PDA

View Full Version : Lug Lock replacement?

WormGod
11/26/2003, 11:41 AM
I am at work, so I cant make any calls yet, but it SEEMS as though the shop I had install my wheels and tires (a trusted shop too!), lost my lug adapter. They say they put it in my console OR glovebox, I say I never saw one, ever, in my VX. To me, if they say they put it here "OR" here, then they arent sure they even put it in there. Anyways, without finger pointing anymore, I need to find out HOW to get a new one.

First off, I am sure there is a code for the adapter. Problem is, most adapters come with a sticker you can put somewhere hidden, in case you ever need to get another one. Well, Like I said, I never saw the adapter, so I never saw a sticker either. I don't know if calling the wheel vendor will do much good without the code.

So, if anyone has ever been through this sort of thing, please fill me in on what you did. Do remember, my car is sitting in a body shop on a mangled wheel right now, so it isnt like it can be driven somewhere. :(

Ah, the bad luck just goes on and on and on and on and.......

Apostle
11/26/2003, 11:49 AM
Worm, someone just went through this exact thing, sue maybe??

anyhoo, search for that post and see what she did.

i still have mine, ill see if there is a sticker and get back to you. see if there is some sort of xref on the sticker and the car

EDIT : here it is, was leah

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2575&highlight=wheel+locks

WormGod
11/26/2003, 12:51 PM
Ya, problem is, my wheels and locks are all aftermarket. I just got off the phone with the vendor, and they said that without the code, they could do NOTHING. They have no shops in my state, otherwise they would send a tech out with keys to remove them for me.

The shop owner explained to me that he would just wrench them off, but the lugs are inset into the wheel. So, my body and mechanical work is at a total stndstill until they can remove this mangled wheel and get the new one on to move it around.

Not being able to actually TAKE the vehicle somewhere to have it removed is the problem here. I serisously am wondering if my luck can get any worse this week.

Navigator
11/26/2003, 01:28 PM
... GT, go to your local SALVO Auto parts store and get a universal wheel lock removal tool. Heck, they have every tool and part imaginable and if it's not stocked, they'll order it :luck:

Apostle
11/26/2003, 01:47 PM
yeah, your screwed if aftermarket

j/k

what you need is that socket with all the little bearings in it

seen on tv, will fit any bolt/lug/screw etc.

and i think they sell them at walmart now, possibly home depot

thats what i would look into if i were you

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/26/2003, 03:25 PM
I had a '78 Chevy Monza "Spyder" with 350 V8 4bbl. carb and aftermarket American Racing wheels with aftermarket wheel locks and in my haste one day I left the wheel lock on and drove off! When I finally remembered what I did it was a goner! I called a local tire place and they laughed and said just bring it in and they'll remove all of them. They took all of them off in a few minutes and I replaced them with standard lugs.

I know you can't take your VX to the tire place...but perhaps you could work something out?

Raque Thomas
11/26/2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Apostle
yeah, your screwed if aftermarket

j/k

what you need is that socket with all the little bearings in it

seen on tv, will fit any bolt/lug/screw etc.

and i think they sell them at walmart now, possibly home depot

thats what i would look into if i were you

Gary, save your money on the socket - I have one, so I decided to try it out - it's a no go! Sounds like you may have to have it towed to a tire place for repair :(

WormGod
11/28/2003, 08:44 AM
A few new options popped up, one of which is most promising. The wheel shop that mounted the tires and wheels in the first place, seems to be taking responsibility for the lost key and are working with me on this. They got the number of the body shop to work directly with them, and it turns out they actually know each other, so that's also a plus. They have guys tearing down their tool boxes looking for ANY misplaced lug keys to turn over to them. If that fails, they said they would remedy the situation however they had to, to "compensate for the inconvenience". I am at least glad to see they are working with me.

Also, I found a lug lock in MY tool chest at home from years ago on my Amigo. I figure, what the heck. May as well TRY. So, I am gonna run it by the body shop and keep my fingers crossed that on some wing of a God, that it will just happen to fit. Even a close fit, just enough to get them off so they can be replaced with new ones.

So yes, the battle continues. It is stressing me out at this point. I think I will be hanging my heavy bag back up in the garage today to get some of this out. ;)

Apostle
11/28/2003, 08:55 AM
see, its shops like that that i recomend to my friends. If they take care of me, ill send as much business their way as possible

glad to hear its getting taken care of

WormGod
12/01/2003, 11:55 AM
Finally, a little luck has come home!

I sent the STOCK key to the shop for them to give it that 1 in 3000 try. The owner called me today and said it worked! It isnt a perfect fit, but it was good enough to get the locks off. Pure, total luck! He had tried a universal Friday but it wouldnt work since the lugs are inset into the wheel and the universal socket was too wide to get in there.

So, on with the repairs. That little problem only set me back on repairs by 5 days. :( Now I have to think about getting some new wheel locks. *sigh*