PDA

View Full Version : Airbag stolen! Anybody ever install a replacement?

psychonectar
10/11/2014, 09:44 AM
Hey guys. So unfortunately my vx was broken into and my drivers airbag was stolen! I immediately purchased a replacement from ebay and it should be here soon. Has anybody on here ever replaced theirs? If so, any kind of tutorial would really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

VXorado
10/11/2014, 11:33 AM
Yep, with the ignition off you just need to plug in the pigtail. I'd steer clear of it just in case but chances of anything happening are very slim. Two screws hold it onto the steering wheel and you're done. 5 minute install.

...and who the hell steals an airbag?

psychonectar
10/11/2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks man. That sounds easy enough. Hey which part am I "steering clear" of? Also, by "ignition off" do you mean to disconnect the battery, or just don't have the key in the ignition? Thanks again for your help with this!

ron
10/11/2014, 12:19 PM
Disconnect negative terminal on battery. As mentioned earlier, two screws and two plugs to disconnect. Reverse steps to install. Done within 5 minutes. HTH. rudy

Y33TREKker
10/12/2014, 06:09 AM
...and who the hell steals an airbag?
From what I've heard, they're taken for the platinum used for the electrical connections.

VXorado
10/12/2014, 07:18 AM
Thanks man. That sounds easy enough. Hey which part am I "steering clear" of? Also, by "ignition off" do you mean to disconnect the battery, or just don't have the key in the ignition? Thanks again for your help with this!

Airbags don't really work with the ignition off i.e. a parked car that's off and is hit by another car will not deploy airbags. The rumor is there's still enough power reserved to deploy airbags for a couple minutes after the ignition is off. That being said, you could always be extra cautious and pull the battery lead or pull the two airbag fuses (if you don't want to lose radio memory).

Just for extra safety, I stayed clear of the airbag when I turned the ignition back on for the 1st time. I installed a JDM Vehicross steering wheel which required rewiring of the airbag. I did a lot of research and was very cautious during the install because of the changes.

From what I've heard, they're taken for the platinum used for the electrical connections.

Crazy, you can but them $35 at the local junkyard and they're everywhere. I wonder if I should start a side business as a Platinum dealer? :thumbup: