Also, don't expect great gas mileage. Most get 15-18mpg on occasion if the stars, planet and moon are aligned just right you may see 20 :)

VX KAT
11/12/2014, 10:26 AM
Here's a really detailed questionnaire several of us put together a while back to help potential buyers. It covers some very VX specific isssues.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=252124&postcount=24

evillecutter
11/12/2014, 12:19 PM
vx is AWESOME in the snow - just my luck i sell mine right before the supposed worst winter in history

Mile High VX
11/12/2014, 12:36 PM
vx is AWESOME in the snow - just my luck i sell mine right before the supposed worst winter in history

Had mine out in the snow for the first time since the new Wranglers were put on...WoW what a difference from my Yoko's.

evillecutter
11/13/2014, 06:41 AM
Had mine out in the snow for the first time since the new Wranglers were put on...WoW what a difference from my Yoko's.

i had falcon high performance street tires and it still went through about a foot of snow with no problem whatsoever :smilegray - even pulled a few of my neighbors out of ditches last year - i can imagine with some meat on on the wheels the vx is unstoppable - probably why the russians love them so much

mattferguson14
11/13/2014, 08:56 AM
Also, don't expect great gas mileage. Most get 15-18mpg on occasion if the stars, planet and moon are aligned just right you may see 20 :)

I second the gas mileage comment. While mine does have oversized tires, an aftermarket intake and exhaust, a 4 inch lift, and a roof rack (which is not helping me aerodynamically), the fuel economy is startlingly horrible. I'm averaging around 10 miles per gallon around town.. I also have a hard time keeping my foot out of it.. :_steering Even so, I love my VX. I've had it a little over a month and have decided it is my favorite car I've ever owned. It's just plain cool and unique. I feel privileged driving it around.