PDA

View Full Version : VX in Germany - advice

wekilled
11/01/2014, 04:46 AM
So, the VX made it to Germany and we picked it up at the port in Bremerhaven and drove the 5 hours back down to Wiesbaden. Lots of turning heads and craning necks the entire way and any time it is on the Autobahn.

Here's the kicker: I recently got it inspected for my plates, and as you can imagine the Germans are not very receptive of freaky custom vehicles. (I have a lift, large rims and tires) they are very thorough, test driving it, pulling it over a pit, etc.

Most of the stuff was small, such as the LED blinkers blinking too fast, the handbrake went up too far, removing my fog lights on my brush guard, and the persistent ABS light issue. All of these are easy to fix. (ABS removal file on this site) The final two would be simple to fix if I had access to AutoZone, O'Reilleys, or any other parts store and a chain muffler shop. I think I need to get ahold of an online store that ships to an APO here to fix the two biggest issues:

1. Tires and rims stick out about 2.5 inches from my fenders: (16"x9" rims and 285/60 R18s) I'd like to find a flare by the foot or something universal that can be shipped to screw inside the wheels wells to fix this. Something I can remove once I get restationed back in the States. It must look as "stock" as possible. Thinking maybe a company that sells "curved" flares in rolls. I will look like crap but will allow me to pass inspection.

2. Muffler: I have a Magnaflow clone that the German inspectors decided to stick a microphone up to and measure the decibels (about 97.4db) when they revved it up. I need to find an online parts store where I can buy a cheap stock muffler that I can bolt on to pass inspection. Maybe a resonator? I'd stick the old stock muffler on, but of course I tossed it thinking I would never need it again. I'd pack it with steel wool but they'd likely notice tampering when it was pulled over the pit.

Any sage advice would be helpful both in terms of the fixes and any good online sources that ship overseas to a military APO for parts.

I admit this is completely self-inflicted pain that easily could have been avoided if I went through a 12 step program for my VX.

Thoughts?

httphttp://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VXpassClose.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/24488)://

workmeistr
11/01/2014, 07:41 AM
I'm thinking a roll of lawn edge molding could serve as temporary tire cover, as you stated, affixed by the existing attachment screws which should have enough thread for 1/8" wide material. Congrats on the PCS. I just retired; it's a good feeling. Take care.

Mile High VX
11/01/2014, 07:51 AM
These may meet your needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacer-Performance-52-156-Standard-Extension/dp/B000CPC8Z8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414853433&sr=8-1&keywords=fender+flares+universal

rowhard
11/01/2014, 08:02 AM
Hey Doug, that's why I liked the Air Force, we didn't move nearly as often as you Army guys, but that was a different era.

would think most any of the parts houses would ship to a APO, but if not, be happy to help out and ship from here.

enjoy Wiesbaden, was a fun place back in the 80's :yesy: but everything was then

bartmanS4
11/01/2014, 09:37 AM
Any sage advice would be helpful both in terms of the fixes and any good online sources that ship overseas to a military APO for parts.

I admit this is completely self-inflicted pain that easily could have been avoided if I went through a 12 step program for my VX.

Thoughts?

The first step is admitting you have a problem. ;)

Are there used Isuzu parts available nearby? I just replaced my pretty loud cherry bomb vortex. Since I have a parts trooper car I just repurposed its muffler. They will fit with a minimum of modification. All I had to do was cut the pipe to take out a section between the flange and the muffler. I left about an inch and a half at the flange and about three and a half inches at the muffler. Then used a 2-1/8th" coupler and some exhaust sealer to fit it back together. Works like a charm and so quiet now that I have to watch my tachometer when shifting and accelerating. I know I'm going to miss that rumble though, especially when dropping steep descents in 4lo.
Can you throw a set of stock wheels on just for the inspection? Find a mate that has a set of compatible wheels and swap them out temporarily at the auto skills center on post. Not sure how the polizei or other government bodies would react if at all to large tires after the inspection.
I really enjoyed my time stationed in West Germany, I was in Landstuhl in the late 80s and PCS'd six days before the wall came down. Talk about bad timing, I would have loved to experience that first hand. I hope you get the chance to travel around a bit. I can just picture the expression on the border guards faces when they see the VX. :bgwb:

wekilled
11/02/2014, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Mile High VX, I did order the flares, so we will see if that can get me through the inspection here. Now on to a muffler. It really chaps my azz to have to fork out money for an OEM type muffler. I guess I should have hung on to the huge school bus muffler that came stock.

workmeistr
11/03/2014, 04:11 AM
Make sure we see pictures of the flared beasty.