PDA

View Full Version : ### Stop Press #### Red Rock Lodge Closes !!!!

JoFotoz
11/02/2014, 01:25 PM
TRAGIC NEWS FOR MOAB-MOB :eek:

Just got a call from Andy at Red Rock Moab.

CLOSING / Demolition is happening......
.....start date is DECEMBER 15th THIS YEAR :(

It will be shut/done/scraped to the ground, and current plans indicate it
may re-surface as...... A HILTON !!

So..obviously not 'our' kind of place.

So, this means we are homeless for Moab 2015 :thumbdn::_mecker::mad:

=========

Finding an alternative to the Red rock / stoop set up in Moab is gonna be VERY difficult.
Several of us spent half a day going to other hotels etc in Moab last year ...
....and were met with little ( if any!!) enthusiasm from any of them, to host our group.
They dont need us, they have bookings, discount is out of the question.

So... Maybe this is a good time to consider a whole new venue?

Thoughts.... ?????

:_brickwal

Jo

Gizmo42
11/02/2014, 01:32 PM
Some of you are homeless. Us campers have no problem. Sucks its closing though.

As for another venue, its REALLY difficult to find another area with so much to do within short distances.

JoFotoz
11/02/2014, 03:38 PM
Just got an e-mail from Andy at Red Rock, with alternative accom.
Anyone going to Moab soon??.. and can take a look at these??
Might be worth a try!!

+++++++++++

We regret to inform you that the Red Rock Lodge in Moab, Utah, will not be open for the 2015 season. Plans for the new facility have finally been set in motion and we will be closing our doors November 30th, 2014. The owners have been planning on building a new facility on this property for years now, so I’m sure many of you who will read this will already be aware that it was going to happen eventually.

In an attempt to help you find new accommodations, I have compiled a list of fairly comparable lodging facilities and their phone numbers, and I have attempted to organize them based on specific needs.

Proximity to the park where marathon ends and car show is held:

BOWEN MOTEL
169 N Main St
bowenmotel.com

$-$$
800-874-5439
435-259-7132

~~~~~

RIVER CANYON LODGE
71 West 200 North
rivercanyonlodge.com

$-$$$
866-486-6738
435-259-8838

~~~~~~~~~~~

RODEWAY LANDMARK INN & SUITES
168 N Main St
moabrodeway.com

$-$$
800-228-2000
435-259-6147

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RIVERSIDE INN
988 N Main St
moab-utah.com/riversideinn
$-$$
435-259-8848

~~~~~~~~~

Rooms facing parking lot/spaces:

Bowen

Rodeway

RUSTIC INN
120 East 100 South
moabrusticinn.com

$-$$
435-259-6177

ADVENTURE INN MOAB
512 N Main St
adventureinnmoab.com

$-$$
866-662-2466
435-259-6122

APACHE MOTEL
166 South 400 East
apachemotelinmoab.com

$-$$
800-228-6882
435-259-5727

BIG HORN LODGE
550 S Main St
moabbighorn.com

$-$$
800-325-6171
435-259-6171

INCA INN
570 N Main St
incainn.com

$-$$
866-462-2466
435-259-7261

RED STONE INN
535 S Main St
moabredstone.com

$-$$
800-772-1972
435-259-3500

Again we apologize for the inconvenience this causes. Keep an eye out for the new facility when it is finished. A name/brand has not been chosen for it yet, but the plan is to be open for the 2016 season.

Regards

Red Rock Lodge
=======================

FlyingV77
11/02/2014, 05:39 PM
We could do a tour of some of the best and must treacherous offroading in Dallas. Aka our ****ty ghetto alleys!

VX crazy
11/02/2014, 07:08 PM
What about this place, been there a couple of times........to the winery....rooms are suites and 88$ so far...

http://www.redcliffslodge.com/accommodations

JoFotoz
11/02/2014, 07:45 PM
Nice place....BUT!

The $88 is off season.... like now.

May 2015 :-

May 2015
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat

$239.95 -----> the entire month !

Jo

VX crazy
11/02/2014, 07:58 PM
Nice place....BUT!

The $88 is off season.... like now.

May 2015 :-

May 2015
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat

$239.95 -----> the entire month !

Jo

I thought that was for a cabin, when I selected suite with kitchenette there were 4 days that were 88$, the rest were like $129

JoFotoz
11/02/2014, 08:06 PM
Try it again...

I thought that was for a cabin, when I selected suite with kitchenette there were 4 days that were 88$, the rest were like $129

...but change booking month to May 2015.

I get the $239 price right through the month for suites
But maybe I'm getting it wrong!

jo

VXorado
11/03/2014, 06:17 AM
That's bad news. :noo:

I should be in Moab this upcoming weekend (maybe with the VX :_confused). I can scope out a few of the alternatives but I don't know if I'll have time for the entire list. Price & location will both be factors...

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 06:34 AM
The Apache always looked appealing, but I suspect having residential across the street would shut down the late night shenanigans.

What about that motel by the Moab Diner? Don't remember the name but it is on a cul de sac away from residential.

Anywhere we go in Moab is going to be more expensive, RRL was about the cheapest place in town.

As far as alternative venues, places like Ouray or Telluride are options. I was there in August. They are even more crowded than Moab though, and I see zero shot at finding a RRL-equivalent in town (though I haven't looked). I was actually impressed with the Ouray KOA. Nice, treed setting, off the highway, and they have a bunch of cabins, both with and without bathrooms.

And of course there are a ton of mountain trails in the area, including famous trails like Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, etc., although the passes will be snowed-in in May, the mountains would be better in July-Sept.

ZEUS
11/03/2014, 08:03 AM
It would be tough to replace Moab as a venue, IMO. Just as tough to replace Tha Stoop. My home away from home is on wheels but RRL was always headquarters... it's a bummer.

MSHardeman
11/03/2014, 09:21 AM
I'm only 3 1/2 hours away, and I might be able to convince the gf to make a weekend trip out to Moab. We still need to get our t-shirts from this year so that might be an excuse to head over there. Maybe stay at the Red Rock before it closes. :( We would probably go later this month so if anyone in the Colorado/ Utah area wants to get a little mini meet/ say goodbye to the Red Rock trip together let me know.

nfpgasmask
11/03/2014, 12:28 PM
All ya'll need to drop a pair and camp at the Portal. :) :)

Bart

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 01:14 PM
A pair of what, Class A motorhomes?

Despite what I said above, I think we should consider the Redstone Inn. I remember looking at it and thinking that it is sorta RRL-like in the layout, the overhang, etc. And the prices aren't bad, I just checked for the ZuZoo week and it is showing $100-105/night. Pet-friendly, too.

The Bighorn is across the street too if the Redstone fills up.

JoFotoz
11/03/2014, 01:19 PM
Just checked availability ...

Despite what I said above, I think we should consider the Redstone Inn. I remember looking at it and thinking that it is sorta RRL-like in the layout, the overhang, etc. And the prices aren't bad, I just checked for the ZuZoo week and it is showing $100-105/night. Pet-friendly, too.

The Bighorn is across the street too if the Redstone fills up.

...ALL SOLD OUT.

This one of the ones we went to talk too.
No discount.. obviously they dont need to!!

Silver Sage has 4 rooms right now..and going fast.

jo

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 01:31 PM
Really? The online reservation system I checked said there were some available that week. Maybe they just recognized your voice... :)

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 01:38 PM
The Virginian is the one I was trying to think of by the Moab Diner. Might be worth a look.

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 01:49 PM
We could also look at the Lazy Lizard Hostel. They have cabins, like many of the campgrounds do, but they also have group houses that can be rented, for example the "Watermelon House" is $280/night and has 8 bedrooms.

"We are neither a fancy bed and breakfast nor an impersonal motel, just a clean comfortable, friendly environment where your group can be alone, all together in one place, and not spend a lot of money. We have provided television, and laundry facilities."

http://www.lazylizardhostel.com/index.php

MSHardeman
11/03/2014, 02:13 PM
Swede, The Lazy Lizard Hostel could be an interesting solution. We could, basically, rent out the whole place if it was all available when we want to go.

nfpgasmask
11/03/2014, 02:16 PM
I was kidding of course, definitely sucky news....but I would still like to see Jo camp. :rotate:

Bart

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 02:24 PM
Swede, The Lazy Lizard Hostel could be an interesting solution. We could, basically, rent out the whole place if it was all available when we want to go.
Yeah, I like it. It's nothing fancy - most of the negative reviews are from people who expected something other than was promised. I would be happy in a cabin or sharing a house.

Wonder if they are booked for May yet, their website says they don't take reservations more than 6 months in advance.

JoFotoz
11/03/2014, 02:30 PM
DUDE..... :eek:

I was kidding of course, definitely sucky news....but I would still like to see Jo camp. :rotate:

Bart

I'm a camper... love it.
But then again...the Stoop was easy!

Jo

JoFotoz
11/03/2014, 02:43 PM
Lazy Liazard DOES look interesting for sure.

Just talked to a guy called Brett there...

No bookings accepted for May 2015 UNTIL January.. SWEET ... :thumbup:

There is room for CAMPERS in garden area of "Water Melon House"
..and 5th wheel/Rv space too. EXCELLENT .... :thumbup:

===

Sounds like it could be awesome..with everyone ( campers/glampers/etc)..
...all in same place.

Who can check it out..in person !!

Jo

ZEUS
11/03/2014, 02:52 PM
All ya'll need to drop a pair and camp at the Portal. :) :)

Bart
The Portal is not like it once was, Bart.
Besides, I sleep where I pass out! :p

nfpgasmask
11/03/2014, 02:54 PM
The Portal is not like it once was, Bart.

Oh really, what happened there?

In that case, some serious Utah back country camping would be awesome!

Bart

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 02:59 PM
Portal went 'condo'...you can buy a concrete slab to park your Class A motorhome (hence my comment above) for like $80K (at least that's what they were going for before the Great Recession)...lotsa amenities, fancy clubhouse, pool etc. No room for scruffy wheeling types.

nfpgasmask
11/03/2014, 03:00 PM
Well that sucks.

Bart

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 03:04 PM
Lazy Lizard DOES look interesting for sure.

Just talked to a guy called Brett there...

No bookings accepted for May 2015 UNTIL January.. SWEET ... :thumbup:

There is room for CAMPERS in garden area of "Water Melon House"
..and 5th wheel/Rv space too. EXCELLENT .... :thumbup:

===

Sounds like it could be awesome..with everyone ( campers/glampers/etc)..
...all in same place.

Only negative I see is it isn't walking distance to downtown. But other than that, I think it could be ideal for our little coven.

ZEUS
11/03/2014, 03:09 PM
I just read a bunch of reviews for the Lizard... I got the feeling you should bring your own bedding, lock up your stuff, expect to hear every conversation in rooms next to yours, & expect to meet, hang out with, & share your booze with some "different" perhaps "unsavory" types. Taking over the whole joint would be the way to go!

MSHardeman
11/03/2014, 03:14 PM
Jo, like I said before, I'm probably the closest one of us to Moab and could motor out there for a weekend sometime soon. I would be happy to check out the Lazy Lizard and talk up our little group to see if we could get the place for a week.

Not being able to walk to town IS a negative, but I don't think that it's a deal breaker. With a full kitchen and maybe some BBQ area's we could do a few pot luck dinners during the week to both save money and have a little more bonding time with the fam.

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 03:19 PM
I just read a bunch of reviews for the Lizard... I got the feeling you should bring your own bedding, lock up your stuff, expect to hear every conversation in rooms next to yours, & expect to meet, hang out with, & share your booze with some "different" perhaps "unsavory" types. Taking over the whole joint would be the way to go!
I think that is more the case for the dorms and private rooms. The cabins and houses are separate.

Besides, we ain't eggzactly the quietest crowd around.

Frankly, from what I have been reading the vibe of the place is right up our alley. There might be a few that prefer plusher accommodations, but they are free to "commute" to the Stoop South for socializing.

ZEUS
11/03/2014, 03:20 PM
Courtyard!
http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/HhLGZ8gu-kW07h1fBaBh3w/l.jpg

JoFotoz
11/03/2014, 03:22 PM
Yup mark....the Pros & Cons seem to balance...
..or maybe even favor it.

I think a place that everyone can stay, from hotel'ers to campers...
..is a big plus :thumbup:

Cooking & BBQ is a big plus too...
..and like you say..Pot Lucks etc would be great.

Most of the others I've tried are all booked...
..and those with space are either VERY expensive..or only have 3-4 rooms.

So yea..mount up yer trusty stead.. and check it out ...

..that would be awesome :thumbup:

jo

ZEUS
11/03/2014, 03:30 PM
I think that is more the case for the dorms and private rooms. The cabins and houses are separate.

Besides, we ain't eggzactly the quietest crowd around.
Yeah, the cabins don't look too bad at all! Personally, I am down for giving it a shot!

ZEUS
11/03/2014, 03:33 PM
Here is another shot of the courtyard area:
http://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/GhFGKJuxFE4e92Sg9qiXOQ/l.jpg

MSHardeman
11/03/2014, 03:43 PM
So yea..mount up yer trusty stead.. and check it out ...

..that would be awesome :thumbup:

Jo, are you talking about Vanessa or the VX? :laughing:

I'm glad that she's not on this site because I might be sleeping on the couch after that comment.

JoFotoz
11/03/2014, 03:45 PM
:eek:.....

Jo, are you talking about Vanessa or the VX? :laughing:

I'm glad that she's not on this site because I might be sleeping on the couch after that comment.

Other than my spelling of (stead) STEED...suxz..

...I have no comment :whiteflag:

jo

BigSwede
11/03/2014, 03:48 PM
From a review:

"The Lazy Lizard is definitely the cheap slut of Moab accommodations, and like a cheap slut, it's cheap, friendly, fun, and on the grungy side. "

Sounds perfect.

VX crazy
11/03/2014, 05:29 PM
It's times like this I wish I had a travel trailer!

tjh
11/03/2014, 05:30 PM
Glamping Y'all ! http://www.moabundercanvas.com/glamping.html#anchor_172 also could look @ stuff like this http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/utah/moab and http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/utah/moab/r7686

JoFotoz
11/04/2014, 08:42 AM
:clap:

From a review:

"The Lazy Lizard is definitely the cheap slut of Moab accommodations, and like a cheap slut, it's cheap, friendly, fun, and on the grungy side. "

Sounds perfect.

Indeed, the perfect endorsement !!

:_beer:

jo

ZEUS
11/04/2014, 12:47 PM
I found the http://moabretreathouse.com/ on Google Earth (shut up, Ldub) & I just talked to one of the owners... she is really nice & so is the house!

It is about 1/3 mile away from the Lazy Lizard but across the highway. I thought maybe we could take over the entire duplex (& garage) at a discount. Anyway, the entire duplex can sleep about 20 people for around $650 a night (@ four nights+)... yeah, $33 a person! The only issue is parking... they can only allow up to perhaps 10 vehicles. So a Stoop replacement it is not. If the LL is too grungy for you, this may be a nice option.

VXorado
11/04/2014, 12:55 PM
I found the http://moabretreathouse.com/ on Google Earth (shut up, Ldub) & I just talked to one of the owners... she is really nice & so is the house!

It is about 1/3 mile away from the Lazy Lizard but across the highway. I thought maybe we could take over the entire duplex (& garage) at a discount. Anyway, the entire duplex can sleep about 20 people for around $650 a night (@ four nights+)... yeah, $33 a person! The only issue is parking... they can only allow up to perhaps 10 vehicles. So a Stoop replacement it is not. If the LL is too grungy for you, this may be a nice option.

Would be cool renting a big house like this one... parking would be a big problem though.

VXorado
11/04/2014, 01:02 PM
That's bad news. :noo:

I should be in Moab this upcoming weekend (maybe with the VX :_confused). I can scope out a few of the alternatives but I don't know if I'll have time for the entire list. Price & location will both be factors...

Jo, like I said before, I'm probably the closest one of us to Moab and could motor out there for a weekend sometime soon. I would be happy to check out the Lazy Lizard and talk up our little group to see if we could get the place for a week.

Not being able to walk to town IS a negative, but I don't think that it's a deal breaker. With a full kitchen and maybe some BBQ area's we could do a few pot luck dinners during the week to both save money and have a little more bonding time with the fam.

Mark, I'm planning to be in the Moab area this weekend. I'm more than happy to check out a few spots, take pics and ask questions. Not that I want to take away a good excuse for you take a trip, I'm interested to see the options myself... :thumbup:

MSHardeman
11/04/2014, 01:21 PM
Jon, I can't make it over there this weekend, but I'm trying to convince Vanessa to go before the Red Rock closes so we'll have to get out there in the next couple of weeks. I would say go ahead and take a look at the Lazy Lizard (pics, info, etc.) and I will do the same. Maybe if we show enough interest they will let us book it earlier than the six months out that they quoted Jo.

VXorado
11/04/2014, 02:23 PM
Jon, I can't make it over there this weekend, but I'm trying to convince Vanessa to go before the Red Rock closes so we'll have to get out there in the next couple of weeks. I would say go ahead and take a look at the Lazy Lizard (pics, info, etc.) and I will do the same. Maybe if we show enough interest they will let us book it earlier than the six months out that they quoted Jo.

Sounds like a plan... I'm thinking about a night at Red Rocks too. The rates are now only around $40/night. :thumbup:

Prepare to be taken over Lazy Lizard. :naughty:

Gizmo42
11/04/2014, 04:22 PM
Lazy Lizard works even better for those of us who may be camping at Pack Creek again (depends how much room there is for tents at LL). Its much closer than RRL.

Some of us take up more room than others
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XIV%202011/IMG_0266.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20XIV%202011/IMG_0269.jpg

bertomatic
11/10/2014, 03:39 PM
wherever ya'll decide (lizard) count me in.

RickOKC
11/11/2014, 08:19 PM
Awww. Thread makes me sad. :_crying:

I'm late to the party, but just wanted to mention that I stayed at Bowen the first year I went. It's just around the corner from Red Rock, but I'd describe it as a typical Holiday-Inn-type hotel that could be plunked down in the middle of any city in the U.S. I think it would be much too "typical / our patrons expect a quiet evening" for us. Expect complaints & lots of 'em.

VXorado
11/12/2014, 02:14 PM
I checked out the Lazy Lizard this last weekend. It’s an interesting option to say the least. The only viable option is sharing a house which has separate rooms although most aspects are communal. Below is a list of pro & cons that I took from the visit at the Lizard.

PROS:
Cheapest option for a large group.
House would be great for late night shenanigans
Possible camping in back
6-8 parking spots for Vehcri', large street for more vehicles.
I doubt noise from our rowdy group will be an issue
Kitchen, porch & washer/dryer!

CONS:
Not too secure- I wouldn't leave anything valuable in the bedrooms
Rooms all sleep more than one and most don't have a bathroom
You'll be driving into town
Across the highway from the main Lazy Lizard building
Not too clean
I couldn't check out the lower level of the house.

I believe there were 13 beds but again it's communal so there were 2-3 beds per room and a couple beds in the family room. For the 13 beds there were 2.5 bathrooms. I couldn’t see the downstairs of the house but expect it to be the similar since it's used as a separate rental.

I think this place would work for some but be MUCH less accommodating than the stoop for most. I personally would hang out at the house, have a great time and leave for a comfy hotel or even a tent.

If interested, the office clerk recommended that the interested party email them so the owner can review the request.

Sorry for the poor pic quality. :noo:

LAZY LIZARD

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_132557_zpsdqctgxkq.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_132557_zpsdqctgxkq.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_133522_zpsejdtqofm.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_133522_zpsejdtqofm.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_133534_zpslsrzsb2b.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_133534_zpslsrzsb2b.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_133939_zpsgd6tqhpz.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_133939_zpsgd6tqhpz.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_133947_zpshdzgzvcg.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_133947_zpshdzgzvcg.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_133955_zpsf87bhbjd.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_133955_zpsf87bhbjd.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134010_zpsturddwqc.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134010_zpsturddwqc.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134032_zpsyc3exxuc.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134032_zpsyc3exxuc.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134042_zpsr8opo5tm.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134042_zpsr8opo5tm.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134104_zpszvogz6lk.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134104_zpszvogz6lk.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134130_zpsgtuq0g1k.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134130_zpsgtuq0g1k.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134208_zps561yfu9t.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134208_zps561yfu9t.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134350_zps3hbeqled.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134350_zps3hbeqled.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134406_zps9t2tc7vc.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134406_zps9t2tc7vc.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141109_134414_zpsdlo1qage.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141109_134414_zpsdlo1qage.jpg.html)

VXorado
11/12/2014, 02:35 PM
Another option...

I stayed at the stoop one last time and the guy there recommended the Rustic Inn as the most similar motel with slightly higher rates. I checked it out and liked several things about it more than the Lizard although there are certainly some questions.

PROS
It has a STOOP!
Nice rooms with kitchenettes
Group rate isn't bad
Even closer to downtown than the Red Rock Lodge
Clean

CONS
8 rooms available for May 2015- this includes 6 rooms with 2 queens but that's still limited
2nd level above rooms could restrict late night partying

This is a good option but is limited in rooms available. The group rate is $89 for the single queen (1 avail), $99 for the double queen (6 avail), little more for the suite (1 avail). For the price it's a great deal, especially if you split a double queen room. If we want to go this option, I need to know this week because I need to reserve the group. This reservation will hold the available rooms until April and give time for everyone to book. The only issue would be not having enough rooms for everyone unless people don't mind doubling up. I'm actually not sure how many rooms our group typically reserves for the meet.

Rustic Lodge

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_102824_zps152to6ao.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_102824_zps152to6ao.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_102849_zpsvm6q9t3u.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_102849_zpsvm6q9t3u.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_103012_zpsefioz0iu.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_103012_zpsefioz0iu.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_103023_zps2uvptawd.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_103023_zps2uvptawd.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_103338_zpsldiknscz.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_103338_zpsldiknscz.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_103345_zpsjssbqqxi.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_103345_zpsjssbqqxi.jpg.html)

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r500/VXorado/20141111_103351_zpskyne4pkd.jpg (http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/VXorado/media/20141111_103351_zpskyne4pkd.jpg.html)

JoFotoz
11/12/2014, 02:46 PM
Lizard looks a bit too down market IMO.

The security aspect alone would phase me...

I do like the look of the Rustic..I'd be in for that.
Great parking, kitchenettes is awesome

It may be that for this year we need to split between a few places...
...and reserve at the best one for all of us for 2016.

Sort of a transition year... we sneak up on'em for 2015...
.... take over for 2016 :dan_ban::clap::dan_ban:

Jo

Jay Dunford
11/12/2014, 03:38 PM
Count me in for the rustic as well. Looks like a decent little joint. I'd take the single queen so my nightly beer off gassing wouldn't injure anyone.

ND92
11/12/2014, 04:34 PM
Well since I missed this years Moab shenanigans, I'm definitely not missing 2015's. It's sad that the RR is closing (such great memories there) but if change has to happen then I wouldn't want to go through the change with any other group of people but you guys. Count me in for the Rustic as well!!!!

ZEUS
11/13/2014, 04:47 PM
The Lizard looks as I expected & what you describe coincides with the vibe I gathered from reviews. Thanks for doing all that legwork, J.

BigSwede
11/13/2014, 06:50 PM
Lizard looks a bit too down market IMO.

There is a reason it is a cheap as it is...I figured it would be sorta like the places I lived in during my college years, and that is indeed what it looks like. And I'm OK with that for the price. But I will bow to will of the majority.

JoFotoz
11/13/2014, 07:14 PM
Yea , I hear ya...done many myself :thumbup:

There is a reason it is a cheap as it is...I figured it would be sorta like the places I lived in during my college years, and that is indeed what it looks like. And I'm OK with that for the price. But I will bow to will of the majority.

Its more the security aspect that puts me off....
...not to mention lack of bathrooms, terrible wi-fi and cleanliness !!

I dont need luxury by any means .... "The Stoop" attests to that! ...
... but talking with Jon after he visited, he was doubtful many would like it.

A Clean room, bed and shower.. :thumbup:

jo

BigSwede
11/14/2014, 02:30 PM
One cool thing about the Rustic: walking distance to breakfast at the Diner.

BTW the "group rate" mentioned for the Rustic is the same as the "book now for 2015 and get 10% off" rate on their website. So I would just get your room now, don't wait for the "group rate".

JoFotoz
11/14/2014, 03:34 PM
RUSTIC IS NOW FULL... I guess we hesitated too long!

BUT...

The Apache motel..close to Milts :eek:

.. has LOADS of rooms for our dates in may next year

http://www.apachemotelinmoab.com/amenities.html

I am talking to manager tomorrow about group rates etc.

Looks pretty good...pool...and even continental breakfast.

Rates to follow once I chat with manager...
..suggest we need to make a decision FAST.

It may not be perfect for May 2015... but we need something.
...and getting us all together in one place would be great.

We can scout others for May 2016 when we are there.

:drama:

Jo

BigSwede
11/14/2014, 08:29 PM
Worth a try. My only hesitation with the Apache is the residential neighborhood...I suspect we're not going to be able to party into the wee hours outside like we did at the RRL...but that might be the case anywhere else. It would be cool to be in one place though.

I actually reserved a "pet-friendly" room at the Rustic, you guys were too slow. :p But I'll move to the "motel where John Wayne stayed" with the group.

But I agree we need to jump on it NOW, our options are dwindling fast.

VXorado
11/15/2014, 06:41 AM
Worth a try. My only hesitation with the Apache is the residential neighborhood...I suspect we're not going to be able to party into the wee hours outside like we did at the RRL...but that might be the case anywhere else. It would be cool to be in one place though.

I actually reserved a "pet-friendly" room at the Rustic, you guys were too slow. :p But I'll move to the "motel where John Wayne stayed" with the group.

But I agree we need to jump on it NOW, our options are dwindling fast.

Yep, I called Wednesday (only a day after my visit) and the receptionist told me there were only a few rooms available but wasn't sure if he was looking at the books right. I left my number with the Rustic for them to call me back & sort out the confusion. No call but Jo nudged me yesterday and I gave them another ring. Same receptionist but he confirmed, 1 room & 1 Suite available. Without the group rate, the rooms were a bit higher... $129/nt vs $89/nt for a single queen.

NOW, for the following week the Rustic has 12 rms available. If it wasn't too painstaking, we could consider moving the Moab meet a week later. Then again, I'm sure it would be difficult/impossible for some to change the date.

Apache looks good enough to me... I like how it's walking distance to Milts.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1125/1438039085_42d64d05ff.jpg

If the rates are reasonable Jo, I say reserve the group. I should have booked the Rustic when I had the opportunity.

JoFotoz
11/15/2014, 12:33 PM
Just had a long chat with Sharon, the manager at the Apache.

1-800-228-6882

http://www.apachemotelinmoab.com/

Front View :- https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=il&output=classic&dg=brw

Maybe book Rooms at far right?..its a "Stoop" like setting :rolleyes: ?? ...
...or possibly at the back..for a more stealth approach !

Reviews on Yelp are certainly "mixed'...
...sounds like same standard as Red Rock was......
..tired, a bit shabby...but basic and Ok for our needs.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/apache-motel-moab

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the "Cliff" notes :-

Plenty of rooms available...discount negotiated for group.

Single bed KING rooms @ $79...instead of $89
Twin bed Queen rooms @ $85.. instead of $95

Suits ( dont know $$;s) and rooms with kitchenettes ( plus $5 per night)
are available.

RV's and Fifth wheels can be parked up/used , but no hook ups.
Cost for this to be negotiated if required. :thumbup:

No space for tents :thumbdn:

Pool closes at 9:00
Has BBQ area :thumbup:
WiFi throughout :thumbup:

PET FRIENDLY :thumbup:

NOISE... !!
I explained we hang out, chat..etc :eek:
She was cool.. basically said "nothing overly boisterous" that disturbs other guests after 10:00 pm ....
...... so thats a bit of a worry....and open to "experiment" !!

And YES...Milts is two blocks away!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suggest we jump on this...
It may not be perfect...but its got rooms for all which is great.
We can scout town for following year (maybe Rustic?)

Apache closes/off season November 30th... but Sharon ( manager) does monitor the e-mail

Apachemotel@frontiernet.net

I will probably book Monday..if not sooner....
...unless there is a good alternative.

Thoughts????

jo

BigSwede
11/15/2014, 01:03 PM
I think we should go for it. The rooms look fine. And the alternatives are few. As far as which side - if we stand a chance of "taking over" the back rooms (are there less of them? I can't tell) that might be a good thing. Either way, the more we can concentrate our rooms the better.

JoFotoz
11/15/2014, 02:14 PM
Yea.. I think its time to pull the trigger too...

..before nothing is left!

I dont know about back, but looks to me like its a mirror image.

I think best would be to get the upstairs and downstairs, in a block...
..then we can hang out at one end...away from other guests.

I'll call her tomorrow morning after / if there is any more feedback/ideas.

jo

MSHardeman
11/15/2014, 09:44 PM
I'm cool with the Apache. What dates are we reserving for again?

JoFotoz
11/16/2014, 12:28 PM
OK...APACHE IT IS !

I have booked..so has Dub.

I am booked May 9th - May 17th

To book:-

Call SHARON, mention Isuzu VX group.

CALL HER BEFORE 1:00 .. so MORNINGS !

1-800-228-6882...if this line is bad/static then call:-

1-435-220-1175

She is going to do her best to put us all together at far right of the front of Apache...
...both upstairs and downstairs.

This should set us up fairly "Stoop" like :thumbup:

So call and book!

:_steering:jump::dance:

Jo

BigSwede
11/16/2014, 08:00 PM
I posted this on Planet Isuzoo...

JoFotoz
11/16/2014, 08:27 PM
Good call... :thumbup:

I posted this on Planet Isuzoo...