PDA

View Full Version : VX sets lap record

Makocross
10/13/2014, 05:04 PM
Oct. 13, 2014. Watkins Glen, New York
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/image127.jpg
Former formula car racer Mike Benjamin took his 1999 Vehicross to a new class record at this famed track. This particular Vehicross was specially modified to fit into the rare Vehicross with a Dagger Blackwater II kayak on a custom rack, front and rear receiver hitches, 22" wheels with cheap Chinese tires class. The world record lap time has now been set at 4:27 minutes.
When Mike was asked about the new record he said, "I feel pretty safe that this record will stand for awhile. This is the fasted time I have ever set at this particular track in any vehicle, ever!"
When Guiness World Book of Records was contacted about this specific record their response was "huh?" Further showing how significant this event was in the world of motoring.

JoFotoz
10/13/2014, 05:31 PM
Hearty Congrats...a fine effort :cool:

http://www.seawaychina.com/productimages/-main/BNY-Cup-Winners-Trophy-1966-DB410.jpg

jo

blacksambo
10/21/2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks for at least trying...bravo!

Makocross
10/22/2014, 06:12 AM
Well, now the real story. Yes I was a formula car racer in the 70's and of course I had always wanted to race at Watkins Glen which never happened. Fast forward forty some years and my wife and I motorhoming the northeast with the Vehicross on a trailer behind. We get to the Finger Lakes region, where Watkins Glen is located and I read that on certain times and days you can drive your personal car around the track following a track vehicle. This doesn't sound like the most fun, but I figure I can cheat a little. We get at the track at the appointed time lined up behind two SUV's and in front of two hatchbacks. A red track pickup comes and opens the gate and says follow me for two laps, then we will stop for photos at the start finish line. My wife does not want to go with me, but I promise I won't go fast(lie) because we have a kayak on top and cheap Chinese wheels. The track truck only goes 55 mph, but everyone spreads out because the SUV's loaded with kids goes about 35 mph. This track is a lot more vertical than you can see on TV and the track truck can't see me anymore, so I found out I can drop back on the straights and at least attack on the corners. The Vehicross handles the turns really well. My Vehicross is very loud so I haven't been able to really push it to the limits for more than one corner on the street. Now I have about forty corners to play with. I eased up to the first corners because of the kayak on top, but the Vehicross doesn't seem to be that affected by the excess weight on top. At the limit and beyond it handles great. I thought the TOD might be a problem losing traction on one wheel and delivering more torque to another. Nope, it worked better than advertised. With all four wheels squealing the handling was completely controllable. The two hatchbacks behind me could not keep up with the acceleration or the speed through the corners. It was lots of fun to go fast in short spurts and not have to worry about the cops. It took about two turns before I forget about the cheap Chinese wheels, which didn't break, and the wife ended up having lots of fun once she realized I wasn't going to kill us. So if any one is every in the Watkins Glen Area I would highly recommend doing this, even if you are I. A rental car.
Mike

Leon R
10/22/2014, 07:14 AM
Great story, Mike! I am glad to hear that I am not the only crazy person here to take VX to a track (drag strip in my case, where it ran 17.0's like clockwork). My current “race car” is a ’93 Eagle Summit minivan, which I race in AutoX, oval track and drag strip. So I love taking cars out of their element :). Only my Summit is pretty competitive ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAB30cuX0Eo

I am toying with brining VX there one day (probably after I boost the power ether with LS4 or a turbo on a stock 3.5)

Cobrajet
10/22/2014, 07:23 AM
My understanding is that running Watkins Glen on cheap Chinese wheels it will cause your transmission to slip, and eventually fail. Be careful.

WormGod
10/22/2014, 07:46 AM
Tried a few times in the past to get local autoX events to allow me to enter my VX. Having been through a racing school and with many years experience racing my Subies, who could say no?

Well, they said no. They reminded me of the time when some "kid" brought his brand new (still had temps) Dodge Nitro Detonator to the event and they let him run. Rolled it on it's side in the first corner. I was there, it was funny.

So, no matter how much exp and how long I have done it, they said rules is rules. I can respect that....

I would certainly want to put smaller street tires on though. Thinking the 285/60 Terra Grapplers wouldn't be so good. :bgwo: (had Yokohama AVS on before, andother than fast wear, they were a fairly nice street tire)

Makocross
10/22/2014, 04:05 PM
My understanding is that running Watkins Glen on cheap Chinese wheels it will cause your transmission to slip, and eventually fail. Be careful.

I didn't read the fine print, it will get you every time.
Mike